IEM with most forward midrange?
Dec 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JosephKim

1000+ Head-Fier
I know of the Shure se530/535, but before I buy a pair are there any other less expensive IEMs with really forward midrange that Im not thinking of? Im not too concerned with other parts of the spectrum, just really forward and clear midrange.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
I know of the Shure se530/535, but before I buy a pair are there any other less expensive IEMs with really forward midrange that Im not thinking of? Im not too concerned with other parts of the spectrum, just really forward and clear midrange.

Etymotic MC3 or MC5 have a forward and *very* clear midrange.  Decent highs too, but lighter on the low end than most other IEMs.  They are both available for under a hundred bucks.

Also, all Shure IEMs will have a forward midrange.  It's their "house sound".

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 11
Less expensive iems with a forward midrange I have heard are the IE7, UM2, Custom 3, and PFE (with grey filters). The PFE has the best midrange clarity out of the bunch

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 11
e-Q7 and RE262 are both forward in midrange. Vocals are great on both.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 11
Actually, I don't think SE530 has a forward midrange - I think it has a balanced, natural midrange. For me forward means in-your-face, aggressive type of sound, which SE530 does not provide - it is relaxed and natural. Also the mids on SE530 do not dominate over its bass and treble, which is another possible definition of forward. In this sense, I think UM3X has a very forward midrange and also SM3 with tips that have a small opening - they both have a lot of mids compared to treble which makes the mids really stand out. With SE530, the reason why mids stand out is because they are so damn insanely, super amazingly fanfreakintastic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 11
2 days ago , you could have bought a brand new RE-262 for 150-160$ from the FS threads

I don't think at that price you will/can find a better IEM...Or a better midrange- IEM

Keep an eye on the FS threads , maybe one will come up again soon

Quote:

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 11
I wouldn't say they are that power hungry as the driver used is pretty efficient however they make your source quite inefficient. Out of the J3 they weren't bad but battery wouldn't last that long according to another head-fi member who told me he got around 8 hours or so with the RE262 on his J3.

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 11
Ortofons are more mid centric than mid forward but they would be a good choice for quality mids at much lower price than the shures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back