If you bought an iPhone today, how's the sound quality?
Jul 1, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by milamber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you use a LOD with it? it looks like it has a iPod dock connector?

Nope, at least not without modification. My iPhone is "dead" to my Turbodock. iPod works fine, so must be a different pin-out.

C'mon Apple! Now the docking stations won't work with iPhone, another way to get some more dollars from the consumer.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #32 of 53
SQ is hard to judge, but the little white headphones sound pretty good if you put your hands over your ears - it's weird, but having those five little holes at the top of them just kills the sound. Put my hands over my ears and make a seal and they sound pretty darn good!
Weirdness!
I guess they put the holes there so traffic sounds could get through better, as people will no doubt use these in the car as "hands-free" sets. Kills the sound.

EQ is the same selections as my 5.5G

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #33 of 53
Ok here is something i find screwy. I tried my LOD and it didn't work, no suprise since everyone else is saying the same thing. I then connected the line out on the iPhone dock to my rig and it WORKED! So i don't understand why an LOD wouldn't work but the damn iPhone dock line out does
confused.gif
mad.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, at least not without modification. My iPhone is "dead" to my Turbodock. iPod works fine, so must be a different pin-out.

C'mon Apple! Now the docking stations won't work with iPhone, another way to get some more dollars from the consumer.

I'm probably going to come off as an Apple Fanboy/apologist but i wonder if part of the issue is that maybe some of the add-ons dont strictly follow apples guidelines.

In other words, it works fine with my griffin car adapter and my im 7. It doesn't work with a cheapo dock/boom box. One difference I can see is that the things that work explicitly have the apple "made for ipod" logo on them.

Those that don't, don't work

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by cc2096 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok here is something i find screwy. I tried my LOD and it didn't work, no suprise since everyone else is saying the same thing. I then connected the line out on the iPhone dock to my rig and it WORKED! So i don't understand why an LOD wouldn't work but the damn iPhone dock line out does
confused.gif
mad.gif

I just tried my Turbodock with the iPhone dock, and no joy, but the "line out" (1/8" mini-plug) works, so I conclude the pin-out to the multi-connector at the bottom is different between iPod and iPhone. The dock pulls the correct three pins for stereo out and feeds them to the line-out jack.

Now that I've listened, I'd have to say that, through the Stax 2020 setup, connected by the iPod iLink cable, the iPhone's iPod at least equals my 5.5G video iPod. It may be a hair better, hard to say without more testing, but it's very, very good.
lambda.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In other words, it works fine with my griffin car adapter and my im 7.

That's good news. So it works with some LODs.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #40 of 53
I picked up a Belkin headphone adapter today at the Apple Store... ripoff priced at ten bucks.

See ya
Steve

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #41 of 53
Now the stores I called said they didn't have it. I'll have to go check it out tomorrow after work.

Jul 2, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #42 of 53
Ok it is possible that the LOD will work but there is a catch. When I got into work this morning I popped my iPhone into my IM1 speaker dock and started to play some music. When I first popped it in I got the battery indicator which i thought was a good sign. I unlocked it went into iPod and fired up some tunes. Well low and behold the damn music was coming from the iPhone not the speakers. I was pissed. I popped out the iPhone and put it back in to verify i did see the battery indicator. This time though i let it sit there for a few extra seconds and I was greated with a message that said "This accessory was not made to work with the iPhone. Would you like to turn on Airplane mode to reduce audio interference? I hit yes turned on airplane mode (which is essentially turning OFF the cell radio) and went back into iPod to play music. IT WORKED! The music is now playing though the line out on my IM1 dock!!!!

I haven't tried this with my LOD yet but I will shortly. If anyone else wants to give it a go all you have to do is go into settings and slide the airplane mode button to on and see if the LOD works.

Of course doing this you will not be able to make or receive calls from your iPhone.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #43 of 53
From the thread above, that will be that very setback of the iphone even though some said it sounds nicer than a 5.5Gen.

It will defeat the purpose of it being a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back