IEM to Headphone Transition.
Oct 10, 2010 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZeroAtlas

New Head-Fier
I'm doing it. I'm making the leap. I'm going to be that weird guy at the coffee shop with the huge cans on his face. 
beyersmile.png

I'm looking for suggestions on a pair of cans that would fit with my portable setup. Im currently using IEM with custom molds and ive been very happy with them. they SQ is pleasant and to be honest my ears are not trained well enough to notice a huge difference between great quality headphones. 
Currently Im running a Teclast T51 -> PA2V2 -> UE triplfi. 
All my music is WAV or FLAC and consists of mostly Jazz, Folk, and Blues. 

I love my setup, I dont think I will be upgrading any of these components any time soon so I don't need an amazing pair of cans that cost more than my current set up. I will exclusively be using these on this set up, no home use.

What Im looking for: Soundstage! and obviously something that should fit my music taste. my little IEM arent showing me where the music is coming from. everything is else is great though.

Im currently looking at: grado sr225i or 325i, sennheiser HD25-1 II, AKG 271 MKII

Im completely new to the portable scene (i love my home gear!) but i love it and lurking this community has created my current portable set up (thank you!)

Thoughts? suggestions? 
much obliged. 

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, in general most headphones will give you bigger soundstage vs IEM just by design.  You can cross off the Grado or any model for that matter as you'll go deaf in no time trying to compete with the noise level of a typical cafe being they are open cans.   The ATH-M50 and HF-780 are also good alternatives to add to your closed can list - very nice isolation with much bigger soundstage.  Good luck.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 4
bought the ATH-M50. thank you for the advice. I figured if i dont like them, 100 bucks is not going to break the bank. I can always move them to laptop netflix use =)
thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back