If you have a good set of earphones, does the player matter in terms of the overall sound quality heard?
Oct 11, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ashwin

New Head-Fier

Hi, 

I was wanting to ask if the audio player mattered as much if you've a really good / decent set of earphones to go along? (not considering FLAC files or lossless of course, more like MP3s, where its already been highly compressed and lossy)

More specifically would the sound from a COWON S9 + Klipsch S4 system be appreciably better than an APPLE ITOUCH + Klipsch S4 system?

The reason I am asking is because (sometimes) its about power output also..While Cowon is rated 29mW against a 16ohm impedance earphone, the apple product would have an equivalent of about 60mW against the same 16ohm impedance earphone. But apart from the volume, does that mean anything about sound quality heard?

I was hoping to get some guidance on this matter as I've only recently started to become "audiophillic"; if i might coin that term.

Thanks,

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Small but important differences methinks. . . anything but an ipod sounds good to me. I haven't heard the most recent ipods tho.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 5
The SQ on most players is pretty equal, tho some might have slight bass roll-off. Not really perceptible to the human ear, but it's there. If you throw in EQ settings, everything changes. The iPod has good SQ, but their EQ is only presets - and decent at that. A Sony, Cowon, Samsung, or Rockboxed Sansa player's EQ is fantastic. Even a Rockboxed iPod is amazing sounding, as RB has a damn fine EQ.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 5
Which one sounds better is really preference and a matter of opinion. Though it is pretty handy to have EQ on standby.

In terms of SQ, I think the phones and amp matters more than the PMP.

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Small but important differences methinks. . . anything but an ipod sounds good to me. I haven't heard the most recent ipods tho.

i completely agree.  ipods are OFF and its very annoying.
sansa clip and zune sound great.  sony's...not my style (despite all the hf praise i've read before purchasing)

just my opinion, but i can spot an ipod sound in a blind test, its def noticable to me.  it sounds metallic, and the high's on the ipods really bother me...okay at medium level but if i turn up to loud volume to pump the music.... its unbearable.

btw i have 3rd gen touch, 80g classic, i use to have 3g nano, 5th gen video, 4th gen, 1st gen nano, 1st gen shuffle......  lol the shuffle was the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back