IEMS To Listen to Lossless Music For Under $100
Jun 8, 2010 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

iamloco724

100+ Head-Fier
im looking for a pair of iems under 100 dollars that are good for listening to lossless music genre i listen to are mainly metal/rock/classic rock and some rap..only my favs bands are in lossless which would be metal and rock

i do like good solid bass not booming but like a depth to the music like i feel the meelectronics m9's that i have now have that depth

any recommedations please as many as possible would be great

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 15
In general for $100.00 US you can get a quality set with one dynamic speaker, or a set of entry-level monitors with one balanced armature driver. 

Your choices go up $200.00 two drivers, or $300.00 for three.  The biggest jump in sound is from buds to, earphones in the $100.00 - $150.00 area.  There is reported to be a noticeable jump when you go to two drivers.  The move to three drivers is much subtler.  That is unless you listen to the SM3 crowd with this months imported flavor of the month.
You have a lot of choices, look at IEM’s about 25% more than you can afford to spend right now. You could have these for a long time, so don’t rush into trading up.  You can't start with price because, you can pay more, and you will find that the better stuff is available for less.  Start with what you would want for earphones as if cost was no object, then compromise down to what you can afford next month.  Life is too short to listen to cheap in-ear-headphones.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 15
^ Ooookay then...

To the OP, the UE triple.fi 10 Pro is the closest IEM I can think of (from my personal experience) that's the cheapest in handling metal (assuming you're talking about the real heavy, fast, and complicated stuff). Anything else below it and around it in price (i.e. Shure SE530, Westone 3, etc.) just suffocate and choke up on the stuff. The triple.fi 10 Pro doesn't have the strongest of bass, but it errs on the light, punchy side, and that allows it to keep up with the rest of the music.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 15
Since OP said under 100$ I'll just stick around that. RE0 have low bass quantity, good speed, excellent treble, average soundstage, average isolation. Eternas are know to have a very unique sound sig, good bass (v2 is said to have been free of a mid bass hump). I have also heard good things about ety HF5 which (from my understanding) sound like RE0 with better bass and slightly less treble (also low sibilance). There are 2 multi review threads that can really help you make up your mind.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Also I would look at the ViSang R03 and Hibbo VB, both easily under $100. No need to break the bank nowdays for decent sound and there certainly is no "sweet spot" or "huge jump" territory. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Lossless at $100? That's a tough one; I would only find RE 0/1 and the Ety 6i tolerable. Turbines, maybe, Denon C710, maybe.

At $150, the world opens: FX500, Custom 3, Atrios, HJE900. A big step up, every one. Save your nickels.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Also I would look at the ViSang R03 and Hibbo VB, both easily under $100. No need to break the bank nowdays for decent sound and there certainly is no "sweet spot" or "huge jump" territory. 

I just got a pair of the HIPPO VB phones and they are pretty incredible, and under $100!

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 15
Jun 8, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 15
V-Moda Remix, Vibe II, EX500, Turbine, C710, CX6, UE 5EB and S4.......

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 15
Hippo VB if you want to feel the bass. RE0 if you would rather not.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Lossless at $100? That's a tough one; I would only find RE 0/1 and the Ety 6i tolerable. Turbines, maybe, Denon C710, maybe.

At $150, the world opens: FX500, Custom 3, Atrios, HJE900. A big step up, every one. Save your nickels.

I believe what you mean is that with iems under $100 OP won't be able to tell the difference between lossless and HQ lossy formats, right? IMHO he can get something cheaper now and when he finds the sound signature he likes, advance to the next level.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #14 of 15
No need to overspend if you're not ready. Nowadays, good sub $100 IEMs provide very good value for money.

Among the best I've listened to extensively under $100 are the Eterna and RE0. You can find a lot of reviews on them. A number of people call the RE0 sibilant, but I completely disagree. For an IEM with that much treble extension, the treble is smooth.

The Hippo VB has great bass depth which goes low for the price, forward treble (which is ok-ish in quality because it's slightly rough), but the mids is mediocre, and the soundstage is about average. IMO, they sound a bit 2D-ish when compared to the Eterna and the RE0. But if you like bass, they are quite good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back