IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Dec 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #871 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah those are fantastic. Kentucky Blue
biggrin.gif

Nah...looks more Penn St. blue to me...
regular_smile .gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #872 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ravissimo, can you tell us about any changes in sound after the reshell? I know you didnt get a good fit, but did you hear anything different?

so.... to my ear, there were two main differences. I'm not too experienced in explaining the differences using accurate terminology, so if what I say doesn't make sense, I'll try to clarify.

For me, the bass seemed more intense. I'm not sure whether that would be considered "more bass". what I mean is that it didn't change the overall equalization of the phones, and the bass didn't overwhelm the mids or treble. It makes sense that this is just from the fact that the tips of the customs are further in your ear compared to the universal casing. that's my guess at least. Some of the songs on my playlist that I noticed this are the black eyed peas - hey mama, massive attack - angel, a perfect circle - passive, stp - all in the suit, tool - vicarious (sounds amazing), wolfmother - woman.

the other thing I noticed was the clarity of the treble. again, it didn't change the equalization at all, it just seemed that the treble was more "open" and had a larger soundstage. again, a few songs i noticed this in... massive attack - angel (great 'reference' song), default - all is forgiven, muse - starlight, live - dam at otter creek, remy zero - gramarye all sounded particularly more detailed in the highs.

The universal shell was too big to comfortably fit well at all. if you look at the pictures i posted before, you can see that they taper all the way down to the tip. so overall, there was no significant change in the sound signature for me. the few small changes were welcomed.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #873 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by ravissimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the bass seemed more intense. I'm not sure whether that would be considered "more bass". what I mean is that it didn't change the overall equalization of the phones, and the bass didn't overwhelm the mids or treble.

So there seemed to be more impact of bass? You actually "felt" the different sounds of the music?

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #874 of 2,837
I emailed them sunday night about some questions I had for some customs. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes them to email back? I know they are swamped but lately anyone know how long it takes for them to email back?

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #875 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkylover78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed them sunday night about some questions I had for some customs. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes them to email back? I know they are swamped but lately anyone know how long it takes for them to email back?

Usually Kaysen is quick to respond. She has always gotten back to me within a business working day.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #876 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by ravissimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so.... to my ear, there were two main differences. I'm not too experienced in explaining the differences using accurate terminology, so if what I say doesn't make sense, I'll try to clarify.

For me, the bass seemed more intense. I'm not sure whether that would be considered "more bass". what I mean is that it didn't change the overall equalization of the phones, and the bass didn't overwhelm the mids or treble. It makes sense that this is just from the fact that the tips of the customs are further in your ear compared to the universal casing. that's my guess at least. Some of the songs on my playlist that I noticed this are the black eyed peas - hey mama, massive attack - angel, a perfect circle - passive, stp - all in the suit, tool - vicarious (sounds amazing), wolfmother - woman.

the other thing I noticed was the clarity of the treble. again, it didn't change the equalization at all, it just seemed that the treble was more "open" and had a larger soundstage. again, a few songs i noticed this in... massive attack - angel (great 'reference' song), default - all is forgiven, muse - starlight, live - dam at otter creek, remy zero - gramarye all sounded particularly more detailed in the highs.

The universal shell was too big to comfortably fit well at all. if you look at the pictures i posted before, you can see that they taper all the way down to the tip. so overall, there was no significant change in the sound signature for me. the few small changes were welcomed.

Everything you said was very clear. Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #878 of 2,837
What's the current turn-around for these now? Just got my Amazon.fi 10s and am really considering doing this remold.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #880 of 2,837
Yes they should be able to ship them back in about 5 business days. So if over a weekend like mine, will ship the next Monday. But they might add a day as kaysen said they had more and more backing up. And emails are fast, I emailed her this morning and got a response within 10 minutes. And a call 29 mins later to discuss everything and I paid for em. But I probably got emailed back first as mine are there.

You emailed her today I bet you'll get a reply the earlier half of tomorrow. She is all over that.

I'll post more pics n details when mine arrive

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #881 of 2,837
Well, mine were received by Fisher on Monday and I was told today it would take about 7 business days. I think the turnaround time will increase as more people send their new orders in or resend their newly received custom molds for additional adjustments (not that unusual from what I understand for any custom molds). But eventually they will work through their backlog and the turnaround times will get back to previous levels (what was it, around 3-5 days?).

It is really a question of how long you are willing to be without your earphones and how badly you want custom molds.

I played around with the stock TripleFi's for a couple of days trying to get a perfect fit until my ears hurt and I got tired of looking like Frankenstein before I decided I definitely wanted the custom molds. I also bought an extra set of TripleFi's, so I'm not missing out on anything while I wait for my customs. I just kept thinking that getting a set of custom TripleFi's for about $200 was too good of a deal to pass up on. Also, the customer support at Fisher has been outstanding, which is critical when getting something like this which is custom made to fit your body.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #882 of 2,837
I'm trying to read through this huge thread and at the beginning they said only armature IEM's could be customized.

Is that still the case now? I have a set of Atrio M5's that are dynamic driver based IEM's I'd love to get custom re shelled. Is that possible?

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #883 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to read through this huge thread and at the beginning they said only armature IEM's could be customized.

Is that still the case now? I have a set of Atrio M5's that are dynamic driver based IEM's I'd love to get custom re shelled. Is that possible?

Only Balanced armatures still, with the ONLY exception to the Super Fi 5 EB

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #884 of 2,837
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only Balanced armatures still, with the ONLY exception to the Super Fi 5 EB

bummer, are there any services that would do a custom reshell of the Atrio's with a dynamic driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back