If you had one chance to recommend a gateway can into audiophilia to someone, what would be your choice?
Nov 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

goldenSHK

500+ Head-Fier
So, I usually take my Ultrasone Pro 900 everywhere with me and some of my friends have been really impressed with the sound. They have been pretty open about upgrading from their apple earbuds/$10 headphones, but most of them aren't ready or care enough yet to purchase $150+ cans. I wanted to ask head fi what everyone's "beginner go to recommendation" is for headphones to someone who might end up being an audiophile if they are blown away at what they purchased for the price. Basically, I'm asking that if you had one shot at making someone "wow" themselves at how much refined audio quality they could get with a maximum of $150ish, what would you have them purchase? Note that the cheaper, the higher chance of them actually buying it so if most of the recommendations are M50s and $100+ it might not be as effective as $60-$80 cans. 

What I recommend to people currently (note that I don't consider sound signature too much at these entry level products):
Grado SR60i (if they are not looking for a portable can)
JVC HA S500 (if they are looking to exchange their earpods for a portable/beater/take everywhere can)
Creative Aurvana Live (if they are looking to take it out only occasionally/to work) 

In my experience, when non-audiophiles perceive massive soundstage and imaging increases between their earbuds and my cans, that is when they are most impressed. Thanks in advance. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 3
It seems to me that you understand the problem well.

I really liked the build on M50s, but I returned it because the upper treble sounded tiny.

For guitar-based rock, I agree about SR60i. Alternatively, Koss KSC75 with or without headband mod is very good.

For more bass-dominated genres, many would prefer the V-Moda sound if it can be had at that price.

Consider also some of the cheaper Sonys (MDR-V6, MDR-7506).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back