If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #331 of 19,251
Quote:
Thanks for the Info.....Now how can i make my Er4PT/s Into a B ? Dont tell me I have to buy another?

Sorry, But after I posted. I reread your post.

To make a S or P into a B, you would need to send your ER-4 to Etymotic.

Where they will recable, Inspect, and Test your headset.

If all checks out O.K. They recable for 50 bucks.

Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #332 of 19,251
Quote:
Dear god, I just got my ER-4B and am listening to Pyramid Song by Radiohead. I'm getting chills and hearing things I've never heard before. I can't wait til my amp arrives so I can see if/how they improve.

I love Radiohead's engineering and production -- super clean even with tons of noises going on.  A great test for detail retreival and instrument separation is "National Anthem" from Kid A, most esp. when the horns start soloing and going crazy in 2nd half of the song -- even with the horns blaring, you can still hear the errie synthesizers and Tom's voice underneath.  ER-4 handles everything with no mashing sounds together.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #333 of 19,251
Quote:

I love Radiohead's engineering and production -- super clean even with tons of noises going on.  A great test for detail retreival and instrument separation is "National Anthem" from Kid A, most esp. when the horns start soloing and going crazy in 2nd half of the song -- even with the horns blaring, you can still hear the errie synthesizers and Tom's voice underneath.  ER-4 handles everything with no mashing sounds together.

Agreed, I am currently listening to Halo, Combat Evolved...

The ER-4 are making it seem like Child's Play.

Thank You Etymotic...

Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #334 of 19,251
I suggest this adapter to turn any ER-4 in to it's B version. It's a bit expensive considering you also need to buy a cable, but it will make them  more comfortable for an over the ear fit and the Westone cables are more comfortable themselves. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #335 of 19,251
^just ordered those last night, as well as the shure version. Now to wait 2 weeks til they get here from freakin hong kong =/

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #336 of 19,251
I suggest this adapter to turn any ER-4 in to it's B version. It's a bit expensive considering you also need to buy a cable, but it will make them  more comfortable for an over the ear fit and the Westone cables are more comfortable themselves. 

Ya know, I have seen that before...

But, it will cost more for that setup then for Ety to do it right.

That means the final product being tested and balanced by an Ety Tech.

That ain't happening with a DIY Kit at home.

Too many variables.

Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #338 of 19,251
Buy a P then buy the S and B adapters from the seller I linked. You have the choice of either Westone or Shure cables. It's more expensive than sending it to Ety, but more practical, not a fan of Etymotics cables. If you are open to sending it for testing, PM me.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #339 of 19,251
^^^ If it were a solid option, it would not need to be tested.

I would contend that the modification link to awwan's parts and another cable supplier will change it from the intended design of Etymotic.

Hence, Why spend more for less?

Just my thoughts, Jim

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #340 of 19,251
You spend more because it gives you the option between the 3 and a much nicer cable configuration.

Etymotic isn't doing anything as fancy as they make it out to be. The S adapter is basically a resistor of 75ohms, the cable that changes it to an S has this resistor within the cable. Even a 10$ plug 75ohm adaptor will give you what "etymotic intended".

The B adapter is the same resistor plus a cap, that's it.

Knowing this awwman sells those parts, my suggestion for tests are only to be conclusive, they're most likely legit.

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #341 of 19,251
Nicer Cable Config? Your opinion. Have you seen it worn? I would like to see a pic.

Etymotic uses a much greater science than you give them credit for. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.
Lets take a Super Car and put some Pep Boys Tires on it... I mean after all they are black and made of rubber. No need to spend thousands, when we can spend only a couple hundred. Right? WRONG.

Speculation on your part about it being legit...Shows me your doubt. You have the means to put this to rest properly. With Measured Results. Not Audiophile Speculation.

I am very surprised by your answers Inks.

Jim

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #342 of 19,251
Let me please Clarify.....What I should have mentioned I already have my Ety PT/S . 
Now I would also LIKE to experience the B version....
So Which is the best option :
Get the Adapter and that snotty green cable? (sorry just hate the looks of it)

Or Does Etymotic sell something Like an Adapter with their own Cable..
Or Will they get me to buy another IEM?

Hmm Decisions Decisions

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #343 of 19,251
Hi,

Anyone in the NJ/NYC area have a P==>S adapter that I could try out?  I don't suppose J&R or any place would have them available to try?
If I like the S better with my amp, and it isn't too bad directly from iphone, I might replace my cable with S version.

Thanks

Marty

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #344 of 19,251
Nicer Cable Config? Your opinion. Have you seen it worn? I would like to see a pic.
Etymotic uses a much greater science than you give them credit for. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.
Lets take a Super Car and put some Pep Boys Tires on it... I mean after all they are black and made of rubber. No need to spend thousands, when we can spend only a couple hundred. Right? WRONG.
Speculation on your part about it being legit...Shows me your doubt. You have the means to put this to rest properly. With Measured Results. Not Audiophile Speculation.
I am very surprised by your answers Inks.
Jim

Westone cables are much better than Etymotics, ask anyone that has had both. People complain the Etys are uncomfortable for many because it can't be worn over the ear as smoothly as a Shure or Westone, this allows that.

It is that easy, they themselves admit the S has a resistor change, that's it, no more. I have seen a broken S cable, the gray portion is what holds the resistor. The B has another part attached to the cable as well, that's it.

I'm afraid that example isn't proper in this case, IMO.

Its not conclusive, but I have reassurance based on my experience that you'll get the same results. You can't be certain they aren't legit either, so we can just await till there are tests done.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #345 of 19,251
Another happy hongKong adapter + westone cable user here. Works great! Might just try the b adapter out as well. I wish you could recall something about that last component in the b-adapter, inks...

Hm-602 + er4s is my favourite portable solution for er4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back