IEMs to complement or replace CK7
May 1, 2010 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

1audioz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've been using the CK7 since September last year; and while the sound signature has grown on me, I am looking for something with a smoother presentation. The CK7 have brilliant highs, but I find that most of the time, its presentation is razor sharp is essentially quite harsh for some songs. I'd also like a bit more bass. While the CK7's bass has quick attack and decay, I'd like deeper and more involving bass, but doesn't hit the basshead line.

Looking at the Fischer-Audio DBA-02 has caught my attention, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. There seems to be favour around H-F for the Earsonics SM3 against the Westone UM3x. That said, if I were to import a pair of the SM3s, they would be more expensive than a pair of UM3x from eBay.

I use a Cowon D2+ as my primary source (flat, no BBE+) with an iPod Classic 6G and HTC Desire as secondary sources. That said, my current setup can make me feel a little claustrophobic at times because the soundstage is quite small using CK7.

May 2, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 43
Just did a quick search on CK7, and I find that your description of CK7 is pretty close to what I have searched.

I was going to recommend CK10 if you want a smoother presentation, and perhaps overall sound quality upgrade, but CK10's bass quantity might not be enough for you. I have a pair of CK10, I find the bass quantity to be adequate.

I see you have AD700 in your sig. How do you like them?

So you are looking for IEMs with good treble energy and a more involving bass (I take this to mean more than adequate bass quantity, but not abundant). I don't have much experience in IEMs, but TF10 I own seems to fit your criteria, but the mids are kind of recess. FWIR, Westone 3 has similar sound signature too.

In case you overlooked this awesome post.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/t...-often-476315/

Couldn't really comment much since I don't own either of them (CK7 and AD700).

May 4, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 43
AD700. I like them. They're more enjoyable to listen to than my CK7s; that's for sure. Everything just sounds more airy and open, being open cans. While some say the bass is light, it's just right on the AD700.

CK10. Hmm, I should check them out. As for TF10, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay a lot of money for something that doesn't look like it'll fit - as there are no stores near me which even sell decent in-ears, let alone high-end ones. I've been eyeing the Westone 3 for quite some time - but I've read that it has a short sound tube; causing fit issues? I have small ears, so I don't know.

As for the chart, I sure had a look at it. Right now, I'm waiting for DBA-02 stock to arrive (Bugden Audio/anywhere else?) as these probably interest me the most. I'm also planning to get a PA2v2, would any IEMs have good synergy with it?

May 4, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1audioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the chart, I sure had a look at it. Right now, I'm waiting for DBA-02 stock to arrive (Bugden Audio/anywhere else?) as these probably interest me the most. I'm also planning to get a PA2v2, would any IEMs have good synergy with it?

The man behind Bugden Audio is know as ethan961 on head-fi. According to him, the DBA-02 will be back in stock this week. You should check out the top tier thread, there're so many choices there.

If you like the sound of open can on IEM, perhaps you should check out the FX-700 too. Top notch clarity on it.

May 4, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 43
I personally won't recommend TF10, because of their looks and ergonomics. But to some, they love the sound of TF10 and have no problem with fits. So it depends.

DBA-02 is an interesting phones. I would like to try them too. However there are not much comparison between DBA-02 against those of smiliar price range, or higher.

Most IEMs don't need amplification to sound good, but some do benifit from amping. So you are looking for another trouble to choose an amp for yourself
regular_smile .gif

May 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 43
A toned down CK7 with a deeper bass?

I'm inclined to think of a TF10.

May 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 43
My friend upgraded from a ck7 -> ck10 -> ck100 and he has been pretty satisfied so far. However you want a more bass, so ck10 or ck100 might not be exactly the one you want.
Perhaps you could think about Westone 3. The highs and bass is good, but highs may be too sharp (and sibilant) and the bass may be too much.
I have um3x, and I think it is a pretty good IEM in general. Bass is about right, and treble is good. Compared to CK100, um3x bass quantity is better, but slightly less sparkle in treble.

May 4, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 43
a budget would be a good place to start

@KLS: I think in a couple weeks there will be some impressions/reviews on them as people start getting them in the mail.

May 5, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a budget would be a good place to start

From the first post, I think OP's budget is around $250 (or max $300), seeing he is/was thinking of UM3X.

Or somebody evil enough to encourage OP to dry his/her wallet with some SM3?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@KLS: I think in a couple weeks there will be some impressions/reviews on them as people start getting them in the mail

Yes hopefully
regular_smile .gif

I have earned some 'extra' money on labour's day, still thinking how to spend them. Radius or Fischer.

May 5, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 43
Hey guys,

I'm a dude hailing from Melbourne. =) Ummmm..budget. Yes. ~$300 more or less AUD.

The UM3x I've found (only on eBay) are stupid expensive...ranging from $320 - $460 AUD? I'm not sure what pricing is like for the US/UK/Europe, but I'm guessing it can be had for much cheaper.

Is the UM3x's SQ more boxed in/claustrophobic than it is airy/wide?

May 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 43
hi there, coincidentally, my regular IEMs are the CK7 and i also use a AD900 at home, with an old Cowon U3.  i too find the CK7 a bit edgy and bright on certain types of music.

managed to audition a pair of TF10, but for some reason i found myself enjoying the UE700 sound a little more; the UE700 sounded a little more transparent, compared to the TF10 which gave me the feeling that the sound was all saturated in the middle in a homogenous albeit rich and warm layer.

the RE0 and the UM3X also seems like something i should read up on and audition.

why don't you take a holiday in Singapore and audition the earphones at Jaben or Stereo?  they are really good about letting you audition until you are satisfied.

May 6, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 43
I would love to take a holiday, but unfortunately my student status forbids me (for the time being) to do so. 

For some reason, I have started to gravitate towards the EarSonics SM3...despite their high price. The top-tier thread is really grabbing my attention.... 

The CK10 --> CK100 pathway is still open, except Marcus of Headphonic Australia says the CK100 are "bad" for their price. Judging from the top-tier thread, it's seems to be a love-hate relationship - and I don't think would mind at all about mids being too forward. As long as they don't overtake the RE2 in terms of forwardness, I should be okay. On another hand, the CK10 look alright.

DBA-02 seem to be back in stock, but the shipping looks insane (~90 CAD (then convert to AUD)) *I'm not going to wait 1-3 months for them.* 

That said, I'll have to look into how much shipping is for the SM3. Free international? (please!)

May 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 43
The CK10 and CK100 sound is a bit different imo. The mids are the make it or break it for the CK100 as well as what your source is. The CK10 sounds better to me but I'm sure there are both people who agree and disagree with that who have heard both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back