IEMs or Amp?
May 17, 2007 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NightEcho

100+ Head-Fier
Ok. I've been trolling for awhile and doing a little research. In terms of the audiophile world, I'm on the edge of the pool and just getting my toes wet. I've got the 30G iPod video with beyerdynamic DT 231s. I got the headphones about two years ago after deciding to enter the world of better sound. Clearly an upgrade from the stock ibuds.

Anyway, I'm to the point where I'm looking to upgrade, but not sure what the best option would be. So, I'm thinking of either getting a pair of IEMs (Shure E2Cs, Ety ER6s or Westone UM1) or getting an amp (Go-Vibe 6, XIN SuperMicro IV or maybe even a C&C XO). As you can see, I'm trying to stick on the lower end of the $ spectrum. Not quite ready to go all out.

The question is, where would I hear the most difference - the IEMs or an amp with my current cans? I'm thinking that my current cans and the IEMs I'm looking at are at the entry level, so an amp may better. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

May 17, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 12
since you are not the type who would upgrade too fast, go for amp 1st. save alittle and just shoot for the better iem from the above metioned
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 12
IEMs are very different. You should only get the IEMs if you have a very specific reason why you need them now. Otherwise, I think your current Beyer's will benefit from an amp.

May 17, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 12
UM1 are one of the best IEM's I've ever heard, and I've listened to the e500 quite a bit!

I'm not saying they're BETTER than the e500, but they're still damn good.

Go for it
wink.gif

then go for new cans... THEN get an amp.

May 17, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 12
I'd go for the cans, first. Since they'll be your first IEM and may not impress you as much as full-size cans (even if your full-sizers aren't exactly high-end they prob give a bigger soundstage than IEMs) you can always EQ the iPod to get your new cans sounding the way you like. I'm not a fan of the iPod sound (and I own two) at all, even using lossless media, and don't think amping iPods helps their sound much. I gave up on amping mine (and I own a Tomahawk & nice line-out cable!) and presently use all of my portable amps w/vintage PCDP's. Good luck in your decision and your purchase.

May 17, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Cans first. You need cans for that amp to drive something, after all. And IEMs are dead useful outside, compared to closed cans, where they can be huge and bulky.

May 17, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 12
IEMs x4

Specifically, the UM1s. I really hear the most benefit from upgrading backwards -- i.e. headphones->amp->source->cables. Again, though, IEM's aren't just for better sound. They're usually designed for portable listening. If you're not planning on doing any portable listening, IEM's are perhaps not for you.

May 17, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 12
anybody above has the cans, dt231? the cans will sound much much better with an amp. although, it's summer time. can you still the heat? i know it's not a very big can(i have that) but it's still pretty hot when using them in summer time. and do you think you're ready to take an amp with your ipod?

May 17, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks everybody for the responses. It seems somewhat split down the middle. I don't do a ton of portable listening, but that's mainly what the IEMs would be for when I do need portability - I just have ibuds for portable right now. Since I don't do portable listening that much, having an amp is not that big a deal. At work, I've just got a portable speaker system, which is fine there because it's really more for background noise than true listening. I do real listening at home. I have to say, the dt231s do get hot - can't stand using them outside (i.e., mowing the lawn, etc.). I took them on a cruise once and listened to them by the pool - was sweating my ***** off.

Big question - will I tell a bigger difference moving from the 231s to IEMs or from unamped to amped?

May 17, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 12
I like listening to iem's and the isolation reality they conjure. On the other hand since you have a set of cans, an amplifier would offer another experience and may enable the purchase of another headphone that will inspire you...

May 17, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 12
Maylerone X3, Supermicro IV.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back