If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 26, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #17,731 of 19,246
Impressions of the ER4... ER3SE is better than ER4S and ER4XR in technical ability. (About to be a hot take but..) in my opinion I don't think the ER4S and ER4XR have anything going for it over the ER3SE when you add a 48 ohm cable to the 3SE to match the S tonality. I liked how ethereal the bass speed / decay was on the ER4S though. In crowded and compressed music you can hear basslines more clearly on the ER4S but in songs where the bass guitar is basically a lead it sounds almost weightless.
ER4S is kind of like an ER2SE but on steroids, because of the similar way it presents music (like a kinda closed orchestra) but having superior detail retrieval (seriously BA Ety micro detail retrieval is amazing). But I can't call the ER3SE "an ER4S on steroids" or "an ER2SE on steroids" because of the different way it presents music. The instrument separation is cleaner and the way it presents vocals is kind of diffuse/distant, and it kind of "reverbs".
Btw I am using Comply P Series small size tips for all my comparisons, they affect the sound of the ER3SE a lot but less so on the ER4.

Apr 26, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #17,732 of 19,246
Impressions of the ER4... ER3SE is better than ER4S and ER4XR in technical ability. (About to be a hot take but..) in my opinion I don't think the ER4S and ER4XR have anything going for it over the ER3SE when you add a 48 ohm cable to the 3SE to match the S tonality. I liked how ethereal the bass speed / decay was on the ER4S though. In crowded and compressed music you can hear basslines more clearly on the ER4S but in songs where the bass guitar is basically a lead it sounds almost weightless.

Interesting. I have the ER4XE and love it, but the only other Etymotic I’ve compared it with is my previous (now ancient) ER6i. They’re miles beyond the 6i. Now I’m curious about the ER3SE.

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #17,733 of 19,246
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #17,734 of 19,246
Well, you are right that the ER3SE is better technical - no secret there. And yes, they do sound the same as a ER4 with a ohm resistor.

But... I'm the kind of person who loves a HD650 - and therefor prefer the more weighty sound of the XR versions. It just sounds correct to my ear canals.

Second,- I don't like adding a resistors, or changing cables... So guess what I have :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #17,735 of 19,246
Well, you are right that the ER3SE is better technical - no secret there. And yes, they do sound the same as a ER4 with a ohm resistor.

But... I'm the kind of person who loves a HD650 - and therefor prefer the more weighty sound of the XR versions. It just sounds correct to my ear canals.

Second,- I don't like adding a resistors, or changing cables... So guess what I have :wink:
Fair... I'm the type of listener that prefers the HD 600 over the HD 650 because it's "higher res". My biases are mainly influenced by speed and separation ability first, and tonal balance comes next.

And the ER3SE is still amazing to me with the stock cable (no resistor), I think chasing for the 48Ω cable is a perfectionist's pursuit. The Comply P Series tips aren't optional though, they truly "unlock" the true potential of the ER3SE, but it's admittedly the weakest link in the setup.

Apr 27, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #17,736 of 19,246
I’m using the ER4S with the Mojo 2 and adding the following Mojo 2 DSP settings:

Etymotic Research ER4S

110 Ohm

Mojo 2

Bass 20 Hz +3

Bass 125 Hz Shelf +2

So, with adding 1-2dB to the mid-bass frequencies (below 200Hz) and 3-4dB to the lower-bass and sub-bass (below 100Hz), the ER4S sounds nice with more bass

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #17,737 of 19,246
The ER3SE is a ER4PT revamp, You can actually EQ it into a ER4B by using a 3KHz High shelf at 5db with a Q of 0.3. I'm using a 75ohm adaptor my ER3XR sounds no different to a ER4XR i sent back but the only issue is that It as power hungry as the ER4S.

I rather get a ER4SR since It pretty much a easier to power ER4S.

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #17,738 of 19,246
The ER3SE is a ER4PT revamp, You can actually EQ it into a ER4B by using a 3KHz High shelf at 5db with a Q of 0.3. I'm using a 75ohm adaptor my ER3XR sounds no different to a ER4XR i sent back but the only issue is that It as power hungry as the ER4S.

I rather get a ER4SR since It pretty much a easier to power ER4S.
ER3SE may be the same as ER4PT in frequency response, but different in technical performance.
I'm sure the difference between the ER4S and ER4B isn't also just frequency response, that's what I've seen from Degru's impressions of the ER4S vs ER4B.
Not sure about 4SR yet, but if it's anything like the 4S I don't want it.

Also guys, try this tip mod. Comply P series medium, with the foam around the sound opening cut off. Should look like the ety foamy. I realized that the medium size sounded drier/blunter compared to the small size because of the extra material around the sound opening. Cut it off on the medium size and then you got the true full potential of the Ety! (Small size had rolled off bass and treble for me)
ER3SE is like a crazy reverberation chamber/good room in your head with this.
IMG20220428192316.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #17,739 of 19,246
I’m using the ER4S with the Mojo 2 and adding the following Mojo 2 DSP settings:

Etymotic Research ER4S

110 Ohm

Mojo 2

Bass 20 Hz +3

Bass 125 Hz Shelf +2

So, with adding 1-2dB to the mid-bass frequencies (below 200Hz) and 3-4dB to the lower-bass and sub-bass (below 100Hz), the ER4S sounds nice with more bass
Weird how many overlooked the ER4S just because It was Single BA despite the fact the ER3/ER4 can handle a lot of bass through EQ.

Apr 30, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #17,740 of 19,246
You do know that the ER4XR is higer impedance :) ??

45 ohm vs. 22 ohm :)

Them more ohm they have them quieter they be when sensitivity is the same. :wink:

More ohm's changes the sound signature, and in some cases gives better driver control.

So in short, everything is as it should be
I had no idea...

I just like listening to good music through good hardware/software. More edumacation is needed for me on these finer points. I've been on this forum for about a month now but I haven't seen any discussion on the volume/loudness; I guess most people know about it or it's not an issue for them. I like to have my ears last a long time so no pushing past "11" for me. I was very surprised how noticeably quiet my ER4XR was, especially compared to my $50 KZ ZS10 Pro. The KZ brings in-your-face sound with huge bass, treble and enough mids. I HATE to admit that I like the KZ far better than ER4XR on a Hi-Fi forum, what's wrong with me???

On the other hand, I am keeping my ER3SE, it's noticeably louder and sounds good to my cheap ears.

As I stated, my journey on the hi-fi road continues...

PS: I've already mailed off the ER4XR back to Amazon. Now, which IEM do you recommend for around $300-350 range? Must have low impedance and high sensitivity, with a bit of bass, ie ER4XR with low ohm and high decibel(?).

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #17,741 of 19,246
I had no idea...

I just like listening to good music through good hardware/software. More edumacation is needed for me on these finer points. I've been on this forum for about a month now but I haven't seen any discussion on the volume/loudness; I guess most people know about it or it's not an issue for them. I like to have my ears last a long time so no pushing past "11" for me. I was very surprised how noticeably quiet my ER4XR was, especially compared to my $50 KZ ZS10 Pro. The KZ brings in-your-face sound with huge bass, treble and enough mids. I HATE to admit that I like the KZ far better than ER4XR on a Hi-Fi forum, what's wrong with me???

On the other hand, I am keeping my ER3SE, it's noticeably louder and sounds good to my cheap ears.

PS: I've already mailed off the ER4XR back to Amazon. Now, which IEM do you recommend for around $300-350 range? Must have low impedance and high sensitivity, with a bit of bass, ie ER4XR with low ohm and high decibel(?).

You have no reason to be embarrassed. Sound perception is highly personal and subjective. Things that sound fantastic to me may sound horrible to you. That’s why this hobby has so much to offer. There’s a sound profile out there for everyone. It’s just a matter of finding the one (or many many more) you like. Don’t get hung up on what others like or what the community generally dubs “superior.” Go with your own taste and you’ll be golden.

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #17,742 of 19,246
I had no idea...

First thing first, - there is nothing wrong with you just because you like more bass and a V shaped headphone. Some, of not alot, of music does sound better on classic "harman target” headphones.

Is it a accurate sound ? Nope.. but does it sound good, - most times yes.

Now here is where it gets tricky, - if you at some point notice, that you hear more details in the music, say when listening to instrumental, classic, country, acoustic... Because the bass is not dominating, or the vocals are not reassessed, - then you may what something more neutral.

As for GREAT iems for 300us ( if not less) l, with stupid good bass, soundstage, can run on anything, and UBER imaging... = Sennheiser IE300.

I have had them, - sold them and still regret it to this day.. now waiting to buy the IE600 when they come out ( maybe ), and if they aren't good, then I'm getting the IE300 again :)

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #17,743 of 19,246
I had no idea...

i havent heard it but the blessing2 dusk is like ER4 midrange with more bass and treble

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #17,744 of 19,246
i havent heard it but the blessing2 dusk is like ER4 midrange with more bass and treble
It has more bass yes, midrange is the same.

It does not have more "treble" or air so to say..
BUT - and it's a BIG BUT
It sadly has a ear canal resonance peaks at 7k-14k depending ear canal length and insertion.

This peak - may be to your liking and everything will sound super natural, - or it will make everything have sssssssibelence. So it's like 50/50... All depending on how God made you :)

I was not so lucky...

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #17,745 of 19,246
It has more bass yes, midrange is the same.

It does not have more "treble" or air so to say..
BUT - and it's a BIG BUT
It sadly has a ear canal resonance peaks at 7k-14k depending ear canal length and insertion.

This peak - may be to your liking and everything will sound super natural, - or it will make everything have sssssssibelence. So it's like 50/50... All depending on how God made you :)

I was not so lucky...
i get ear canal resonances at 8-9k on shallow insertion iems. 13k on etys.
also taking individual hrtf into consideration, some people may not ever like etymotic-style mid range tuning because some perceive it as peaky/shouty. for me etymotics have slightly elevated upper midrange, and then the loudest point is around 4k, i think my hrtf has a dip around 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back