if you had to choose: Shure SE215? Yamaha EPH-100SL? or VSonic GR07be?
Oct 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Minarets

500+ Head-Fier
i know its all personal preference, but i am going to order one first to try out.  i like bass (not a bass head, juts like the punch to my music) and i love smooth treble.  i loved my Sony MDR V6 and my AKG K81DJ's for use with an ipod classic which is still how i will be listening.  i bought some Tiesto 167 that i really like but they feel cheap.  most of my listening is on the run, either on a plane, or car for work, but never at home, so no need for open cans.  i was leaning toward the M100's but thought for portability an IEM would be easier and more convenient. i had shure e2c's way back in the day but those foam tips and sound never really worked for me.  

after seeing the Yamaha's on sale on amazon i read up on those, which lead me to the GR07 which lead me to the SE215....i am just going round and round now.  

i listen to Coldplay, DMB, Mumford, Avett Brothers, and some modern rock.  i love clarity, but for the bass to be there.  i hate underwhelming bass but hate overwhelming bass.  

which should i start with?  what say you head-fi?

thanks.

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 25
If you need to commute with the phones, it's between the SE215 and Yammies with the Shures being slightly better at keeping out noise. If you keep surfing Head Fi for the latest audiophile sounding phones, get the GR07s. If you don't care for great isolation or balance and just want a phone that is as fun as a dozen puppies, get the Yammies.

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 25
thanks.  wont be commuting.  most listening would be on a plane or in hotel, but not daily.  i like bass, but dont like it to take over the mids...as i like detail too.  hmm

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 25
How big are your ears? I have small ears the Yamaha EPH-100 hurt me quite a bit. However this doesn't have to apply to you.

You might also want to consider the Fischer Audio DBA-02 Mk. II.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 25
I vote for the GR07BE (or even the MKII), which I used for some month before finding a pair of used Westone 4R. I can't use the EPH-100 I own because of the fit, I think I have small canal ears because, even with the smallest flanges, they hurt.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 25
I can only speak to the Shure SE 215's, as I own these and use them during my commute every day. They sound great to me, excellent bass and clear mids. Fitting them in your ears properly can take a little adjustment, but I am very happy with them, great sound isolation.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 25
As much as I think the GR07BE are the ones I want, by most descriptions, I think I'm going to go the route of the SE215. The isolation and ease of going to guitar center and buying them seemd the way to go. I really don't want to wait 3 weeks or so for the GR07BE. Maybe if I get the SE215 and don't enjoy them, ill order a different pair.

Thanks guys. The Yamaha seems like a tween-er. I like their look, but don't really want anything that sticks out like that. Also, I prefer over the ear I think.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 25
also, since I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the SE215 I think I will buy the UE900 blue cord. I like the look and color but more importantly its shorter. I do not like the 68" SE215 cord...well I don't know yet, but that is just too long. How long exactly is the UE900 cord?

Oct 19, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 25
Crap. Or should I go R50's? Danggit, just read a thread there too and now I'm wondering if those are right for me? I just don't want something bass light like the HF5

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 25
IF I were you I would by the Gr07 BE. Its very enjoyable and itll last you a good while. Plus its a bit more expensive, so youll take care of it a bit more -- that will likely extend its lifetime. The others are good but if you want something that will last you and sounds good, then go for the 07 be.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 25
IF I were you I would by the Gr07 BE. Its very enjoyable and itll last you a good while. Plus its a bit more expensive, so youll take care of it a bit more -- that will likely extend its lifetime. The others are good but if you want something that will last you and sounds good, then go for the 07 be.

Well, that is the one I kind of want, but I really don't have the patience to wait for 3 or 4 weeks for them to get to me.
So I'm thinking SE215 clear (from guitar center(don't have patience to order black)) and then order cable for UE900. I need a shorter cable than a 60"+ plus I like that blue cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back