IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Aug 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #2,566 of 2,837
Okay I feel better about it now :) Surprisingly the place that charges $25 was the most professional and friendly when I called to inquire so it worked out pretty well.  

Just to be sure I re-emailed Kayson asking to confirm they will remold super.fi 5 EBs.  Hoping to hear back so I can send them next week after getting my impressions done.

Edit: Just received a response from Kayson.  The super.fi 5 ebs are precision armature drivers and they will be able to remold them.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #2,567 of 2,837
I think Kaysen might be confused. The Super Fi 5 EB uses a mix of armature and dynamic drivers. It's the dynamic drivers that make them difficult to remold. The Super Fi 5 Pro uses only armature drivers.

Quote:

Edit: Just received a response from Kayson.  The super.fi 5 ebs are precision armature drivers and they will be able to remold them.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #2,569 of 2,837
"Super.fi 5 Extended Bass Earphones
Delivers superior full-range sound with extended bass and excellent mid
and high range response by combining two drivers in each earphone:
one high output diaphragm for lows and one precision balanced armature
for mids and highs.
Ideal for all types of music. Provides extended bass
response for those who prefer bass rich output" (taken from page 7)

The high output diaphragm is a dynamic driver.

Quote:

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2,571 of 2,837
But they have done them before and may do them again. The guy that was complaining about his was fairly notorious for this type of behavior. That said Im not sure if it was him being him or if they really did suck. I think UM reshells them also. They are in fact different than other dynamic designs in that the drivers are in their own containers. You will have a bore hole on the custom shell though since it will need airflow.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #2,572 of 2,837
You are exactly right, pseudohippy, they require a hole to be drilled in it.  

I spoke with Kayson on the phone (who was very nice and has been nothing but helpful through this process), they can do super.fi 5 eb's and even have a pair now they are remolding.  It does require a hole to be drilled to allow room for the components.  I'll be shipping mine out next Tuesday after I get my impressions done Monday afternoon. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,573 of 2,837
Hey guys, so I stepped on my Westone UM1 a while back. The tubing broke off so  I used super glue to put it back, let it rest and the next day tested it. Sadly, that side was significantly lower than the other, so I'm thinking of remolding it to maybe fix it. First, do you think the drivers are still fine? Second, did anyone have their UM1's remolded from them? How was it? And lastly, I'm thinking of changing the cable, are they selling or do I have to purchase separately? Thanks!

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #2,574 of 2,837
With regards to the cables fisher do sell their own at $30 (choice of colours) or you could buy an alternative.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #2,575 of 2,837
Got my impressions done this past Tuesday and spent the next two days debating on whether to follow through with reshelling.  Kept thinking to myself that I should just splurge and pick up the Westone 3 or 4 off of Craigslist.  Finally decided yesterday to play this out and eventually shipped them out via USPS with tracking.  I'm eager to see how improved the fit will be since I was never able to get a good fit with the TF10s and they just sat in my drawer for over a year and a half.  I wish there was some way for me to see the selection of available colors similar to 1964 Ears website (http://www.1964ears.com/products_colors.html

I've been talking to Chris, who happens to be in my area, and a lot of his info contributed to my decision so much props to him.  I'm still deciding on the cable upgrade and might just skip the cabling by Fisher and get it done by Chris.  By the way, am I the only one that finds the memory wire more cumbersome than helpful? Or do I just need to experience it with customs in order to appreciate it? 

Anyways, been a long time lurker on Head-Fi and looking to contribute more frequently.  Thanks for everyone's info...it's a great resource

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2,576 of 2,837
Just like to post an apology to fisher/kaysen.  Sent a package from the uk, but underestimated the time it would take to get to them from the airport hub.  Kept sending emails asking for updates (obviously wanting to know they got there ok), but got nothing back.  After about 3 or 4 of them not having any replys I eventually checked spam.  Yep thats where the replys had been going. DOH!  So yeah apologies.

Moral of the story, always check the spam if your expecting emails and not getting them

A slightly red faced
cheers.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2,577 of 2,837

Quote:
Hey guys, so I stepped on my Westone UM1 a while back. The tubing broke off so  I used super glue to put it back, let it rest and the next day tested it. Sadly, that side was significantly lower than the other, so I'm thinking of remolding it to maybe fix it. First, do you think the drivers are still fine? Second, did anyone have their UM1's remolded from them? How was it? And lastly, I'm thinking of changing the cable, are they selling or do I have to purchase separately? Thanks!

I'd of thought by the time you factor in cost of cables and impressions it might be cheaper to get another pair of um1's if you didn't have fit issues.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,578 of 2,837

Quote:

Anyways, been a long time lurker on Head-Fi and looking to contribute more frequently.  Thanks for everyone's info...it's a great resource

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!!! Ive seen some people take a while to make their first post but almost 8 YEARS!!! Yikes, that has to be a record lol. Anyhow, yes, do post more often, its a fun place and we could use your opinions.

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #2,579 of 2,837
Hahaha....I tend to lose focus of all the forums that I go onto and the threads that I follow....I'll be sure to contribute more, for sure.  Just waiting for the TF10s to be finished.  I did ask them last week to expedite and I'd pay extra.  Hoping that they are returned by the end of this week for my upcoming weekend trip.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back