IEMs and their headphone counterparts
Apr 5, 2018 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tens245

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at iems after getting some nice headphones and hoping for something more portable, but still similar. However, I've read that iems aren't really the same and shouldn't be expected to compared as well - for instance I've read the Nova compared to a hd650, possibly with less clarity and imaging, but still very good for iems.

So I was curious, what headphones would you compare high end/totl iems to in terms of sq? Does the Andromeda actually sound close to the hd800, or is it closer to a mid fi headphone? What about the a12t? Etc etc

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 7
When I first heard the Andro, I thought the treble did in a way due to the rise in the lower treble, but if you consider the whole spectrum of the response, it's on the warm side, in which HD800 is not, which lacks the low end or general warmth. I'd say Andro is more akin to a bit water downed iem version of Utopia, but with a bit more warmth(as Utopia bass doesn't really get that warm, but good quantity, impact, and articulation). Characteristically, they lie in similar positions in their respective domains, they both lie in is that their their sound stage doesn't seem to be overly large, but about radially similar distance(not one axis is overly exaggerated over the other), and they both have that characteristic that brings out ambient sounds from recordings.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 7
When I first heard the Andro, I thought the treble did in a way due to the rise in the lower treble, but if you consider the whole spectrum of the response, it's on the warm side, in which HD800 is not, which lacks the low end or general warmth. I'd say Andro is more akin to a bit water downed iem version of Utopia, but with a bit more warmth(as Utopia bass doesn't really get that warm, but good quantity, impact, and articulation). Characteristically, they lie in similar positions in their respective domains, they both lie in is that their their sound stage doesn't seem to be overly large, but about radially similar distance(not one axis is overly exaggerated over the other), and they both have that characteristic that brings out ambient sounds from recordings.

When you say 'watered down,' what do you mean by that?

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 7
No, it doesn't work that way. You are comparing two characteristically different headphones and asking it's it's analogous to iem to headphones. If those two are the limited examples that you can imagine, I suggest you are much better off just listening to them yourself.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 7
Hmm, i was hoping for a more detailed description given all the various terms ppl use to describe differences in sound on this forum, but maybe this kind of comparison doesn't apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back