If you could only have one pair of 'summit-fi' headphones (flagships only!)...
Sep 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bl42ed0

Head-Fier
I have the he-500 and lcd2 now powered with Mjolnir/Gungnir. My next step would be to get a flagship pair. However, I don't plan on having multiple flagships as that would be, in my opinion, excessive for me. My question is which flagship is the best all-around pair that can pretty much make most music sound good and it doesn't necessarily need a high-end speaker amp to make the most out of it?

Ready?

Go! 
gs1000.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 17

they are not considered summit-fi in the head-fi summit-fi section. also they aren't even by OP's requirement (flagship only). of course that doesn't mean they are not good.

huh?  of course the LCD-2 is considered summit-fi

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 17
i think they're summit fi in terms of sound quality, but the thread themselves where probably moved because most people posting in there where using magni/modi, schiit stacks, o2/odac, etc. budget stuff and the threads just kinda lost its summit-fi feel. its still the same way. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 17
Symphones Magnums....which aren't made any more except by Turbulent Labs.

I have the top Stax, HD-800s, LCD-3s and those all plugged in here and the only pair that sound good always with the music I like, even after listening with other headphones, are those. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 17
  Symphones Magnums....which aren't made any more except by Turbulent Labs.

I have the top Stax, HD-800s, LCD-3s and those all plugged in here and the only pair that sound good always with the music I like, even after listening with other headphones, are those. 

So, in your opinion, only the SR-009s, HD-800s, and the LCD3s would work with most everything? That said, would all 3 require me to get a new amp as well?

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 17
HD800 works for everything for me. I tried the multiple headphone thing, but I ended up never listening to anything but HD800.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 17
IMO, all the flagship headphones can make all/most music sound really good, perhaps with the exception of classical orchestra music with LCD-3 (based on what I read) and of course, some will sound better on certain genre than the others. It is more of your personal preference as well as matching your upstream gears to decide which flagship to go for. A word of caution when getting any flagship headphone is that it really requires careful matching with the upstream gears as they are just so much more revealing of any flaws and mismatching. If you are not ready to go through the trouble, then you may be better off with keeping what you have.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 17
IMO, all the flagship headphones can make all/most music sound really good, perhaps with the exception of classical orchestra music with LCD-3 (based on what I read) and of course, some will sound better on certain genre than the others. It is more of your personal preference as well as matching your upstream gears to decide which flagship to go for. A word of caution when getting any flagship headphone is that it really requires careful matching with the upstream gears as they are just so much more revealing of any flaws and mismatching. If you are not ready to go through the trouble, then you may be better off with keeping what you have.

So if my musical preference is for electronic music and rock, what would be the proper flagship for me?

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 17

So if my musical preference is for electronic music and rock, what would be the proper flagship for me?

Not the genre I listen to, but based on what I read, you probably can't go wrong with either LCD-3 or TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back