IEMs that fits my criteria
Jun 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I am in search for something beyond(hopefully for the better) what I have experienced with IEMs.  I have tried RE0, TF10, and currently SE530 is my main IEM.  I am still hungry for something better because so far nothing has even come close to my HD650 interms of sound quality.  I am aware there will be differences between IEMs and Cans.  Still, I am hoping to find something portable that can come very close to it.  

Also, I am looking for very sensitive IEMs that does not need amping.  In addition, I have a Sony X as a source, and it bothers me that my SE530 hisses.  My music tastes... I like Eric Clapton and Nirvana Unplugged, anything David Matthews, Fleetwood Mac, and precisely recorded vocals(Diana Krall, Carla Bruni, Harry Belefonte).  I love music that have great precision and details.  

In short, I am looking for IEM that sounds closest to HD650 as possible, doesn't require amping, and no hissing that brings out the music that I have mentioned to full potential.  Thank you.

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
SM3 sounds like your best bet.  16 ohms so no amp needed.  Not sure about the hiss.  No customs for you?

I would consider customs if there is real significant increase in sound quality and significant isolation.  By significant, I mean noticibly greater than Ety.

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I would consider customs if there is real significant increase in sound quality and significant isolation.  By significant, I mean noticibly greater than Ety.

I can't think of much that is greater in isolation then ety, so customs may be out for you if it's that big of a deal. My JH-13's are a significant increase in sq over tf10, se530, hf2 (ones I have owned), but for isolation, ety is the top of the heap IMO, maybe due to the deep brain implant. Do you listen so low in volume in heavily noised areas that isolation needs to be 'significantly' greater then ety?

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I can't think of much that is greater in isolation then ety, so customs may be out for you if it's that big of a deal. My JH-13's are a significant increase in sq over tf10, se530, hf2 (ones I have owned), but for isolation, ety is the top of the heap IMO, maybe due to the deep brain implant. Do you listen so low in volume in heavily noised areas that isolation needs to be 'significantly' greater then ety?

No, I just don't like to raise the volume too high, for some music it get very fatiguing, too punchy and ears starts to hurt.  IMO having as much isolation as possible and keeping the volume low helps me enjoy the music in its intricate details for a long time.  At this point(I dont know how I got this way, IEMs are the culprit),I cannot stand any other sound that is not comeing out of the earphones, even faintest noise.  I would isolate as much as possible if I could.  I believe it helps me to pick up faint details that the noise can drown.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Quote:
No, I just don't like to raise the volume too high, for some music it get very fatiguing, too punchy and ears starts to hurt.  IMO having as much isolation as possible and keeping the volume low helps me enjoy the music in its intricate details for a long time.  At this point(I dont know how I got this way, IEMs are the culprit),I cannot stand any other sound that is not comeing out of the earphones, even faintest noise.  I would isolate as much as possible if I could.  I believe it helps me to pick up faint details that the noise can drown.

Sounds like you need an IEM that is non fatiguing no matter how loud or long you listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back