IEM Upgrade Advice - GR07 / Atrio M5 Shortlisted
Jan 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mr Ben

New Head-Fier
Howdy,

I'm looking to upgrade from my current slightly modded V-Moda chrome rouge (not difficult according to various Head-fi comments!).

the V-Moda does sound very boomy and uncontrolled in a quiet environment, however I quite like the sound for using outdoors as the bass cuts through nicely.

I also use Sennheiser HD25-1 for DJ mixing / band rehearsal purposes. I do really enjoy the sound of them, although I'm not really prepared to use them outdoors (for reasons of security and vanity).

I've spent a few weeks on the various comparison threads, and having considered the Triple.Fi 10 and Atrio M5/MG7 (coming a close sencond at the moment) I've almost decided to go for the VSonic GR07. These are available from Frogbeats for £100 at present.

My concern is that having enjoyed the 'mid bass' sound sometimes attributed to both the V-Moda and HD-25, I will find a more neutral iem to sound flat or boring to my unrefined ears.

I listen to many genres, with a focus on full on/progressive psy trance, metal, dubstep, glitch and ambient idm. So I'm looking for an all rounder rather than a bass or mid centric iem - I'd rather have bass 'capable' for deep / big bass sounds as well as mid 'capable' for lush synths / vocals etc.

Can anyone confirm if a GR07 (or possibly the Atrio) would suit my tastes? Or should I maybe look elsewhere?I thought of asking on the GR07 appreciation thread but it's not very objective in there.

Thank you kindly

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Howdy,

I'm looking to upgrade from my current slightly modded V-Moda chrome rouge (not difficult according to various Head-fi comments!).

the V-Moda does sound very boomy and uncontrolled in a quiet environment, however I quite like the sound for using outdoors as the bass cuts through nicely.

I also use Sennheiser HD25-1 for DJ mixing / band rehearsal purposes. I do really enjoy the sound of them, although I'm not really prepared to use them outdoors (for reasons of security and vanity).

I've spent a few weeks on the various comparison threads, and having considered the Triple.Fi 10 and Atrio M5/MG7 (coming a close sencond at the moment) I've almost decided to go for the VSonic GR07. These are available from Frogbeats for £100 at present.

My concern is that having enjoyed the 'mid bass' sound sometimes attributed to both the V-Moda and HD-25, I will find a more neutral iem to sound flat or boring to my unrefined ears.

I listen to many genres, with a focus on full on/progressive psy trance, metal, dubstep, glitch and ambient idm. So I'm looking for an all rounder rather than a bass or mid centric iem - I'd rather have bass 'capable' for deep / big bass sounds as well as mid 'capable' for lush synths / vocals etc.

Can anyone confirm if a GR07 (or possibly the Atrio) would suit my tastes? Or should I maybe look elsewhere?I thought of asking on the GR07 appreciation thread but it's not very objective in there.

Thank you kindly

Most people are amazed by the Atrio bass because there is nearly no mid-bass and yet the low-end is the most textured and deepest in the market! This makes for a really enjoyable experience because the bass is so incredibly realistic and really takes genres like rock, metal, hiphop, trance/progressive to another level. Vocals, piano, guitar, strings all sound magical and life-life.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Most people are amazed by the Atrio bass because there is nearly no mid-bass and yet the low-end is the most textured and deepest in the market! This makes for a really enjoyable experience because the bass is so incredibly realistic and really takes genres like rock, metal, hiphop, trance/progressive to another level. Vocals, piano, guitar, strings all sound magical and life-life.

Thanks navmau, it was your comments/review that led me to consider the Atrio initially.

Have you had a chance to compare to the GR07?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back