IEMs that make you fall in love - recommendations?
Nov 21, 2011 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Buckie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that are full of character and very musical, basically something you can fall in love with, something that makes you rediscover the sound every day in a new way, something that never ceases to amaze or please the ear. Does such a thing exist? I'm tired of boring dead headphones. The current pair of EX510LP that I purchased without listening to it first makes me want to writhe in an agony of genuine anger and hateful rage with its head-splitting screeching razorblade trebles and an absolute lack of everything else. Never the sound of the headphones was ever LESS musical that those sonys, not even the cheapest ones that come with phones and PMPs. Want something exactly the opposite and price isn't really an issue. Then again, I don't want sound that's mushy or too dark or bass-heavy. Just something that's really exciting and makes listening a joyful experience. Should also be driven directly. Any recommendations?

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 31
Fischer Audio Eterna Rev.1

I love these with all my heart! I can't spend a day without them.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 31
EX1000. Nuff' said. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 31
Nov 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 31
Triple Fi 10 x2

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 31
Thank you all so much for the recommendations!
I've had the etys before and they were indeed very good, but not too memorable. The best part is they are really transparent. About the EX1000 - I'm afraid of trying any more of Sony gear after this 510 disaster. Some folks here say the 1000s are too, very bright. And the JHs are sort of out of the question because I want to share those with friends and the hi-end ones are all custom molds. Guess that leaves me with the UEs and Grados then?
What about the Westones though? Keep hearing good things about them, are they memorable or enjoyable in any way?

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 31
I've only heard the westone 2: these are quite boring, but i think the Westone 3s should be way better.

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:
Thank you all so much for the recommendations!
I've had the etys before and they were indeed very good, but not too memorable. The best part is they are really transparent. About the EX1000 - I'm afraid of trying any more of Sony gear after this 510 disaster. Some folks here say the 1000s are too, very bright. And the JHs are sort of out of the question because I want to share those with friends and the hi-end ones are all custom molds. Guess that leaves me with the UEs and Grados then?
What about the Westones though? Keep hearing good things about them, are they memorable or enjoyable in any way?

The EX1000's are anything but overly bright. In my most humble opinion, their high end peak is extremely exaggerated, to no end. When I think very bright in-ears, I think of the CK10 first and foremost, as well as the DBA-02. The EX1000 happens to be one of the most proficient in-ears I've ever heard, to date. I'd hate for you to get the wrong impression, as they're quite neutral, and well balanced. In fact, on a technical level, there's very little standing in the EX1000's competition, if I'm to be honest. Where preference is concerned, however, I can certainly appreciate where someone may easily prefer any one of the mid/top tiers over the EX1000, but credit must be given where it's due, and the EX1000 is no less deserving than any other competitor.

That said, having personally owned the UM3X, W3, and W4, they're nothing short of quality in-ears, each in their own right. They're most certainly both memorable and enjoyable, especially the latter two in my case. Refer to the review threads linked in my signature, my friend. You'll find some excellent in-depth reviews of each of the aforementioned, which will hopefully help you narrow down your selections. All the best! 
smile.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 31
FX700 FTW. I cant say the EX1000 treble isn't exaggerated as I clearly hear it that way. It may not sound that way to you though. In my case the graph was correct on the EX1000 as they are indeed sibilant in the lower treble region.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 31
The Grado GR10, W4R, GR07, E-Q7, CK100, JVC FX 700, UE TF10 Pro are highly recommended and they all are fun to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back