If I love the HD800s/Grados/DX1000s, should I try AKG K1000s?
Aug 14, 2009 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

West726

Headphoneus Supremus
I love the HD800s, straight out of the box. But I've never heard K1000s, and I have an opportunity to buy. Is the K1000 sound so significantly different from the HD800s, various Grados, and JVC DX1000s that I should give them a try?

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 17
Sure! By their design they are a category of their own.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 17
If you end up not liking them, I'll help you out and buy them for a dollar.
wink_face.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 17
Yes, try the K-1000 if you get the chance! It's really different from all other headphones and sounds wonderful. You won't get a better soundstage short of speakers.

Keep in mind that you'll always be able to sell the K-1000 for about what you paid for it if you're disappointed. But you'll notice that most K-1000 owners aren't willing to sell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that you'll always be able to sell the K-1000 for about what you paid for it if you're disappointed. But you'll notice that most K-1000 owners aren't willing to sell.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's my thinking too. You really are an enabler, you know.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only if you throw in the triports.

I don't know....I have to sleep on this
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #10 of 17
Yes, you should definitely give the K1000 a try.
I is quite different from other headphones, and especially the sound stage is hard to beat unless you go speakers.

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you should definitely give the K1000 a try.
I is quite different from other headphones, and especially the sound stage is hard to beat unless you go speakers.

Sorry for my negligence, but does it mean if I want larger soundstage, I should go speakers ? I found that a larger soundstage pleased me a lot more for classic music (ex. Grado GS-1000 vs. Senn HD-650).

But on the other side, there must be something of headphones that speakers are incapable to offer. What's that in your opinion ?

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 17
The HD800 and the K1000 have similar sonic signatures, but which one is better depends a lot on personal preferences and the whole components. Given you own the HD800 already, finding a right amp would be more interesting.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bordins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 and the K1000 have similar sonic signatures, but which one is better depends a lot on personal preferences and the whole components. Given you own the HD800 already, finding a right amp would be more interesting.

I have the HD800s and immensely enjoy them, and have not heard the K1000's. However from the numerous posts re the K1000's sonic signature that I've seen, a particular strength of the K1000 is that it creates a soundstage that seems to more closely approximate the loudspeaker experience compared to almost any other phone. I only mention this because despite various claims to the contrary, the soundstaging of the HD800's does not replicate what you hear from a loudspeaker system, not even a "near-field" set-up. In some recordings, a convincing "holographic" effect is certainly there but you would still know you're listening to a headphone, albeit a very good one.

For this reason, I suppose it would be a good idea to try the K1000's, if only to compare their strengths and weaknesses to the HD800's. As I'm sure you also know, the K1000's also have specific amplification requirements, and if you do decide to get one, the amp you're using for the HD800's may not be entirely suitable. There are numerous threads about K1000 amplification that you can search.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the HD800s, straight out of the box. But I've never heard K1000s, and I have an opportunity to buy. Is the K1000 sound so significantly different from the HD800s, various Grados, and JVC DX1000s that I should give them a try?

Sure. It's not really a headphone, it's this weird set of speakers that mount away from your ears on spacer pads. It can't help but be different, and it is. Less a question of tonal balance than of the unique space, and real-air crossfeed that they provide. But having heard them for the first time at the recent Bay area meet, I can assure you that there is nothing about them to offend this DX1000 and HD800 fan, and much to be pleased about. If "significantly different" is your main consideration, then be assured that they are significantly different from pretty much anything else, and in a good way. Why not add them to your stable if you have an opportunity, and are considering it anyway.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaobao0707 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for my negligence, but does it mean if I want larger soundstage, I should go speakers ? I found that a larger soundstage pleased me a lot more for classic music (ex. Grado GS-1000 vs. Senn HD-650).

But on the other side, there must be something of headphones that speakers are incapable to offer. What's that in your opinion ?

Unfortunately, you can never get from any headphone the stage you would get from any decent speakers. The advantage of the headphones is that their presentation does not depend on the environment, aka listening room, which saves a lot of time, cost and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back