If you could only own ONE...
Sep 19, 2005 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, yes, I know how to use the search. And yes, I've read oodles of posts about the differences between the RS-1 and the HD650. And yes, I know that it's a subjective opinion as to which is better. However, if I'm considering spending this kind of cash, then I think I deserve my own polled thread
smily_headphones1.gif
...so there!

I've heard the HD650's before and I enjoyed their sound, but the problem is that I've never heard any Grados. The type of music I listen to is kinda all over the place...lounge, ambient, rock, celtic, country. However, I do feel that I enjoy more "punch" than most people...now I don't really mean "more bass" by that...I just mean that I like the feel a hefty beat driving my music along. I like the feeling of the music in my bones.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 19, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 39
Hi Stangs55,

I would be happy to live with a pair of RS-1 (being a Grado closet fanboy), but looking at the genres you listed, probably HD-650 would be more up your alley...

Best of luck,
Overlunge

Sep 19, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 39
Other: Sennheiser Orpheus. Never even heard it, but my gut says I'd like it.

b/w RS1 + HD650 . . . tough call. I'd go for the latter cause I really like a large (if unnatural) soundstage. But if I had a killer setup, I can sense the grados being superuber awesome. Also, the rs1 used to hurt my eardrums, so I'm not sure if my boys are able to handle them again.

Sep 19, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 39
Is price no object here? If so I'd say the HE-90...

Sep 19, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Is price no object here? If so I'd say the HE-90...

lol...um...no. Price happens to be an object here b/c I'm really trying to decide
smily_headphones1.gif
. Unless you want to mortgage your house and send me the check....the HE-90's aren't going to be considered. :p

Sep 19, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 39
I understand they are different sound but... Isn't the RS-1 like 2x or more the price of the HD650? Would be fairer to have HD650 + Amp, or HD650 recabled or something (from what I've read the HD650 benefits significantly from those lil things).

Sep 19, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 39
I would choose the UE-10s, but losing a $900 expense on your way to somewhere is scary to me. So I give my vote to the HD-650, because it's fairly affordable, and the cable upgrades/woodies and other mods would keep me satisfied for a while.

Sep 19, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I would pick the one that sounded best to me, and care less what anyone else thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Super. Then you mail me your HD650's so I can try them out for a bit...someone else mail me their RS-1's and then I'll make a decision.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunatly, I have no way of listening/comparing the 2 without going to a Head-Fi meet, and nothing like there ever comes to lil' ol' Houston..../whimper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back