IEMs bassier than ATH-M50 or Sony MDR-XB500 under $150?
Jan 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #31 of 39
I am curious about your impressions as well.  I had a set of xb500s and bailed on them because the bass muddied up the rest of the sound for me.  I picked up a pair of VBs and am very happy with them.  I do plan on getting a set of the Eterna v1 once someone has tested the reproduction out...maily out of curiosity.  The VBs are  a very nice set and I do not find them lacking in any way...other than fit.  My S4 require too deep of an insertion for my comfort and the VB seems to be too shallow.  Subscribed to this thread and waiting on your opinion.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #32 of 39
Will do, but keep in mind that shipping is going to take around two weeks, if not more.. gosh I hate waiting.

Also, now I'm glad I didn't order the VB, because I found the S4 extremely comfortable and since you're saying the VB are much more shallow fitting I don't think they would have suited me right. Lets hope the Genesis will be what I'm looking for. I'm no audiophile and have only had two pairs of "good" headphones (Klipsch S4 and ATH-M50), but will post what I can about the Genesis when i get them.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #33 of 39
First post. Been lurking forever, so I decided to get an account. I just had the turbines for about a week. Great IEM's for good bass with a decent mid and high end. I had the s4's and the sennheiser cx-300 II's as well. Didn't like the sennsheiser's. The s4's were ok to me, but the mids and highs were too harsh for my taste (burned in for about 30 hours). Not as warm as the turbines. The funny thing is, I grabbed a pair of those JVC marshmallows for fun and switched the tips to Sony silicones, then did the kramer mod. The marshmallows, after some burn-in, hit way harder in the low end now than the Turbines. I didn't really believe it. I can eq those to sound almost exactly like the Turbines, so I returned them. Not even close to being worth the price difference if you can eq and do the mod. The changing of the tips made the biggest difference to me. I'm blown away by these marshmallows now for "fun" listening. I'm a writer, so I (unfortunately) have to do about half of the engineering on my songs. That is my background in sound. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile. I like nice thick bass. I can't help it. But my engineer listened to those marshmallows and was impressed as well. I'd pick up a pair and do these mods just to see how close you can get to what you bought.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #34 of 39
Great thread for me as it's following my preferences pretty closely.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a super critical listener and bang-for-the-buck is a big priority for me. I love a full, fun sound that brings out the energy of my music and bass is typically the part that seems missing on most phones I've tried. I bought my daughter some XB500's for XMas and she loves them. (she wanted Beats) I've only listened to them a few times but thought they were amazing, especially for the low $$, so I'll probably grab some for myself, too.

I've been using modded Marshmallows for a few years now and I enjoy them. Decent bass response as long as they're fully inserted deeply into my ears. But now, after listening to the XB500's, I'm wondering if I'd like any of the newer canalphones even more. Most of the models listed in this thread are ones I'm interested in so I'm looking forward to more opinions. Keep 'em coming!

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #36 of 39
ATH-M50 has no coloration on its bass. it will give accurate-natural response and great sound production even in its extreme volume. it's bass not bassy as you wanted. XB500 and IEM are bassy or has coloration on its low-mid and low frequecies.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #37 of 39
Lady Gaga Heartbeatz are almost as bassy as the XB-700*being serious* or the s4, that would be my pick.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #38 of 39
get VBs, I owned both VBs and m50s and VBs with the 2dot plate installed are great bass-thumping monsters. They give good thumping bass, although less controlled than the m50s. Overall they have excellent treble and bass with decent mids, but are sibilant on some tracks. 
There's probably a better IEM out there that is closer to the m50s sound signature and I would love to get that, but for now I'd have to say the VBs with 2dot plates are as close you can get.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #39 of 39

Quote:
get VBs, I owned both VBs and m50s and VBs with the 2dot plate installed are great bass-thumping monsters. They give good thumping bass, although less controlled than the m50s. Overall they have excellent treble and bass with decent mids, but are sibilant on some tracks. 
There's probably a better IEM out there that is closer to the m50s sound signature and I would love to get that, but for now I'd have to say the VBs with 2dot plates are as close you can get.

Agree. From bassheavy iems Sony MDR-90LP, Meelec M9 and Xears TD100 II, Hippo VB gives the deepest bass with a nice controlled punch. Especially with the 2-dot plate it gives the most impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back