IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Feb 6, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #1,622 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my refits today and they're great. The fit is solid and the bass has returned in the right side. They forgot to change my artwork to gold instead of silver, but it's no big deal. It still looks good!

That is really good to hear. I am really hoping that my refits are as good as yours
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #1,623 of 2,837
I received my UE TF10 from Fisher yesterday. My first impression is What? The sound signature has completely and totally changed. The bass has become boomy and undefined, the high that I crave for in TF10 and RE0, completely gone. Now it seems there is layers and layers of veil that are obstructing the sound. And the mids, what mids? The mids sounds the same as my CX300. I just can't believe this. While the fit for the left ear is perfect and very comfortable, I can't say the same for the right ear. As a matter of fact I can only wear them for only 10 minutes before I experience a discomfort from the right ear. The right ear is east to put on but very difficult to remove. I am beginning to wonder if these guys are just rushing the job because they are swamped with orders.

The reason I wanted to do the mod was because I loved the sound of the TF10 so much I wanted it to be my last IEM, at least for a while. Now it is my least favorite. Not sure what to make of this. I ordered the Fisher cable and the TF10 came this cable attached. I wanted to try the stock cable but the holes are now big for the stock cable to stay in place for too long. Any advice guys?

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #1,624 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my UE TF10 from Fisher yesterday. My first impression is What? The sound signature has completely and totally changed. The bass has become boomy and undefined, the high that I crave for in TF10 and RE0, completely gone. Now it seems there is layers and layers of veil that are obstructing the sound. And the mids, what mids? The mids sounds the same as my CX300. I just can't believe this. While the fit for the left ear is perfect and very comfortable, I can't say the same for the right ear. As a matter of fact I can only wear them for only 10 minutes before I experience a discomfort from the right ear. The right ear is east to put on but very difficult to remove. I am beginning to wonder if these guys are just rushing the job because they are swamped with orders.

The reason I wanted to do the mod was because I loved the sound of the TF10 so much I wanted it to be my last IEM, at least for a while. Now it is my least favorite. Not sure what to make of this. I ordered the Fisher cable and the TF10 came this cable attached. I wanted to try the stock cable but the holes are not big for the stock cable to stay in place for too long. Any advice guys?

I think the cables are changing the sound signature. I crimped the stock TF10 cables to fit these connectors and I feel I am hearing more shimmer...

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #1,625 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the cables are changing the sound signature. I crimped the stock TF10 cables to fit these connectors and I feel I am hearing more shimmer...

I don't. I think the bores are not correctly aligned into your ears. Try pressing on various parts of the shell when they're inserted and see if anything changes.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #1,627 of 2,837
i'd like to be optimistic because it's an awesome concept, but the whole thing just screams "hassle"

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #1,628 of 2,837
After complaining about the comfort of my TF10 after extended usage, I was directed to this thread incidently
smily_headphones1.gif

This thread is tldr at over 100 pages, but it seems to me that a lot of people are using UE custom or Fisher's own cables. Any reason in particular...comfort or SQ perhaps? and is it a dramatic difference? I've never had any complaints about the stock cables, and if it isn't so night/day I'd like to keep the iphone functionality of the stock 10vi cables.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #1,630 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fisher's remold socket doesn't fit with the tf10/tf10 vi stock's pin, this has been mentioned before.

it does fit, it's just not the most ideal solution, since it involves crimping the wires a bit.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #1,632 of 2,837
Update after a few days of listening.. the sound absolutely amazing. Of course, it's been around 1.5 months since I last listened to my stock TF10, but my reshelled customs are infinitely better than the stock ones (if not in terms of sound quality, definitely in terms of comfort)! The treble is just as clear as I remember it being, and the bass seems to be less muddy and more defined. These sound quality changes might be minor or even imagined, but one aspect that cannot be disputed is that the customs are so much more comfortable and isolating than the stock TF10. Before, I would struggle to find a decent seal in my small ear canal, then get frustrated with any slight tug would dislodge the IEM. Even if I got a seal, it seemed like it was only a partial seal, much less isolating and "sealy" when compared with my Shures. With the reshell, the difference is huge. Even when compared to my Shures, the difference is large. It's like comparing the difference between sticking your fingers in your ears vs. using deep-insertion foam earplugs in terms of isolation and comfort.

It definitely sucked being without my beloved IEMs for a period of time, and dealing with disappointment when I had to send them back for a refit. However, in the end I have a sweet set of custom shelled TF10 with amazing sound quality and comfort that can't be beat (or beaten?)!

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #1,633 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before, I would struggle to find a decent seal in my small ear canal, then get frustrated with any slight tug would dislodge the IEM. Even if I got a seal, it seemed like it was only a partial seal, much less isolating and "sealy" when compared with my Shures.

I'm sorry that I wasn't following your situation closer, but did you get new impressions made before your remold?

Also when you went to get the new impressions, did you do anything differently?

I think I've got the same issue going on with my left IEM where it's tough to get a seal, but I don't want to have to send them back unless I absolutely have to. I've also been unable to get a straight answer about reimpressions and if they're required.

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #1,634 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^^Thank you both. I will try the to crimp the pins on stock cable and see if that changes anything. I will also try what AVU suggested.

for me it the connection became stable enough by using a coin between the 2 pins of the stock cable to move them a bit apart...

regarding your "muddy" sound or missing highs: i had the same on the left ear and found out that i have to open and close my mouth 2-3 times after i have inserted the remolds to have a perfect fit, which means: after opening and closing my mouth both sides sound equal and the highs are perfect, same for fit, complete sealed. maybe it's worth a try... found this tip on ultimate ears how to use customs video
wink.gif

cheers

chris

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,635 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjaardker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry that I wasn't following your situation closer, but did you get new impressions made before your remold?

Also when you went to get the new impressions, did you do anything differently?

I think I've got the same issue going on with my left IEM where it's tough to get a seal, but I don't want to have to send them back unless I absolutely have to. I've also been unable to get a straight answer about reimpressions and if they're required.

Thanks!

I didn't get new impressions. Looking at my impressions and the first set of reshells they sent me, I had a strong belief that the issue was with the "cut" angle on the right monitor. The impressions showed that my ear canal pointed a certain way near where the monitors were "cut" and the left monitor was cut in a way that pointed straight in that direction. The right monitor was cut at a slightly off angle compared to the direction/shape of the right impression, making the ports face more towards a canal wall instead of straight in. The difference between the original reshells and the refitted ones is slight but now they are cut straight. Kim said that he thinks that the sound bores in the right monitor might have been slightly too long as well. They also made the canal portion slightly longer and thicker than before. There are many variables between the two reshells so I can't be sure which one (or combinations of them) rectified my issue but they are great now!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back