If U Could Erase One Band's Entire Discography From Memory...
May 18, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #31 of 57
Truthfully, I rarely listen to Zep anymore because I listened to it so much as a teen. I would love to experience that progression again. The band inspired me to try and learn to play guitar (sadly, a failure--I have no musical talent).

I didn't start listening to them until IV came out, but I immediately bought I-III, and listened to them in order most of the time. It was like listening to the develpment of Rock & Roll; its evolution from Blues into its own genre.

All of this depends on your personal definition of "Rock." Zepllin is the prototype Rock band in my view.

May 18, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 57
Metallica/Maiden. Gotta love The Trooper
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hearing Ride The Lightning for the first time again would be quite great as well. Either that, or For Whom The Bell Tolls.

May 19, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #33 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustEgoTripping
I just ordered Are You Shpongled? and have never heard anything by them before. Can't wait to get it into my cd player..

Nice! I'd say that this first disk is the hardest to get into, but for me personally it also has the most depth and replay value. I never get tired of hearing the first track over, and over, and over... The second disk is far more accessible and immediately grabs you, while the third is a bit similar to the first, but has a very different vibe, constantly shifting between tension and relaxation, yet never being in one place long enough for you to become melodically and emotionally settled down. It's probably their best, but also the one I listen to the least, since it's so powerful and draining...

Yes, I am totally Shpongled
icon10.gif

May 19, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #34 of 57
Led Zeppelin is a good one. Hearing their music is just no natural now, it's a rarity to truly enjoy it.

May 20, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #37 of 57
U2 up through to Achtung Baby. Only without the bad recording quality. And before Bono started getting nominated for Nobel Prizes.

May 20, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by newbalance
I have three of them, so I must put them in chronological order in which I experianced them

King Crimson
Mr. Bungle
The Flaming Lips

Each of these expanded the way I thought about what music was entirely...one upon the other as well...now i just need Bungle in vinyl!!!

I agree with 2 of those. I'd barely heard Crimson when I saw them live in 2001. Just around that was a huge amount of reissues and new live album releases and I just ate up every note of it. I still like Crimson a lot but that discovery phase was amazing.

Bungle actually came a little before my obsession with Crimson, and mostly just with their first album but I definitely felt like I'd moved well on from normal music.

For me though Flaming Lips can be replaced by Porcupine Tree. They're my constantly evolving link to the past. Lips are always a good listen but I've never felt that they're doing anything groundbreaking.

Also add Dismemberment Plan to my list. I can't enjoy them as much anymore but back in the day "... Is Terrified" and "Emergency & I" were awesome.

For fun factor, I'd love to be able to enjoy the first few Eminem albums again (when he was still just a goofy white dude not a self proclaimed mutinizing mogul of rap or something).

May 21, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #39 of 57
I'm trying to think of other bands so that I'm not jumping on a bandwagon, but I too have to go with Zep. To hear I-IV again would be amazing. They take the cake.

Other single albums I'd love to hear for the first time just remembering what it was like hearing them for the first time:
Portishead - Dummy
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
White Stripes - De Stijl

May 21, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #40 of 57
For me it would be Bob Marley and the Wailers. This guy has been dead for over 20 years, and I can't go a day without hearing his music somewhere in Cayman. I'm a big fan and discovered Marley early on (at least from the persepctive of my life), somewhere in the mid 70's. I might have been about 14 or 15 at the time. But he's such a legendary figure among Jamaican people in particular and Caribbean people in general, that his music gets overplayed to the extent that it makes me want to scream!

So I've now gone through his entire (and quite considerable) catalog in an effort to rediscover the magic. To a certain extent this has worked. I certainly now have a greater understanding and appreciation of his early work (i.e., the stuff that never made it into the mainsteam) as well as his influence on so many artists that followed in his footsteps. Yet, nothing can erase my memories of those teenage years when I thought, "Man, that is just so peaceful. It goes nowhere, but it does it so gracefully..."

May 21, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #41 of 57
Besides Zepplin, Beatles, and all of the other "classic" bands that get shoved in your face every second these days.......

Probably Mr. Bungle, and frankly anything Mike Patton does. I think hearing Mr. Bungle for the first, and finally hearing music that actually matched my thought patterns was one of the most shocking moments in my life. Its almost hard to say though that I even need to re-experience Bungle for the first time though. Its music that simply grows with each listen and you can never really understand what could have been going through those guys heads at the time.

May 21, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #42 of 57
R.E.M.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I got into the Beatles so long ago - and had a long period of non-Beatleness in there, like from 1985 until very recently - that listening to them again is very nice and refreshing.

But I had a long, long period of loving R.E.M. (maybe 1985 to 1998 or thereabouts) and am thoroughly sick of their stuff. I own practically the entire discography and I end up skipping every time their stuff comes onto the shuffle rotation on my dap.

May 25, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
Tom Waits.

GREAT call on this question! Waits has one of the most varied and surprising discographies I can think of. When I was first getting into him I remember how great it was to bring home another of his albums that I had never heard before. Each one had surprises and changes and was really good to boot. A very satisfying discovery.

As far as the word "definitely" goes, I'm sure there will come a time when they will officially change the spelling and those who are currently spelling it correctly will in the future be spelling it incorrectly. I think this change is on the Bush agenda for 2007 (you know he spells it incorrectly...). Actually I kind of like the way language can change. If they changed the spelling I'd definately be willing to adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back