If its a modded Magnum/Thunderpants/ custom Wood cups/ headphile.. is it infringement? is that legal?
Sep 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sanakaku

AKA Private Dancer
Hello Headfi 

You know me guys already I've been curious about this, actually Im a fan of the custom modders in our comunity, Xanadu, Lawton's Denon, Martin, Garry's Thunderpants to name a few, I'm just really curious is it possible for them to get sue? 

Like if you make custom wood cups for Grado/Denon/Sen etc and recable them even changing the cables, is that something acceptable, aren't them open for cease or decease or something like that? and pretty much some of the modification of these headphones can really get money on them.

Don't hate me I'm actually a fan of these marvelous modifications and I've been on research for quite a while the real reason I'm asking these now is because I also have plans for my own custom designs, modification for production.

I wish I could get a thing or 2 with the devs over here regarding these matter. thanks for the time.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 3
No more illegal than what modwright does to Oppo.  It voids the warranty, but that's about all a mod does.

Also, keep in mind all these guys do is increase sales.  Every pair of Thunderpants needs T50RPs, every Lawton needs Denon.  So I don't see it bothering any of these companies unless the modders start setting up dealer networks, exporting internationally in large quantities, and becoming a legitimate "competitor" or the manufacturer.  

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi sanakaku,

Good to hear you're getting into custom mods! Hopefully will run across some of your work one day. I echo Radio_head's thoughts, and present the following of my own:

There are an incredible amount of DIY projects out there, modifications to make headphones "better" than the stock option presented to us. A lot of manufacturers have account representatives on Head-Fi, and they have not voiced their displeasure at these threads. Additionally, a lot of these modded projects eventually go up for sale on the forums, and again nothing from the account reps.

Like Radio_head mentioned, every mod requires the stock product, which generates revenue for the company in question. Unless you're planning on expanding into the next big headphone corporate mogul with your work, you have nothing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back