iem vs full-size headphone: which is more damaging to your ears?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by cityfear, Feb 5, 2009.
2
Next
 
Last
  1. cityfear
    iem vs full-size headphone: which is more damaging to your ears?
     
  2. ingwe
    Neither. Both. Type is irrelevant; it all depends on how loud you listen and for how long you listen.
     
  3. krmathis Contributor
    Neither! Its the sound pressure volume that damage your hearing, regardless if the sound come from IEM's, portable headphones, full size headphones, ...
     
  4. NiceCans Contributor
    agreed


    but also consider that closed headphones can often be played at lower volumes than open cans because they isolate and you do not compete with outside noises, IEM's usually isolate even better.
     
  5. FrederikS|TPU
    X4!
     
  6. ingwe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    agreed


    but also consider that closed headphones can often be played at lower volumes than open cans because they isolate and you do not compete with outside noises, IEM's usually isolate even better.




    Yes, but irrelevant to the question. Anything loud enough--within a time-frame--will damage hearing.
     
  7. NiceCans Contributor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Yes, but irrelevant to the question.



    if you say so [​IMG]

    perhaps directly, but once we've established that any loud source will cause damage, listening practices would be the next relevant issue in safe listening.
     
  8. ingwe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    if you say so [​IMG]

    perhaps directly, but once we've established that any loud source will cause damage, listening practices would be the next relevant issue in safe listening.




    So, start a different thread--you hijacker you! [​IMG]
     
  9. NiceCans Contributor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    So, start a different thread--you hijacker you! [​IMG]





    [​IMG]
     
  10. fatcat28037 Contributor
    I beleive Nicecans is simply making the point that closed headphones can be played at a lower volume that open style phones.
     
  11. ingwe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I beleive Nicecans is simply making the point that closed headphones can be played at a lower volume that open style phones.



    Still irrelevant. You fatcat you.
     
  12. Aaron5604
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cityfear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    iem vs full-size headphone: which is more damaging to your ears?



    I think that really depends...

    IEM's are designed to block more ambient sound, therefore give a user the advantage in being able to drop the volume significantly w/out compromising the experience. I mean, after it's all said and done, IEM's are safer just because of the greater amount of isolation being provided from outside noise. Though, it's entirely up to the user in making the most out of what in fact is. Because, anyone in here could also turn this around and say that such and such is more dangerous depending on how such is being used; whether that be an IEM or headphone[​IMG]
     
  13. Edoardo
    I've been told that open or semi open headphones are the safest.. Is also that irrelevant? [​IMG]
     
  14. shigzeo Contributor
    iems are probably the worst as though they allow listening at lower volumes, if you wear them too long, your ear cannot breathe. too much moisture can make for infections which unchecked can breed hearing loss.

    but otherwise give and take
     
  15. ClieOS Contributor
    Car can crash and kill people, hence we practice safe driving - same principle applies to all headphones, IEM or full-size alike.
     
2
Next
 
Last

Share This Page