If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 19, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #9,841 of 19,272
Getting good results from Dekoni Bulletz foam tips. They're a lot denser and smoother than Comply foam tips, so I'm getting a much better seal from the small tips from Dekoni than Comply.

I'm also not noticing any treble muting, irrespective of Comply. Might stick with these for a while.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #9,842 of 19,272
I think the problem might be the reverse, as in too tight of a seal. Either pressuring against my ear canal negatively effects mid/bass reverberation, or the holes in the tips are being squeezed in from the force and allowing less sound through.

I've experienced something kind of similar before, where too tight of a seal over pressures something in my ear and hampers my ability to hear the music clearly, making it pretty much unlistenable. It might have something to do with suction, where too much suction causes a pressure imbalance to nearly the point of air tight, giving some frequencies less impact.

The clear tips fit me pretty much perfectly though. Good seal, but not overly tight. I'm still interested in what a more shallow, single flange tip would sound like, but I can't find any for Etymotic online.

I say do whatever works as far as tips go. I can relate to the problem of pushing them too far in. Maybe the tip is bending at a curve in your (my) ear canal. I can't push mine in as far as I've seen some people push theirs in. I use the old large triple flange grey stock tips. Nothing better, in my experience. I get them in a certain distance at first. Then after 5 minutes or so I try to pop my ears out a little (like when flying on a plane) and then I push them in to their proper distance (for me). Couldn't be happier. I'm on a budget and got mine for $120 on eBay a couple years ago. They were already 10-12 yrs old. One cable replacement later due to a suitcase wheel run over accident, and I'm good to go. Would like the xr but I'm on budget!

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #9,844 of 19,272
Just a heads up on a good deal that I saw recently. It was at the Jaben local store in Singapore, but since they have an international online store, you might try your luck: S$638 or $450 for a ER4SR/XR bundled with a Snug custom eartips. Essentially that means you're paying $100 for the custom tips if that's what you're looking for.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #9,845 of 19,272
...and here is how they look together: ER4SR with Snug.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #9,847 of 19,272
how is the pairing for the m1 and er4sr?

Quite good actually. M1 has a slightly warmish sound that gives the ER4SR a thicker body.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #9,848 of 19,272
OK, here's a question for anyone who cares to reply...

I own both the older ER4S and the ER4P, but can only afford to upgrade one right now. I'll probably do the ER4P, but I can't decide if I should chose the ER4SR or the ER4XR. You guys might think this is too subjective for a recommendation, but I can't decide and the OCD part of my brain is going nuts!

For what it's worth, I listen to classical music almost exclusively, in FLAC forma. Powered by a JDS Labs Element.

Thanks in advance to whomever responds!!

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #9,849 of 19,272
OK, here's a question for anyone who cares to reply...

I own both the older ER4S and the ER4P, but can only afford to upgrade one right now. I'll probably do the ER4P, but I can't decide if I should chose the ER4SR or the ER4XR. You guys might think this is too subjective for a recommendation, but I can't decide and the OCD part of my brain is going nuts!

For what it's worth, I listen to classical music almost exclusively, in FLAC forma. Powered by a JDS Labs Element.

Thanks in advance to whomever responds!!

Hi! First of all, I think you'd be better off upgrading the ER4S, because you can always buy the P-to-S adapter for the P and turn it into an S!

I think since you already have the P and S, the SR is frankly a little redundant of a purchase. The XR sounds great with classical music, and the added bass is incredibly welcome (and tight) when the music demands it.

Nov 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #9,851 of 19,272
SR. S sounds thin. 
I think since you already have the P and S, the SR is frankly a little redundant of a purchase. The XR sounds great with classical music, and the added bass is incredibly welcome (and tight) when the music demands it.

What? Absolutly not! S sounds thin, less resolution, less airiness. SR are so good, that you will never return to old ER4.

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #9,853 of 19,272
Sorry if this was brought up before, but has anyone tried the oval tips from the Klipsch X series on the ER4? Those tips are incredibly comfortable for me, and was wondering if it's a bad idea to use them with the Etymotics if it affects the sound too much or doesn't fit.

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #9,854 of 19,272
  SR. S sounds thin. 
What? Absolutly not! S sounds thin, less resolution, less airiness. SR are so good, that you will never return to old ER4.

ER4S doesn't sound thin, resolution is pretty similar.
It's just that your source lacks guts to provide enough powa
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #9,855 of 19,272
  @EtyDave: any update on a 1/8" balanced cable offering for the ER4S/XR's?

If not, does anyone know if Null Audio is offering them?

Funny that you should ask.

Prototypes just got here and look good.  We'll probably have these for sale Jan 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back