If U Could Erase One Band's Entire Discography From Memory...
Apr 2, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Jethro Tull - Never liked it from the first time I heard it. Had lots of music that grew on me over time, but Tull just got more and more irritating.

hmmm-think you misunderstood the original post.
Music that you could erase from memory only to have the chance to listen to all over again because you loved it so much.

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
...for the sole purpose to get into them all over again, which band would it be and why?

Recently, ive been recommending Pink Floyd albums to friends of mine who just never got into them. Every time I do, I think of how great it would be to hear "Wish You Were Here" and "DSOTM" for the first time...again.

So for me, def. Pink Floyd.

It would definately be floyd for me too... I've been TRYING so hard to get back into them, but after 6+ years of listening to them on and off, I just can't do it. *sigh*

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #18 of 57
there is more going on than just the first time you hear a song. i grew up listening to "who's next" and "magical mystery tour" over and over, every day. i never got sick of them and today, when i hear those albums they fill me with warm memories of childhood. i remember listening to "dark side of the moon" for the first time on a good stereo, in a dark dorm room full of friends, stoned to the gord and saying "aaaaahhhhh!" then the clocks chimed at full volume. that experience is part of a time and place that i could never get back, and i would not trade it anything, even though "dsmotm" is a bit played out at this point.

the other danger is, so you erase the entire beatles catalog from your memory. time comes to listen to "sgt. pepper" for the "first" time again, and you ask yourself "i've never listened to the beatles before, why should i start now?"

there are songs that are somewhat ruined for me which have been played to death, but that is a natural part of how musical taste is developed.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 57
I wouldn't mind hearing Depeche Mode's "enjoy the Silence" or "Never Let me down again" for the first time again...

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
It would definately be floyd for me too... I've been TRYING so hard to get back into them, but after 6+ years of listening to them on and off, I just can't do it. *sigh*

In all seriousness, I think "Definitely" might be the most commonly misspelled word in the English language. Its a rarity that I see it spelled right.

Oh yeah, and to add to my Led Zeppelin post, I would sure love to hear the early Metallica stuff again for the first time. Being an angst-filled middle schooler, "Master of Puppets" did something special for me. I wonder (but doubt) if it would have the same impact today.

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
In all seriousness, I think "Definitely" might be the most commonly misspelled word in the English language. Its a rarity that I see it spelled right.

Oh yeah, and to add to my Led Zeppelin post, I would sure love to hear the early Metallica stuff again for the first time. Being an angst-filled middle schooler, "Master of Puppets" did something special for me. I wonder (but doubt) if it would have the same impact today.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I'm in with the Metallica too (although I prefer pre Master of Puppets; like the Black album, and Ride The Lightning).

For me, though; I'd have to say it would be AC/DC.

Using the technology we have available today; to master or remaster audio recordings; coupled-with the high end headphone, and home audio gear now available; I know I'd enjoy even more the #1 blues-based metal-band, of my youth. Now, I gotta go...gotta download The Jack, Whole Lotta Rosie, and Downpayment Blues
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 57
oh my no. MOP was 1986, the black album (self-titled) was 1991. AJFA was in between the two, 1988.

Apr 3, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757

Metallica was the most influential band for me growing up and were responsible for me getting into most of the metal/hard rock/industrial that I have listened to since.
When I heard that first guitar solo in "One" for the first time...I knew it was over with for me.
And then Hetfield..."darkness has taken my sight, taken my speech, taken my hearing..."-man that song allowed for alot of pretend singing in front of a mirror for me.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #24 of 57
Radiohead, without a doubt. I've over-listened to nearly all their albums to the point that they can actually bore me, despite loving them to bits. Oh if only...

I'd have to write copious notes to myself along the lines of "DO NOT LISTEN TO OK COMPUTER MORE THAN THREE TIMES PER DAY" etc though, lest it all happen again
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #27 of 57
I have three of them, so I must put them in chronological order in which I experianced them

King Crimson
Mr. Bungle
The Flaming Lips

Each of these expanded the way I thought about what music was entirely...one upon the other as well...now i just need Bungle in vinyl!!!

May 18, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Shpongle. I envy those who discover Shpongle for the very first time. This is an act that will open your eyes to what is possible in electronic music.

I just ordered Are You Shpongled? and have never heard anything by them before. Can't wait to get it into my cd player..

As for me, I would have to say Abbey Road. I still love listening to it, but to re-discover it for the 1st time would be great.

-J
580smile.gif

May 18, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 57
I think Iron Maiden would be my #1 choice, I adored them the first time i heard their entire discography, then I myself overplayed them and they lost their touch to me..
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back