IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Feb 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #1,561 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His issue isn't so much with fit but more with the workmanship and sound quality.

Correct, though I don't have a problem with the workmanship. Fisher was embarassed at the photos which I posted of my IEMs after the second refit (the first had a massive sound imbalance) and pleaded for me to send them back in. They fit well and sounded good but I agreeed to send them back. In hindsight, I should have just kept them.

Since Kim is doing them personally this time (and has already verified the sound imbalance in the 4th refit), I'm hopeful that Fisher will get them right this time.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #1,562 of 2,837
Mine arrived today!

I'll take pictures a little later and put them in the owner's thread. Craftmanship seems pretty good at first blush. There are a few dust particles caught in the acrylic which is a bit sad, but other than that I'm quite happy with the aesthetics. They did a very good job with the art I had wanted.

However, I fear I might have a slight fit issue in the right ear. The left ear sort of "popped" into place as I started to put it in. The right ear seems to be a bit more of a struggle, and never seems to quite fit as flush. As such, the audio has a disctinctive "left of the center" feel to it. These are my first customs, so I dont know that I'm good with how to describe it. I made it about 20 minutes with them in before my ears started feeling a bit warm and irritated. I'm waiting for my ears to be up for another session (just took them out) before I give them another go.

How long has it taken for people to get used to customs? It's definitely...different. They take some work to take out, too!

--------------------

Edited to add: After a few more sessions of listening, things are getting better. My ears are starting to get used to having these in them. Honestly, they feel WEIRD. They feel the same as the goop did when I got my impressions done. I guess that makes sense, but for some reason it still surprised me!

I have varied the way I insert them, and am able to get a better seal on my right ear. Good enough to tell how things sound. The vocals are MUCH further forward than they were prior to customization. King of Leon in lossless practically sounded like a live performance.

But the right side isnt quite comfortable, and the bass "leans left". Blah. I fear I may need a remold, but I'm going to give them some days I think.

Pictures to come in the owner's thread in a few minutes.
smily_headphones1.gif

--------

Edited again:

Here's the link to my post with pictures.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/i...0/#post6288651

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #1,563 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any specific thing you should be looking for in the fit of a custom to make sure it's perfect? Mine sound fine to my ear, but it's not as well trained as many of those here. Freq response seems the same in both ears, doesn't slip out on movement, etc. Something minor to look for?

I guess the reason I ask is there's a minor thing that's been bugging me since I got these - it's not a fit issue, they fit fine. It's that the sound seems slightly veiled, with the trebles and overall energy not as dynamic. The problem is that I only had the TF10s for a few days before I sent them off to be reshelled, and since my old Q-jays had broken 2 months before, I just wasn't used to analytical listening. When I first got the TF10s, I was amazed at the dynamics and especially the sharp, articulate highs. But the customs just seem to be rolled off or veiled. When I turn up the volume, it just gets louder, not more dynamic or exciting. Same with changing the EQ - it just extentuates some part or another, but doesn't feel as dynamic overall.

Since I don't have a pair of TF10s to compare to anymore, I'm worried this is all just psychosomatic, and I've just become a more careful listener, but I can't help wondering whether there's either a minor fit issue (maybe not angled correctly into my ear) or that maybe one of the filters got messed up and is changing the dynamics.

To make things even more confusing, when I got my iBasso T3 and line out, it made a HUGE difference. They sounded MUCH better. Frankly, they sounded more like I remember them sounding originally when I first got them. But that makes no sense, because I didn't even have an amp then.

any thoughts? besides the fact that I'm crazy, which is unfortunately obvious?

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #1,564 of 2,837
The right monitor on mine felt like it fit fine but I think it was angled incorrectly. There was very little bass compared with the left side. I found that by twisting the monitor (right) I was able to get a good angle and thus good bass.

Kaysen said mine would ship early this week. I really hope I get them back sometime soon.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #1,565 of 2,837
Just wanted to chime in again....when I first received my remolded TF10s, the right ear seems very tight (a bit uncomfy) in my ear canal. The left ear seemed perfect. i called Kaysen and she assured me that I should wear them for a few more days maybe a week to get used to the feel of customs (my first set of customs). I gigged this weekend with them so I can now give a better report.

The right ear is now perfect fitting. It's not uncomfortable at all to insert. I guess my ears have adjusted to them. The seal on the right ear is perfect, won't break even if I smile, drink, or chew. The left ear however is now loose fitting. When I first insert it the seal doesn't close at all, it's only after a few minutes of the acrylic warming up and if I push them in my left canal do I get a seal. I'm going to use this again this weekend for a gig and them probably send them back to Fisher for a dip on the left ear and also adjusting of the center balance, I too am having some balances issues but maybe it's from the loose sealing left ear. I don't know.

Will keep you all posted. One thing for sure though - Fisher wants to make sure people are happy. Kaysen is very easy to deal with and pleasure on the phone. Call don't email.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #1,566 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The right monitor on mine felt like it fit fine but I think it was angled incorrectly. There was very little bass compared with the left side. I found that by twisting the monitor (right) I was able to get a good angle and thus good bass.

I'm having the same issue with my left ear. I have to really push the bottom edge of the shell in to get the tip into my canal, and with the angle changing when I do this the bass seems more heavy on the left side. Maybe I'll need to do another impression for my left ear.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #1,567 of 2,837
Just a quick question for those of you that are having balancing issues with your customs, are you using the stock cable or a custom cable with your reshells? If it is a custom cable what cable are you using.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #1,568 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelousmarvyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question for those of you that are having balancing issues with your customs, are you using the stock cable or a custom cable with your reshells? If it is a custom cable what cable are you using.

The balance issues have nothing to do with the cable.

Feb 2, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #1,570 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably correct. I'm using a Westone ES3 clear 50" cable.

Trust me. I'm 100% correct. I've had 5 remolds (all with the same cable) and the sound imbalances are due to errors on Fisher's part.

I got my #5 remold in the mail today and the sound imbalance that plagued remold #4 is now gone. They're burning in right now so I'll test them out tomorrow.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,571 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me. I'm 100% correct. I've had 5 remolds (all with the same cable) and the sound imbalances are due to errors on Fisher's part.

I got my #5 remold in the mail today and the sound imbalance that plagued remold #4 is now gone. They're burning in right now so I'll test them out tomorrow.

Are these your UE 5EB's?

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #1,573 of 2,837
Quote:

Correct, though I don't have a problem with the workmanship. Fisher was embarassed at the photos which I posted of my IEMs after the second refit (the first had a massive sound imbalance) and pleaded for me to send them back in. They fit well and sounded good but I agreeed to send them back. In hindsight, I should have just kept them.

Since Kim is doing them personally this time (and has already verified the sound imbalance in the 4th refit), I'm hopeful that Fisher will get them right this time.

so are you paying for shipping back to them each time you do so?

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #1,575 of 2,837
Quote:

That's them.

Wow. I wonder if it's an issue w/ those particular ones. That's some pretty bad luck otherwise.

Still waiting to see what yours looks like until I decide to do mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back