IEM's For Office Use
Nov 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Luca B

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase a pair of IEM's to replace my Klipsch S4's which recently broke. I've outlined some of the important information to consider when choosing an IEM.

Budget - Up to $100. I'm willing to spend a little bit more if it's absolutely necessary to find the right headphone for me, but this is what I was hoping to spend

Source - iPod Classic, iPhone 5S, Macbook Pro. My main source will be my iPod and iPhone. I don't own and amp or plan to. 

Isolation - No real preference. I'll be using these in my office at work 95% of the time. Ideally, I'd be able to hear if someone came into my office and asked me a question, but generally I'll see them walk in and take off my headphones anyway. However, because I'll be using these in an office, I would like them to have as little sound leakage as possible. This is one of my top priorities. If my headphones leak sound at medium volume to the point where someone near me can hear what I'm listening to they'll be nearly useless to me. 

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I'm only interested in IEM type headphones. Since I'll be transporting these from home to work every day this is the style of headphone I like.

Past Headphones - Klispch S4, Shure 440

Preferred Tonal Balance - I wish I had a better answer for this question. I don't really know. I've only really owned the S4's and 440's. I'm happy with the sound of both. I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, but I would be disappointed in an IEM that was lacking bass. When I listen to cheaper headphones I tend to find the high end somewhat harsh and metallic, so I think that's something I'd like to avoid. My 440's are pretty neutral sounding and I like their sound overall. I've heard the S4's are on the bass heavy side and aren't well regarded, but I owned them for 5 years (they broke yesterday) and was happy with their sound. Although, I'd love to improve upon the S4's with my next pair. 

Preferred Music - I listen to a wide range of music, but I guess the majority of my collection is classic rock and indie. The only genre I never really listen to is hip hop. If I need to elaborate on this point let me know and I will do so, but I'm attempting to keep this post somewhat brief. 

Overall, I'm looking for an IEM I can wear everyday at work. It needs to be comfortable, durable, and have as little sound leakage as possible. These three attributes are what I value most. Of course I would like great sound, but I'd rather not sacrifice any of those three things in order to get it. 

Presently I'm favoring the Shure SE215's, but have some reservations due to reports of malfunctioning units. The majority of the reviews I've read are dated, so I'm not sure if Shure has addressed this. If anyone has some information on the durability of recent SE215's I'd love to hear it. Other headphones on my short list are ATH-IM50 and RHA MA750 (above budget). I really like what I've read about the MA750's but can't decide if they're any better for me than the SE215's. If there's a reason I should choose one over the other let me know. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 19
  I'm looking to purchase a pair of IEM's to replace my Klipsch S4's which recently broke. I've outlined some of the important information to consider when choosing an IEM.

Budget - Up to $100. I'm willing to spend a little bit more if it's absolutely necessary to find the right headphone for me, but this is what I was hoping to spend

Source - iPod Classic, iPhone 5S, Macbook Pro. My main source will be my iPod and iPhone. I don't own and amp or plan to. 

Isolation - No real preference. I'll be using these in my office at work 95% of the time. Ideally, I'd be able to hear if someone came into my office and asked me a question, but generally I'll see them walk in and take off my headphones anyway. However, because I'll be using these in an office, I would like them to have as little sound leakage as possible. This is one of my top priorities. If my headphones leak sound at medium volume to the point where someone near me can hear what I'm listening to they'll be nearly useless to me. 

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. I'm only interested in IEM type headphones. Since I'll be transporting these from home to work every day this is the style of headphone I like.

Past Headphones - Klispch S4, Shure 440

Preferred Tonal Balance - I wish I had a better answer for this question. I don't really know. I've only really owned the S4's and 440's. I'm happy with the sound of both. I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, but I would be disappointed in an IEM that was lacking bass. When I listen to cheaper headphones I tend to find the high end somewhat harsh and metallic, so I think that's something I'd like to avoid. My 440's are pretty neutral sounding and I like their sound overall. I've heard the S4's are on the bass heavy side and aren't well regarded, but I owned them for 5 years (they broke yesterday) and was happy with their sound. Although, I'd love to improve upon the S4's with my next pair. 

Preferred Music - I listen to a wide range of music, but I guess the majority of my collection is classic rock and indie. The only genre I never really listen to is hip hop. If I need to elaborate on this point let me know and I will do so, but I'm attempting to keep this post somewhat brief. 

Overall, I'm looking for an IEM I can wear everyday at work. It needs to be comfortable, durable, and have as little sound leakage as possible. These three attributes are what I value most. Of course I would like great sound, but I'd rather not sacrifice any of those three things in order to get it. 

Presently I'm favoring the Shure SE215's, but have some reservations due to reports of malfunctioning units. The majority of the reviews I've read are dated, so I'm not sure if Shure has addressed this. If anyone has some information on the durability of recent SE215's I'd love to hear it. Other headphones on my short list are ATH-IM50 and RHA MA750 (above budget). I really like what I've read about the MA750's but can't decide if they're any better for me than the SE215's. If there's a reason I should choose one over the other let me know. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

I own a few Shure IEMs, and I've never experienced a malfunction *knock on wood*, but the few times I had to contact Shure, they were very polite and helpful. Even if there's an issue with your headphone, rest assured they'll take care of you. As for the MA750, its a nice IEM, and it's alot like the SE215s in terms of sound quality and signature. Its low end performance is actually slightly better than the SE215. However, I've been having some cable issues with my pair. The point that connects to the stainless steal housing is loosening a bit. This is a problem that could be avoided with the SE215's detachable cables. Additionally, RHA's customer service leaves a little to be desired. I would personally go with the Shures since I find them to be a better overall package with better customer service to boot. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 19
  I own a few Shure IEMs, and I've never experienced a malfunction *knock on wood*, but the few times I had to contact Shure, they were very polite and helpful. Even if there's an issue with your headphone, rest assured they'll take care of you. As for the MA750, its a nice IEM, and it's alot like the SE215s in terms of sound quality and signature. Its low end performance is actually slightly better than the SE215. However, I've been having some cable issues with my pair. The point that connects to the stainless steal housing is loosening a bit. This is a problem that could be avoided with the SE215's detachable cables. Additionally, RHA's customer service leaves a little to be desired. I would personally go with the Shures since I find them to be a better overall package with better customer service to boot. 

This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear about. Thank you. I'll bear that in mind when making my decision. 

Would you say I'm on the right track with my choice of SE215's? Does that seem like an IEM that would fit my needs?

If anyone has any other models of IEMs that they think I should take a look at let me know. I'm not dead set on the Shure's, but that's where my research has lead me so far. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 19
  This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear about. Thank you. I'll bear that in mind when making my decision. 

Would you say I'm on the right track with my choice of SE215's? Does that seem like an IEM that would fit my needs?

If anyone has any other models of IEMs that they think I should take a look at let me know. I'm not dead set on the Shure's, but that's where my research has lead me so far. 

I believe so. The SE215 are a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods, while the MA750's heavy steel housing can get tiring. The fact that RHA's HQ is in Scotland also makes them harder to deal with if you have issues. In comparison, Shure has a customer service center in the US and a number where you can reach them immediately if needed. Processing for replacements is also extremely fast since they just send you a brand new pair of headphones. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 19
I believe so. The SE215 are a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods, while the MA750's heavy steel housing can get tiring. The fact that RHA's HQ is in Scotland also makes them harder to deal with if you have issues. In comparison, Shure has a customer service center in the US and a number where you can reach them immediately if needed. Processing for replacements is also extremely fast since they just send you a brand new pair of headphones. 

That's good to hear and helps with my decision. How is the sound leakage with the SE215s? At medium volume does any sound escape while they're in your ears?

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 19
That's good to hear and helps with my decision. How is the sound leakage with the SE215s? At medium volume does any sound escape while they're in your ears?

Sound leakage is minimal provided that you have a good fit. :) I normally listen at around 60% volume on my iPhone and I've never been asked to turn then down. I wear them to sleep, and my gf has never complained of sound leakage either, although I do listen on lower volumes then. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 19
Audio Technica IM50 is half price of SE215, but sounds quite better. They also have removable cable.

Do they really sound quite a bit better than a pair of earphones that you've admitted to never trying before? 
deadhorse.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Sound leakage is minimal provided that you have a good fit. :) I normally listen at around 60% volume on my iPhone and I've never been asked to turn then down. I wear them to sleep, and my gf has never complained of sound leakage either, although I do listen on lower volumes then. 

Great to hear. You've been very helpful, thank you.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 19
Try the Ostry KC06.  

I use them at work.  Their isolation is not that great, which is a good thing for those times I want to hear the phone or someone behind me trying to talk to me.  Also, they are cheap enough that I don't have to worry about theft. 

I use the Aurisonics ROCKETS when things get a little too loud and I want better isolation.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 19
I've been reading what information on those I've been able to find. Being a japanese import I'm a little wary. My concern is warranty claims if something should happen.
Do they really sound quite a bit better than a pair of earphones that you've admitted to never trying before? :deadhorse:

I have owned both 50 and 215.

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 19
I've been reading what information on those I've been able to find. Being a japanese import I'm a little wary. My concern is warranty claims if something should happen.

That is decision up to You.
I have had over 10 Audio Technica products, and no one is failed sooner than a 2 years.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 19
I have owned both 50 and 215.

I'm gonna be frank here. You need to drop this personal vendetta against Shure. To run around spreading false information and drawing conclusions on headphones you've never tried is unfair to Shure and the people who are curious about their products. You've previously stated that you've never tried many of Shure products that you're ridiculing, so you shouldn't be drawing comparisons. I'm not saying this simply because I like their products, but what you're doing is straight-up misleading people. Not to mention that you're stating outright lies about public perception about certain products. If I were you, I would stop. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back