If I mostly listen to mp3's, does it make sense to spend more than $100 on headphones?
Apr 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 151

Quote:
i've done some comparing of 320k mp3s to FLACs and barely noticed a difference. i had to really listen hard to notice. but i wasn't sure if that's just because of my headphones, i.e. if i had better headphones i would hear the clear superiority of the FLAC.

There is no clear superiority. Even FLAC supporters would not claim "clear superiority" unless they were heavily into hyperbole. Most people cannot tell the difference between high bitrate MP3 and lossless even on top equipment; a few can and tend to exaggerate the difference in my view. You are quite safe buying phones up to the level of the Senn 650. Beyond that the law of diminishing returns becomes more significant than MP3 or lossless.  

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 151
I can tell the difference between 320kps and lossless. The proliferation of hi-rez music files supports that there are differences. The better the equpiment you have, I feel, the better lossless is over mp3. I believe once you can tell the difference going back is difficult. Aside from the space limitations on most DAPs, storage is cheap. A 1TB drive is less than $100.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 151

Quote:
I can tell the difference between 320kps and lossless. The proliferation of hi-rez music files supports that there are differences. The better the equpiment you have, I feel, the better lossless is over mp3. I believe once you can tell the difference going back is difficult. Aside from the space limitations on most DAPs, storage is cheap. A 1TB drive is less than $100.

A 2TB drive is less than $100...

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 151
Quote:Originally Posted by pwnasaurus 

"A 2TB drive is less than $100..."

That just brings my point home even further. With 2TB of storage most users will have more than plenty of space to not only have the lossless files for their main rig but to also have those files in 320kps mp3 for their DAP. I use apple lossless on my 160GB iPod. It'll hold well over 3000 songs in lossless. That's more than plenty to have at one time portably.

To the OP's point, I think $100+ headphones are more than worth it. But also think of upgrading to lossless music for your main rig. Even if it takes time for you to do, I believe, it's worth it in the end. There are people that can hear an appreciate the difference.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 151

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by pwnasaurus 

"A 2TB drive is less than $100..."

That just brings my point home even further. With 2TB of storage most users will have more than plenty of space to not only have the lossless files for their main rig but to also have those files in 320kps mp3 for their DAP. I use apple lossless on my 160GB iPod. It'll hold well over 3000 songs in lossless. That's more than plenty to have at one time portably.

To the OP's point, I think $100+ headphones are more than worth it. But also think of upgrading to lossless music for your main rig. Even if it takes time for you to do, I believe, it's worth it in the end. There are people that can hear an appreciate the difference.

I REALLY wish I still had my giant CD collection to re-rip all of my library...But I literally only have 2 CDs now...Most of them were lost in an accident a few years back, and the rest were damaged buring my recent move...I guess it's time to rebuild.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #21 of 151
Quote:Originally Posted by MorbidToaster 

"I REALLY wish I still had my giant CD collection to re-rip all of my library...But I literally only have 2 CDs now...Most of them were lost in an accident a few years back, and the rest were damaged buring my recent move...I guess it's time to rebuild."

So rebuild over time. When you get new music make it lossless. I only mention these things to give you, me and everyone else the best potential for their music enjoyment. Even if you think lossless is fractionally better, why not use it? Space is abundant and cheap.

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 151
FLAC files are future proof, you will always know you are getting the best. Using my Ultrasone Pro 900 I can't tell the difference between 320 MP3 and FLAC, however I have mainly FLAC because with upgrades I might be able to (Like my LCD-2's I will have soon).

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #23 of 151
Once you get a nice quality headphone you start to notice the limitation of certain mp3 files... At the moment Im re building my library to Loosless, and Im converting all the guys in the office to get FLAC files instead of MP3 on the music HardDrive in one of the servers. :) I know some of them already noticed a change in the quality and even with not so good headphones. Prepare your wallet... that's all I can say.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #24 of 151
If it's not practical/possible for you to use lossless, then don't worry about missing anything by upgrading, just don't.
I primarily use my O2's with ~80kbs live stream audio, it doesn't get much worse than that, but surprise surprise, the O2's still sound like O2's.
So yeah, spend however much you want, because the headphones don't care one bit. They will always put their certain spin on things regardless of what they're being fed.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #25 of 151
thanks to everyone who's posted. i really appreciate the input. and now i don't feel like such a loser for listening to mp3's!

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #26 of 151
95% of what I listen to are MP3s.  There's almost no difference between 320kps and lossless. Heck, I'll even listen to 160kps if I can't find anything better of a particular recording.   Changing headphones is the most cost effective way to get better sound quality, besides getting better recordings, and by "getting better recordings" I don't mean lossless.  I mean things that were recorded well.  There's no point in getting lossless files if the recording is bad, which it is in most cases.  The best value in terms of price/sound quality is getting Sennheiser HD600 used for $200-$230.  It's just like the HD650, but with slightly less bass and an unnoticeable bit more of harmonic distortion.  The DT880 600 Ohm is also good, almost equal to the HD600, but costs more and has a spike in the frequency response around 8kHz which some people hate (not me).

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #27 of 151
[size=small]One, well at least me, can really tell the difference between bitrates under 190 or so and higher bit-rate music. On the other hand, the difference between flac and high resolution mp3’s are much less so. With higher end headphones, including a good dac and amp,  the sound differences begin to come out. Is it worth the thousands of dollars some of us spend on audio gear? Depends on your budget and how happy you are with your current arrangement.[/size]
[size=small]I should note, however, that there are a lot of current affordable mid-fi headphones and dac/amp combos that will not empty your wallet. Buying discounted sale items, used items, or B-stock will often see nice savings. One can get a $400-$500 pair of headphones for $200-$250. And a lot of this equipment was considered top shelf Hi-fi just a few years ago.  [/size]
[size=small]If you want to upgrade, subscribe to the deals forums and the for sale forums on Head-fi. Check the headphone descriptions on the first page of this site as well to get a better idea of what is out there.[/size]
[size=small] Hope this helps. [/size]

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #28 of 151
Another thing I'd like to say here is that depending on your music preferences, you'll see the difference more. It's much more apparent with genres like Jazz, or Rock (IMO) than Electronic genres. Luckily, I'm mostly into Electronic, so even some of the lower bitrate songs sound just as good. Sure there's a difference, but the Electronic genres takes a much smaller hit.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #29 of 151

Quote:
Another thing I'd like to say here is that depending on your music preferences, you'll see the difference more. It's much more apparent with genres like Jazz, or Rock (IMO) than Electronic genres. Luckily, I'm mostly into Electronic, so even some of the lower bitrate songs sound just as good. Sure there's a difference, but the Electronic genres takes a much smaller hit.

i find Jazz to be the least forgiving of low bitrates. The cymbals especially begin to sound horrible if the bitrate drops below 192k.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #30 of 151

Quote:Originally Posted by TheGomdoRi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MP3 isn't as garbage as people perceive them as, given the condition the original source is properly ripped and transcoded.

Exactly.

If the original source is totally garbage, then it does not matter if the file is lossless or not, it would not sound any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back