• I'm Neutral

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
Jun 20, 2023 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

WILLJS

100+ Head-Fier
IEMs or Cans?

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 30
IEMs and Headphones have their own pros and cons, and bring different benefits to the table.

For example, most headphones beats IEMs in soundstage. Whereas, some headphones have weaker isolation (eg open backed cans), or need more robust amplification, so they may be less portable than IEMs.

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 30
i agree (that's why i said neutral), however, my nicest iems are a fair bit better than my nicest headphones (hifiman re800 silver vs sennheiser momentum 1) however, i'm waiting for some focal elegia's, which should be a fair step up from either of these.
i think the main advantage of iems is that their cheaper to make (generally), so you get more quality for less money.

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 30
have you voted?

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 30
which headphones and iems do you have

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 30
I’m neutral, and similar to what the other person said, there is a time and place for either type.

That said, if I am forced to own only one pair and throw away everything else, then it’s going to be an IEM. I like my private listening experience, so I will prioritize on portability and isolation.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 30
Overall I like IEMs more. That said, if I didn’t need isolation then I’d use my Elear with Clear pads all day, everyday.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 30
i agree (that's why i said neutral), however, my nicest iems are a fair bit better than my nicest headphones (hifiman re800 silver vs sennheiser momentum 1) however, i'm waiting for some focal elegia's, which should be a fair step up from either of these.
i think the main advantage of iems is that their cheaper to make (generally), so you get more quality for less money.
My experience is that quality IEMs cost more but don't sound as good as full size cans in the same price range.
They do have advantage of portability and isolation and even comfort comparing to full size HP though.
But when I need the best quality in desktop setup with proper dac/amp, nothing beats full size open headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 30
My experience is that quality IEMs cost more but don't sound as good as full size cans in the same price range.
They do have advantage of portability and isolation and even comfort comparing to full size HP though.
But when I need the best quality in desktop setup with proper dac/amp, nothing beats full size open headphones.
I’ve heard people argue the exact opposite. I’ve heard people say that you get more for your money most of the time with IEM’s.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 30
Only full sized headphones.
Because I only listen to music at the comfort of home.
On the go, either I am driving or with my kids.

Jul 20, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 30
I’ve heard people argue the exact opposite. I’ve heard people say that you get more for your money most of the time with IEM’s.
Just my experience, for example best bang for the buck TOTL Monarch MK2, run about the same price as HE1000V2. And there is light years difference between two. Similarly priced DD Focal Clear MG also greatly outperforms Monarch.
May be when you slide down into budget category things change, but not in middle/upper tier.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #15 of 30
Collecting IEMs is more fun and they give more sound quality for the buck below 800-900$.
Clearly the best audiofilie experience for me is given by the Hifiman HE1000v3 ....but when it gets late they are too loud for the wife... it's like having a pair of speakers on your ears . I always finish the day with IEMs,they sound amazing and i can take them anywhere without disturbing anybody.
An audiofilie only needs one pair of planar open back headphones and 2 or 3 pairs of iems .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back