If U Could Erase One Band's Entire Discography From Memory...
Apr 2, 2006 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
...for the sole purpose to get into them all over again, which band would it be and why?

Recently, ive been recommending Pink Floyd albums to friends of mine who just never got into them. Every time I do, I think of how great it would be to hear "Wish You Were Here" and "DSOTM" for the first time...again.

So for me, def. Pink Floyd.

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 57
Its most assuredly Led Zeppelin.

So many of their tunes have become so ingrained in our social consciousness that theyve reached a point of stagnation in my mind that is almost unbelievable.

I couldnt imagine what my mind would do if i could hear "Stairway to Heaven," "Black Dog," or "Kashmir" for the first time, with no stigma attached to them.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's, these were so ubiquitous that I knew the titles by heart before ever hearing the tunes. I think it would be fantastic to start with a "tabula rasa" on these great albums.

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 57
Second Led Zeppelin. I mean its amazing that they are one of my favourite bands and they haven't got any listen time from me in the last year or so.

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757

So many of their tunes have become so ingrained in our social consciousness that theyve reached a point of stagnation in my mind that is almost unbelievable.

I couldnt imagine what my mind would do if i could hear "Stairway to Heaven," "Black Dog," or "Kashmir" for the first time, with no stigma attached to them.

Growing up in the 80's and 90's, these were so ubiquitous that I knew the titles by heart before ever hearing the tunes. I think it would be fantastic to start with a "tabula rasa" on these great albums.

I might have to agree with that, growing up in the 90's.
tongue.gif

Then again, stuff like major system upgrades really helps this happen, if you can't hear the whole thing for the first time you can at least hear it better for the first time!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Queen

I'd love to hear Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time again... *sigh*

Though I just bougth the A Night at the Opera 30th anniversary CD +DVD, and actually having it in good quality is great! (I had it in 128k aac before
tongue.gif
)

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 57
I would have to agree with Pink Floyd.

It's weird though, some great music that you end up liking in the future doesnt necessarily sound good to you when you hear it for the first time. I think that was the case with some Pink Floyd stuff, but for the most part I liked them from first listen!

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757

I could not agree more. I understand that they made some very good music, but I am sick of having to hear how great it is all the time; specifically because I feel like I've heard most every Zep song more times than I could ever care to in a lifetime, and I have never bought one of their albums! Seems like ever other f'in car commercial has a Zepplin tune in it, aside from how frequently parts of their songs are sampled by other artists, used on TV shows, or played ad-nasuem on the radio. I can think of no other horse of modern popular culture that has been beaten as thoroughly as Zepplin's. Perhaps if I could listen to their music without this inherent bias, I too would spend days and nights rambling on about how they produced the definition of rock music, never to be improved upon (or perhaps not), but at least I would have been able to hear the music for what it is, not for what alterior forces have made it become.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 57
Gotta get the Led out. I agree with Zep, definitely in my top 3 and definitely very played out, DAMN YOU CADILLAC! Also, for me, I listened to way too much Phish when I was in high school, and really wish I could have the feeling of hearing those songs for the first time...
Slade

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 57
I think we're going to get a lot of Zeppelin/Floyd/Beatles votes, so to mix things up a bit...

Last 15 years: Radiohead
Last 10 years: Beck
Last 5 years: Animal Collective

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 57
Probably Behold... the Arctopus. Their "discopgraphy" is quite limited, but they were easily one of my most flabbergasting discoveries ever.. among the few that literally left my jaw on the ground.

Maybe Mr. Bungle, too. Or Pain of Salvation.

edit: Bumblefoot might work too, so I could go on thinking for a little while longer that there are other guitarists on this planet who matter
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 57
Beatles/Lennon. I can't listen to their stuff anymore with enjoyment, period. Part of it might be the increasing sophistication of music though... the idea of sitting down and grooving to "Love me Do" just don't sit right
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 57
I for one love my led zeppelin collection.
icon10.gif

but I could do without floyd. I dont understand people like him,
confused.gif
maybe its just not my thing.

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 57
Jethro Tull - Never liked it from the first time I heard it. Had lots of music that grew on me over time, but Tull just got more and more irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back