IEMs below $150 for bass, clarity and warmth?
Jun 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Out7p

Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm new here,

I'm looking for some recommendations on some IEMs which offer bass, clarity and warmth below $150.

I listen to electronic, dnb/dubstep (all that) and folk music mainly but like to throw lots of music in.

I'm looking for a good amount of bass and something which is alright at multiple genres. 

Much appreciated! :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 27
Vsonic VSD1 would be ideal, and it's cheap.

Sounds lovely, fit is superb great all rounder seems to work well whatever the genre thrown at it.

You won't hear much about it, as only a few of us have them, but trust me they're worth it.

http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?products_id=75

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:
Hey guys I'm new here,

I'm looking for some recommendations on some IEMs which offer bass, clarity and warmth below $150.

I listen to electronic, dnb/dubstep (all that) and folk music mainly but like to throw lots of music in.

I'm looking for a good amount of bass and something which is alright at multiple genres. 

Much appreciated! :)

Iam selling my JVC FXT90, Sony E474(8GB)MP3 Player and Harmen kardon AE for only $150 and wondering if you are interested to buy these because Sony E474 and JVC FXT90 are unused brand new and Harmen Kardon AE has less than 50Hrs use. JVC FXT90 are very bassheavy with great overall clarity and they shows lots of hidden details in music.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
The Yamaha eph-100s are also good for your purposes

They look pretty great, do you know how they compare to the GR07s and the SE215 ltds?

Quote:

Iam selling my JVC FXT90, Sony E474(8GB)MP3 Player and Harmen kardon AE for only $150 and wondering if you are interested to buy these because Sony E474 and JVC FXT90 are unused brand new and Harmen Kardon AE has less than 50Hrs use. JVC FXT90 are very bassheavy with great overall clarity and they shows lots of hidden details in music.

I really appreciate your offer but JVC headphones aren't my cup of tea :)

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 27
I don't know how bassy you mean, but the TDK BA200 has good bass and clarity, has warmth and is non-fatiguing while being detailed. More bass and it would probably hurt clarity of the midrange. It sells for under $150 occasionally. It has kind of an ambient "3D" soundstage which is good for electronic music, and I an vouch for it being very nice with folk music. Check out some reviews and impressions.

Good luck!

edit:
From memory of my GR07 (original), the BA200 probably have a bit less sub-bass, a bit more mid-bass, more forward mids, similar detail levels if not nominally more detail, and a deeper and taller soundstage, but less wide, and more laid back highs. Overall sound quality wise they are probably pretty close and could go either way depending on preferences.

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 27
I recommend considering Hifiman RE-400 as well. They have very tight, very punchy, slightly emphasized lows, suitable for just about any genre out there IMO, unless you are a basshead. The sound definitely has nice warmth to it. The clarity is top notch. Also, the ergonomics are fantastic - the IEMs are exceptionally small and easy to fit. I consider RE-400 to be a steal at $99, as I haven't heard any headphone that can beat its overall sound quality for anywhere near the price.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
I recommend considering Hifiman RE-400 as well. They have very tight, very punchy, slightly emphasized lows, suitable for just about any genre out there IMO, unless you are a basshead. The sound definitely has nice warmth to it. The clarity is top notch. Also, the ergonomics are fantastic - the IEMs are exceptionally small and easy to fit. I consider RE-400 to be a steal at $99, as I haven't heard any headphone that can beat its overall sound quality for anywhere near the price.

I personally wouldn't recommend the RE-400 for DNB and Dubstep...  Maybe something along the lines of a ThinkSound TS02 or MS01 might be better for the OP.  Even the Shure SE-215 might be a good fit.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
I personally wouldn't recommend the RE-400 for DNB and Dubstep...  Maybe something along the lines of a ThinkSound TS02 or MS01 might be better for the OP.  Even the Shure SE-215 might be a good fit.

Well, firstly, I think RE400 is already north of neutral and has plenty of bass body and impact for all music genres, unless the listener is a basshead, and secondly, the OP also listens to folk and other genres where mids and highs are just as important as the bass and I am pretty certain that neither of those ThinkSounds, nor the Shures can compare to RE-400 in mid and treble quality, and probably not in bass quality either. I would place RE-400 at least on SE535 level overall, which I am sure is quite a bit better than SE215. Just my 2 cents.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Well, firstly, I think RE400 is already north of neutral and has plenty of bass body and impact for all music genres, unless the listener is a basshead, and secondly, the OP also listens to folk and other genres where mids and highs are just as important as the bass and I am pretty certain that neither of those ThinkSounds, nor the Shures can compare to RE-400 in mid and treble quality, and probably not in bass quality either. I would place RE-400 at least on SE535 level overall, which I am sure is quite a bit better than SE215. Just my 2 cents.

do you have any experience with the se535? i have a trifi10, i think the bass and warmth may fit the op, the clarity is ok, i used to think it has good clarity but then later i was introduced to more gears 
size]
. the wow factor is gone now since i have it for a considerably long time though i still use the trifi10 and it still sounds nice to me. it also sounds thick enough for me to not have fatigue for long listening sessions. do you know how the re400 compares against the trifi10?

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Bolded is relative. What you consider a basshead may not be what someone else considers a basshead. This isn't saying anything of your recommendation, its just saying.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

I was definitely considering those but I wasn't sure how much bass they had, I have heard that the sound quality is fantastic though!

Quote:

Have you listened to the Thinksounds? How were they? Do the TS02's or the MS01's have more bass?

Thanks

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

I was definitely considering those but I wasn't sure how much bass they had, I have heard that the sound quality is fantastic though!

Have you listened to the Thinksounds? How were they? Do the TS02's or the MS01's have more bass?

Thanks

TS02 has more bass than the MS01. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
The Yamaha eph-100s are also good for your purposes

I have to second this. I don't have them, but everything I've read pretty much says that these have clear instrument separation with above average bass. I would get these, but I went for the GR07 bass edition ($180). I've been lurking this site since march of last year, and the gr07s are always mentioned, so I went down that route.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:
I have to second this. I don't have them, but everything I've read pretty much says that these have clear instrument separation with above average bass. I would get these, but I went for the GR07 bass edition ($180). I've been lurking this site since march of last year, and the gr07s are always mentioned, so I went down that route.

How are you finding them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back