If you had $400 to spend...
Dec 24, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #16 of 20
Remember that HD650's/K701's NEED a amp. They won't be the same cans without one, I also recommend a better source. Perhaps you should first get something like a new source, such as EMU-0404 or ESI Juli@ and some decent headphones that are not so dependant on amplification, such as some audio technicas or grados. This should give you the most for the money.

Upgrading to a HD-650 system can be fairly expensive (i've personally done this, cost me about 800€ total, with cables and all). But of course it is also very rewarding. Perhaps a DAC, a amp and some Beyerdynamics DT-770's? 400$ honestly isnt that much, and I strongly recommend getting a better source and amp, this gives you a strong standpoint for future upgrades.

Sorry about your wallet and merry christmas!

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to lay it on you all the way, here, UncleDavid, because you seem to be a man who cares about getting things right.

Looking at your current setup, nothing strikes me as being audio-related, aside from the promedias. Perhaps that was your point?

If you decide to pursue a large, open headphone like the HD650 or the K701, you will definitely need an amp. These headphones are extremely demanding of current, and plugging them into a soundcard is choking them nearly to death.

Realistically, a pro-level setup with a computer as source will include a pair of good headphones like the ones mentioned here, a dedicated headphone amplifier that draws current from the wall, and some method of isolating this system from the noise inherent in the computer. This is usually achieved by use of USB DAC, or by using the Toslink (fibre optic) output from your mobo. That's the course I'd recommend.

So you've got computer --> optical DAC --> Amplifier --> Headphones. It can be done for $400, no problem, but it can be done better with more (of course.) Any and all of these pieces can be upgraded later if you don't want to put the whole outlay up front, or if you enjoy listening for the differences between pieces of gear.

That's exactly the point I was making. I want my setup to be more audio centric than it already is.

Let's say I go with the K701s. What are you recommendations for an optical DAC and amplifier? I've been reading a lot of mixed information about them.

If I go with the a900's do I really need an amp or DAC?

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys thinks about the ZERO 24/192 DAC paired with the Denon AH-D2000?

That'd work. Use your MacBook as the source, with an optical cable, as the headphone port on it doubles as one. Then you wont have to deal with all the Windows audio BS.

If you can hold out for a month and maybe another $100 or so, there'll be the Audio-gd Compass for $250 shipped, which we hope to be much better than the Zero.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That'd work. Use your MacBook as the source, with an optical cable, as the headphone port on it doubles as one. Then you wont have to deal with all the Windows audio BS.

If you can hold out for a month and maybe another $100 or so, there'll be the Audio-gd Compass for $250 shipped, which we hope to be much better than the Zero.

Unless anyone says differently, I think I'll go with the Denon AH-D2000s and the Audio-GD Compass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back