If you had $400 to spend...
Dec 24, 2008 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

UncleDavid218

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking for some headphones. To give you some background about how much I used to appreciate audio, just look at my current setup:

DSC00533.jpg

Now that I've started getting into classical (and techno, but to a lesser extent), I'm rapidly discovering that my audio setup is lacking and I want improvement. I also do game some, if that makes any difference.

I'm in college, but I'm willing to spend a small chunk of change on something that will keep me happy for at least a little while (I know how most things like this start and where they end up). I'm sure I'll get bitten by the bug and upgrade soon, but where does one start, anyway?

I have a few issues sans headphones that I may need to address. I currently play audio on my main desktop (Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, 4GB Corsair DHX, GTX 260, etc.) but use integrated audio. If I went with something like, say, the Audio Technica a900 would I want to look at a new sound card? All things point to me NOT needing an amp... is this true? My budget is not concrete... I can spend more or less... but I figure this should at least get my foot in the door when it comes to my audio setup. When I do things I tend to do things all out, so let me know if $400 is simply not a big enough budget to accomplish what I'm looking to do.

Thanks for the help and if you have any questions you need answered please ask.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dima1109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music do you listen to?

As I said in the OP, classical and some techno.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 20
integrated audio can be good or bad (more often bad) depending on the DAC they use. what particular motherboard do you have and what is the integrated audio chip?

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
integrated audio can be good or bad (more often bad) depending on the DAC they use. what particular motherboard do you have and what is the integrated audio chip?

It's a DFI P35 T2R UT with an integrated Realtek ALC885 chipset.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 20
Hm. I can only speak from what I've read here on the message boards, as I listen to metal myself. I think people often recommend either Sennheiser HD 650 or AKG K701/702 for classical music. The HD 650 has very warm sound with some bass presence, while the AKG has very nice highs but somewhat lacking bass. Both need amplification though, especially the AKG.

As for your sound card, integrated audio is usually very bad. I would advise looking at either a dedicated card (E-MU 0404 USB is a good choice) or a DAC/DAC+amp.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dima1109 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm. I can only speak from what I've read here on the message boards, as I listen to metal myself. I think people often recommend either Sennheiser HD 650 or AKG K701/702 for classical music. The HD 650 has very warm sound with some bass presence, while the AKG has very nice highs but somewhat lacking bass. Both need amplification though, especially the AKG.

As for your sound card, integrated audio is usually very bad. I would advise looking at either a dedicated card (E-MU 0404 USB is a good choice) or a DAC/DAC+amp.

The AKG K701s look quite appealing. What you would recommend for a DAC or DAC+Amp?

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 20
you should be focused on getting huge speakers and find out locations of cheapest kegs plus get on the good side of your neighbors and RA.

m-audio audiophile 2496 sound card
used corda ha-1
used senn hd580

that should give you a pretty decent startup system.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 20
Disregard the fact that I'm selling a pair, but I do recommend the A900 as a good starting point. The soundstage will be pleasant for classical techno.
For me at least, they helped me to appreciate a good set of headphones, and really immerse myself in the music. They won't need amplification, and I've found them to be source forgiving. Get used to something like this first, then you can focus on an upgraded source, amp, headphones (speakers) etc.
At least that's how I did it.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should be focused on getting huge speakers and find out locations of cheapest kegs plus get on the good side of your neighbors and RA.

Ha! Sage advice!!!!

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 20
I'm going to lay it on you all the way, here, UncleDavid, because you seem to be a man who cares about getting things right.

Looking at your current setup, nothing strikes me as being audio-related, aside from the promedias. Perhaps that was your point?

If you decide to pursue a large, open headphone like the HD650 or the K701, you will definitely need an amp. These headphones are extremely demanding of current, and plugging them into a soundcard is choking them nearly to death.

Realistically, a pro-level setup with a computer as source will include a pair of good headphones like the ones mentioned here, a dedicated headphone amplifier that draws current from the wall, and some method of isolating this system from the noise inherent in the computer. This is usually achieved by use of USB DAC, or by using the Toslink (fibre optic) output from your mobo. That's the course I'd recommend.

So you've got computer --> optical DAC --> Amplifier --> Headphones. It can be done for $400, no problem, but it can be done better with more (of course.) Any and all of these pieces can be upgraded later if you don't want to put the whole outlay up front, or if you enjoy listening for the differences between pieces of gear.

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 20
realtek integrated sound cards are good for normal computer applications, but not as well suited for audiophile activities. it does its job well in terms of outputting sound, but you lose much of the detail that a music file may inherently possess. I recommend you look into getting a USB DAC to bypass this and connect an amp after that.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 20
I would visit the For Sale forums here and spend about $200 on a portable amp with a built-in DAC and USB connection, and then spend about $200 on a new pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones.

That would be better than using your onboard sound and you can add an iPod or other source of your choice later for portable sound as well.

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 20
One other thing that nobody's mentioned so far, and you can do this before spending any cash as well, at least for your computer sound:

Whether you use foobar or Winamp (or any other player that supports this kind of output), be sure you're using ASIO (ASIO4ALL is a great way to get ASIO with an integrated sound card, like I do on my laptop) or Kernel Streaming output (these plugins are often buggy with integrated cards). If you're not, no matter how much you spend on headphones and AMP/DAC, etc. you'll still be hampering the sound by running through the default paths these programs usually take (DirectSound, etc.).

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 20
I would get the headstage lyrix dac/amp and the HD650. I originally bought the Lyrix along with the HD650 because i wanted to see how differently the HD650 sounded from say an ipod or the laptop hp out than from a "better" amp/dac. I sold the HD650 (and have regret it like I cant describe!!) and kept the Lyrix because I was really impressed.

I recently bought a cowon D2 because my ZVM died and the lyrix stil amazes me: The sound Im getting from cowon d2>Lyrix amp>HD555 is great. It s making the HD555 sound like they never did before. This confirms the Lyrix AMP is much better than the DAC, but the sound quality you will get from the HD650 with the Lyrix DAC/amp is far from ordinary IMHO. If you like the sound of the HD650 then you are golden and be prepare to spend some serious money, because they are considered among the most scalable cans around (maybe the most).

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back