If RWA would make an Imod with the 1st Gen Nano 4GB again, would you buy one?
Mar 15, 2007 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Killercrush

Headphoneus Supremus
As you can see in this thread :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ight=imod+nano

Red Wine Audio did make an Imod Nano but this is the only one ever.

[EDIT] Personally, the main reasons why I would buy it over an Imod photo 60 GB :

1. Lighter and smaller size, see here the difference
2. No failing hard-drives as it's flash based
3. Black color (If I want to have a photo in black, it would cost me $89)
4. Cheaper
5. Better battery life (upgradeable up to 450 mAh with an aftermarket battery!)
6. Could be use at any temperature, even during winter
7. It would keep my portable rig under the important 1K limit : )

Krmathis did ask Vinnie recently to know if he could do it again and here's what Krmathis told me about his response :

* He have only made one, and its owner participated in the modding part.
* According to Vinnie it was a PAIN. Probably because there are very little extra space inside the nano.
* Vinnie are busy and have no "free" time to put into this.

[EDIT] Also, from this thread :

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R.
Hi Aluren and krmathis,

Modding the Nano is a total PITA, and VERY risky work. After I modded that Nano, I promised myself that I would never mod another one. Sorry guys..

This thread could serve as an interest check, if we have like 15-20 who wants one, maybe he could start making them again in a limited edition...
blink.gif

It's always nice to have dreams : P

[Edit]

With the new way of doing the Imod that doesn't require too much space within the unit, It should work, right ?!

Julien

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 72
i think a 4gb imod would not be worth it. too small for the targeted audience... head-fi maniacs with lossless and the such.

cool concept tho

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 72
Yep, bigger HD space is definitely needed. 4GB is not enough for lossless files... not at all!

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 72
I would certainly buy one.
But I don't expect it to ever happen. Sad, but true!
frown.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think a 4gb imod would not be worth it. too small for the targeted audience... head-fi maniacs with lossless and the such.

I live happily with Lossless files and a 4GB iPod nano. It can hold ~15 CD's, which last me a whole week of playing.

The reason the OP mention the 1G iPod nano, which max out at 4GB, are that it uses the same Wolfson WM8975 DAC as the 4G iPod. Which just happens to be the best sounding DAC in an iPod, according to Vinnie.
The 2G iPod nano, which max out at 8GB, use a different (inferior?) DAC.

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 72
Very interested - imagine feeding it into a Xin supermicro - just about the ultimate in portability especially with no bulky interconnect to lug around!

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperjacket
Very interested - imagine feeding it into a Xin supermicro - just about the ultimate in portability especially with no bulky interconnect to lug around!

That's exactly what I was thinking !

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 72
i would buy one in an instant. please vinnie... do it for us die hard fans. and hopefully mod the video ipod too!

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperjacket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFT

Dude - 1st Gen Nano would sound exactly the same as Photo cuz they got the same DAC right? If this is the case, HELL FREAKIN YEA!!

Vinnie, plz do us a favour!

Edit: that chinese place does imods. I'd much rather have Vinnie do it, but if there's only 1 option, I'm going there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back