If you had $5000 to spend on a DAC what would you buy?
Feb 28, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #136 of 158
Can't buy a better DAC without knowing with which headphones first.

But of course this is Head-Fi so logic need not apply.
Using, LCD4, Verite Closed, Utopia, Stellia mainly. My Dave is currently mostly used for my Nautilus speakers but I have moved it more times then I like, since I seem to be listening to my headphones mostly in my bedroom or home office. Currently powering the headphones with a Pendant amp, since I recently got addicted to tube rolling.

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #138 of 158
Will also use it with bookcase speakers I recently bought for my bedroom, Wilson Tune Tot.
1. My post was more in cheek as it relates to a thread from 2009 that was necro'd in 2013 and again in 2021. :joy:

2. I didn't quote reply you.

3. Considering you don't want to move your DAVE again, it's likely you'd appreciate the TT2.

4. But really, I'd tell you go buy the full SR1a Jotunheim R package.

It's called cheating.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #141 of 158
I have dCS Debussy and don't have a slightest desire to change it, sounds really great with any MAC (I have MacMini with external custom linear PSU) computer via USB, It's probably "end game" DAC for me... I bought it used for about 7500$, but it was some years ago, I think now it can be found on sale for about 5000$ (used of course)...

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #142 of 158
I considered a Debussy (read really good things about it and I have huge respect for dCS as a company) but ultimately went with a “NOS” MSB Analog DAC with Power Base. I also added the Renderer V2 module for a Roon endpoint. Paid more than the $5k budget listed here but I’m very happy with it.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #143 of 158
I considered a Debussy (read really good things about it and I have huge respect for dCS as a company) but ultimately went with a “NOS” MSB Analog DAC with Power Base. I also added the Renderer V2 module for a Roon endpoint. Paid more than the $5k budget listed here but I’m very happy with it.
:thumbsup:

Also, forgot to mention, the power question is very important for Debussy, I used Power Plant P5 for all my audio devices for some years, but about 2 years ago had a chance to try (and buy if I like it) ISOL-8 Power Station Twin Channel, and with it Debussy got on another level, especially bass, it just changed compleatly, it's just have another structure, far more realistic for my ears... but retail price for ISOL-8 Power Station Twin Channel "bites" (especially since it's basically only for digital part of the rig, since it only have two channels of 100W each...), I got lucky that I bought it from a friend for about 3000$...

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #144 of 158
That sucks. I have a Topping D90 here to compare with my Metrum Pavane but my only headphone is the HD600 at the moment which isn't able to show the difference between both. Don't have an amp for my SR007 at the moment.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #145 of 158
My 5k dac Wells Audio Cipher level 1. Plays amazing on my HeadTrip 2. 1266 TC sound incredible with that setup very analog with amazing holographic presentation. My other setup WA33 Elite with Holo Audio May KTE. Just waiting on the DAC for the woo setup.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #146 of 158
My 5k dac Wells Audio Cipher level 1. Plays amazing on my HeadTrip 2. 1266 TC sound incredible with that setup very analog with amazing holographic presentation. My other setup WA33 Elite with Holo Audio May KTE. Just waiting on the DAC for the woo setup.
I really want to find a Holo Audio dealer to hear it, wonder how it compares to my Dave.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #147 of 158
I'm extremely interested in the comparison between holo may and the wells Cipher

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #150 of 158
Very nice choice. Especially with the Power Base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back