If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 8, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #8,551 of 19,292
  Can anyone tell me what the reference number is for the foams that come with the ER4XR? I've looked on the Ety site and it only seems ot mention black foams but these are like a grey memory foam. I'm finding them really good and I want to stock up!

Gray memory foam? Sounds promising. Have any pics of them. I would like to give them a shot.

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #8,552 of 19,292
Hello, can someone please help me out with these questions? 

1. I already have a 1 year old pair of ER4-PT's is it worth buying ER4SR? 

2. Have anyone tried custom-fit Snugs Half shell? If so do you have any pro, cons or perhaps other recommendations for custom-fit? I use comply foam Isolation 100 without wax-guard. They are GREAT, but it's such a hassle to replace all the time.

thank you
Chris

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #8,555 of 19,292
  Can anyone tell me what the reference number is for the foams that come with the ER4XR? I've looked on the Ety site and it only seems ot mention black foams but these are like a grey memory foam. I'm finding them really good and I want to stock up!

They're same I think: ER38-14F

Check this: https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER38-14F-Replacement-Eartips/dp/B0078JXDRI

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #8,556 of 19,292
No Photoshop, they came with the er4xr. That's why I'm asking, there's no mention of memory foam tips on the ety website. Perhaps they're new, certainly didn't have anything like these when I had er4pt

These are not listed under "New ER•4 - ER4SR / ER4XR Accessories" on the etymotic website. Did you photoshop them?

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #8,558 of 19,292
Hi all.  So I am curious if...

the ER4SR has a little less bass than the ER4PT, or about the same?  (I assume the XRs have a little more)

How much harder the ER4SR/XR are to drive than the ER4PT?  What % less loud, at max volume, can one expect the SR/XR to be than the PT?  (I use the Sansa Clip +)  ...... Maybe 10%?

Thanks for any thoughts.  Like many here I am pretty interested in these new phones.  :D

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #8,559 of 19,292
  Hi all.  So I am curious if...

the ER4SR has a little less bass than the ER4PT, or about the same?  (I assume the XRs have a little more)

How much harder the ER4SR/XR are to drive than the ER4PT?  What % less loud, at max volume, can one expect the SR/XR to be than the PT?  (I use the Sansa Clip +)  ...... Maybe 10%?

Thanks for any thoughts.  Like many here I am pretty interested in these new phones.  :D

you could just read the specs on the webpage, the SR is 98db@0.1v , the PT is 102db@0.1v.  because I'm so good at math, I can tell the new ones will be 4db quieter at 1khz.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #8,561 of 19,292
EtyDave, could you please clarify for me something.
I had ordered a set of frost clear triple flanges from Etymotic for replacing my old deformed pair.
Today I got a package and there is pretty much confusing situation: the new ones are clearly smaller than the default that can be found in ER4s' package.
I somehow dissapointed cause it can't be returned (return shipping will cost too much); the new eartips don't give me enough seal or so it feels for now.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #8,563 of 19,292
  EtyDave, could you please clarify for me something.
I had ordered a set of frost clear triple flanges from Etymotic for replacing my old deformed pair.
Today I got a package and there is pretty much confusing situation: the new ones are clearly smaller than the default that can be found in ER4s' package.
I somehow dissapointed cause it can't be returned (return shipping will cost too much); the new eartips don't give me enough seal or so it feels for now.

Unfortunately, the standard "frost" tips are the smaller ones.  We call those standard because they are what ship on the earphones.  The larger size come in gray and clear.  Years ago, we shipped with the larger size on the product but we found that, if those were too large, it really put some folks off the product.  If the eartips are too small, then people tend to put the larger ones on and it's not an issue.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #8,564 of 19,292
Just wondering if anyone has compared the XR's to the etymotic mc5's. Something tells me they are similar.

The XRs use a balanced armature driver and the MC5s use a dynamic driver.  The response of the XRs is much more similar to our other  balanced armature products (ER4, HF).  The MC5 curve is significantly different than the XR.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #8,565 of 19,292

you could just read the specs on the webpage, the SR is 98db@0.1v , the PT is 102db@0.1v.  because I'm so good at math, I can tell the new ones will be 4db quieter at 1khz.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back