If anyone is using Vista give WASAPI in Foobar a go results are excellent
Jan 19, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #76 of 83
I tried WASAPI with my m-audio transit on my vista laptop, and it barely worked at all. Very choppy. Far inferior to any other method.

(just sharing that point of data.)

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #77 of 83
Problem with ASIO is you need to use the PPHS Resampler, matching it to the master rate on your sound card. With WASAPI I can use Bit-Matching and no resampling is needed. Depending on how you have things set up, that is the only reason I can see for there to be a "difference" in which case it is no longer the bit-perfect stream you want as it got changed along the way.

As far as sound is (when Asio is bit perfect with the music file) I can't hear any differences.

As far as choppiness goes, that is just a strange issue. No choppiness on my end, and completely unsure what could cause it.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #78 of 83
I did notice a crackle in the sound, once in a while when using ASIO4ALL,i'am sure my settings are right, with kernel and Wasapi the crackle was not there, and i'am using Vista Premium.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #79 of 83
Can anyone explain to me how does the Volume bar in Foobar affects my USB DAC when using WASAPI ?
Is it digital volume ? (hence, chopping down bits and loosing quality)

When I used ASIO, I remember that volume in Foobar did not have any effect on the volume, which makes sense since there is no Mixer involved and its also a digital output which you can't really lower the volume unless you are dropping bits, thus obviously making it far from being Bit-Perfect.

I am working with Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit.

Someone cares to explain ?

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #80 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone explain to me how does the Volume bar in Foobar affects my USB DAC when using WASAPI ?
Is it digital volume ? (hence, chopping down bits and loosing quality)

When I used ASIO, I remember that volume in Foobar did not have any effect on the volume, which makes sense since there is no Mixer involved and its also a digital output which you can't really lower the volume unless you are dropping bits, thus obviously making it far from being Bit-Perfect.

I am working with Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit.

Someone cares to explain ?

Leave it maxed (0db) and there will be no change to the audio at all. Same as having no volume control. Basically what you said, once you lower the volume it changes.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #81 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried WASAPI with my m-audio transit on my vista laptop, and it barely worked at all. Very choppy. Far inferior to any other method.

(just sharing that point of data.)

Might be a latency problem due to software interference/defect/setting or a hardware problem.
That's all that comes to mind right now.

What media player are you using to output?

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #82 of 83
FWIW I had choppiness problems with WASAPI/Foobar that completely went away when i lowered the buffer to <750ms (from 1500).

YMMV as I'm on win7

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #83 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might be a latency problem due to software interference/defect/setting or a hardware problem.
That's all that comes to mind right now.

What media player are you using to output?

This was with Foobar2k.

I've given up on that hardware configuration, though. The M-Audio drivers and Vista and the laptop don't get along. There was a lot of stupidity about the sample rate and word length changing whenever the laptop was suspended. A lot of stupidity with regard to the windows sound control panel and the M-Audio control panel disagreeing about what the sample rate and word length were set to.

I just got tired of putting up with it. Got tired of fiddling with control panels to get it to make sound again every single time i wanted to use it. I shouldn't have to have a shortcut to the sound control panel on the desktop just to enjoy my music.

I find it ironic that my M-Audio products work much better in linux than in windows.

I'm using a DIY usb dac based on some CS chip now. All i use that rig for is playing music on the stereo in the kitchen anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back