IEMs with gorgeous midrange
Oct 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #17 of 47
Grado gr8, UM3x, CK100, SE535, DBA-02, Custom 3, E_Q7, FX700, SA6, SA7, MTP Copper and MTP MD...

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 47
UM3X - no, specific emphasis to bass and treble
CK100 - yes
SE535/SE530 - yes
DBA-02 - no, mostly emphasized treble, lean even in the lower mids
Custom 3 - maybe, not bad actually but mids are not its key feature, well balanced though, outstanding bang for the buck
E-Q7 - unsure (haven't heard, but a yes from reviews I've read)
FX700 - unsure (haven't heard)
SA6 - yes
SA7 - unsure (here's to hoping)
MTPC - unsure (only heard the Gold, maybe given the Copper is more detailed, Golds actually had excellent midrange presence, muddy, but well presented)

CK100 - very pricey but excellent throughout
SE530 - excellent buy if mids are all you care about, cheap that they now have a successor
SE535 - worth the huge price difference?  Maybe not if mids are the only goal
E-Q7 - haven't heard but mids are a big focus of these and are apparently quite good from reviews I've seen, a bit pricey for a single BA driver IEM
SA6 - a completely overlooked earphone, outstanding mids, transparency, air, natural note, compact, light, and isolates well, you may be better off waiting for the SA6R though
MTPC -  maybe, can't comment personally, was surprised by how well the midrange was presented with the MTPG, well balanced, but it was a thicker, sluggish presentation, Copper's supposed to be a bit different, quicker in note
ER4S - why not another pair?  It's an excellent product, stay with it if you don't want to change anything.  If you do want a change, how do you want it to be different?

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 47
Actually, I had shure e4cs before I had the er4ps, I got the etymotic to try something different. Having had the etys for 3 1/2 years now and I'd like to try something different again. I was quite fond of the shure mids when I had the e4cs but they lacked clarity somewhat and had poor treble and bass extension, which made them sound quite closed in. They isolated quite well, just behind the er4ps but had a very narrow soundstage, enhancing the closed feeling.

I also go on travelling in two weeks and would like to have them by them. Right now, sound-earphones has the Sa6-R on pre-order for 200$, I'll send them an email to find out when they will carry it. I'm also looking closely for a pair of monster turbine coppers.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 47
The in a comparison of the SE530s to the UM3Xs, the UM3Xs have my vote as being the best rounded.  They combine rich but not in your face mids, great bass extension, and a pleasantly extended high end.  Their microphonics are lower than the SE530s.  That said, the mids on the SE530 are undeniably sweet.  There are multiple threads comparing these IEMs in detail elsewhere which sill give you hours of reading material and many considerations to ponder.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #25 of 47
I can also vouch for the Final Audio Design FI-BA-A1 having a great mid-range - lush and smooth, and overall better than the other IEM's in my collection. Isolation isn't amazing (a little below RE0 levels) but they produce a really pleasurable sound. If you are talking male vocal midrange (rather than overall midrange including upper mids for female vocals) then you can't go past the DDM's, which have an amazing and emotive authority to male vocals.

At a similar price though with discounts, the SM3 sound like another really excellent option.

I'd consider the EQ-5 just because the price should be a less than the SE530's/535's.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 47
agree with mvw2..
adds, a bit.

se530 - good for mids only, lacks treble and bass
se535 - similar mids to se530 with more bass and treble
eq7 - somewhere between se530 and se535, bass lacks punch, most consider treble rolled off. for me, i found e7 needs good amping to shine.
ck10 - more similar in mids to se535, but also more emphasized on treble.
ck100 - even more mids, if u like female vocals.

by comparison.
um3x - recessed mids, to allow more details. mids overshadows treble and micro details, just as much as mid-bass.
w3 - this one for basshead. i put it away after few seconds, similar to um3x.

i tried and compared all, spent about half day, before buying my ck10.

i only heard im716 not er4p but i would say um3x is nowhere near in mids to im716.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #27 of 47
Wow, you made up your mind with all these IEM's in about half a day?
That's not even enough for me to try different tips on.
Quote:
agree with mvw2..
adds, a bit.

se530 - good for mids only, lacks treble and bass
se535 - similar mids to se530 with more bass and treble
eq7 - somewhere between se530 and se535, bass lacks punch, most consider treble rolled off. for me, i found e7 needs good amping to shine.
ck10 - more similar in mids to se535, but also more emphasized on treble.
ck100 - even more mids, if u like female vocals.

by comparison.
um3x - recessed mids, to allow more details. mids overshadows treble and micro details, just as much as mid-bass.
w3 - this one for basshead. i put it away after few seconds, similar to um3x.

i tried and compared all, spent about half day, before buying my ck10.

i only heard im716 not er4p but i would say um3x is nowhere near in mids to im716.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #28 of 47

Quote:
Lol, sorry couldn't help but chuckle. What makes you think they are better than the ER-4Ps?

no idea, i've never tried the er-4ps as i'm sure uve never tried the sony headphones. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #29 of 47
jaben here was really nice to let me try them all. i used my source for testing.
i brought my own comply, tips and olives. i did swap both westones with olives as their stock pumps too much bass and kills the mids, but still end up not liking them.
ck10 i have been trying since a few trips before, since fitting was an issue, but not hard once u figured out.
ck100 was from a friends.
previously i owned crossroad bijou3, music valley sp1, sherwood se777, dba-02, hippo white, hippo groove, crossroad woody2.. so i kinda know what im looking for.
my main reference was my ATH-W10VTG, amped with yamamoto ha-02 (courtesy of jaben as well, since i dont own any amp back then).
i just look for something i cant kill with my headphone, which does very lovely mids. all my old iem was pwnd in first strike vs vtg.
then it narrows down to fit comfort and preference.
dba-02 i sold that day for ck10.
i was, and still am very satisfied.
even now, i have no problem going from my vtg to ck10.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #30 of 47
Three words, Miles Davis Tribute. I just got my set today and they're probably the greatest universal IEM on the freakin planet. I got them used for $265 USD. Let the rest of this thread fall on deaf ears and go order some right this second man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back