IEM that has clarity with the best bass?
Mar 6, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #91 of 169
Ya the crazy thing about these little philips phones if the stock bass is not enough for you. You can boost the bass even further. I think starting out with a Philips SHE3580 is a good idea.. You will be surprised with how these sound for being so cheap.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #92 of 169
I'm recommending the Panasonic HJE900 (especially with Meelec biflange tips). Great bass, detail, soundstage and the most natural sound I have ever heard in an IEM/headphone. I'm still looking for this kind of sound in a full-size.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #93 of 169
Where can one get the HJE900 at a decent price now? I remember around two years ago it was around $70. Now I don't think I could get a new one for under $200. At $200 I pass. I should have bought it at $70. I am enjoying the Panasonic RPHJE450 that I bought for under $25.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #95 of 169
Mar 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #96 of 169

Quote:
I'm recommending the Panasonic HJE900 (especially with Meelec biflange tips). Great bass, detail, soundstage and the most natural sound I have ever heard in an IEM/headphone. I'm still looking for this kind of sound in a full-size.

The HJE900s despite being fun, are muddy and uneven. Somehow the timbre sounds special but the tonal balance is very uneven. Sometimes I got the feeling that it was emphasizing certain regions in the music over the most important ones in the midrange. It's fun, but I think even the cheap Brookstone Dual Drives are much better with a similar " fun" sound.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #97 of 169

Quote:
I guess I will get alot deeper/better bass if I save up and get a pair of XBA-4s which have 2 drivers to handle the bass, wouldn't I? Or is there not much difference in an IEM?

To be honest, that is bull****. The Sonys can't give rumbling bass or realistic, natural bass. In fact, I find them to be lacking bass.(really clean, less than SE215). The Westone 4s have 2 drivers for bass too but many people fine their bass to be too little. If you want deep bass, dynamic drivers are really the way to go, the XBA-4s won't satisfy you. But well, you should always try them out before buying it. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #98 of 169

Quote:
To be honest, that is bull****. The Sonys can't give rumbling bass or realistic, natural bass. In fact, I find them to be lacking bass.(really clean, less than SE215). The Westone 4s have 2 drivers for bass too but many people fine their bass to be too little. If you want deep bass, dynamic drivers are really the way to go, the XBA-4s won't satisfy you. But well, you should always try them out before buying it. 

Can't really "try them out" because even online on Ebay it is not in stock anywhere in the UK, I have to buy them from a seller in Hong Kong. and I haven't seen a seller from outside the UK that accepts returns without the item being defective.
Which dynamic would you recommend with "rumbling" bass then? Something even more than the SE215s...

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #99 of 169

Quote:
Can't really "try them out" because even online on Ebay it is not in stock anywhere in the UK, I have to buy them from a seller in Hong Kong. and I haven't seen a seller from outside the UK that accepts returns without the item being defective.
Which dynamic would you recommend with "rumbling" bass then? Something even more than the SE215s...

The FXT-90 is actually good for that kind of bass. But best in a universal I have heard so far has to be the Turbine line. Those have big rumbling bass like speakers and the clarity is not suffered as much as many other IEMs with that bass. Albeit, obviously not as good as balanced armatures. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #100 of 169

Quote:
The FXT-90 is actually good for that kind of bass. But best in a universal I have heard so far has to be the Turbine line. Those have big rumbling bass like speakers and the clarity is not suffered as much as many other IEMs with that bass. Albeit, obviously not as good as balanced armatures. 

So basically what you're saying is that even if a balanced armature has 2 drivers to handle the bass, it still wont be as punchy/impactful as a dynamic (in this case, Turbine Pro Gold) but the armature will beat them in terms of clarity, right?

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #101 of 169

Quote:

So basically what you're saying is that even if a balanced armature has 2 drivers to handle the bass, it still wont be as punchy/impactful as a dynamic (in this case, Turbine Pro Gold) but the armature will beat them in terms of clarity, right?

Yes, you may think the 2 driver will be very useful in handling bass, but in reality it's the direct opposite, even IEM with 1 driver sent to handling bass can handle it in greater amounts. Armatures are generally better than Dynamic drivers in clarity. The XBA-4 will have more clarity than the Turbine Pro Gold, but a bass lover will be disappointed for the deep rumbling bass. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #102 of 169

Quote:
Yes, you may think the 2 driver will be very useful in handling bass, but in reality it's the direct opposite, even IEM with 1 driver sent to handling bass can handle it in greater amounts. Armatures are generally better than Dynamic drivers in clarity. The XBA-4 will have more clarity than the Turbine Pro Gold, but a bass lover will be disappointed for the deep rumbling bass. 

Is the bass of Turbine Pro Golds better than FXT90s?
Also, is £104 (with shipping) a fair price for them?

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #103 of 169
Totally disagreed about the HJE900, obviously. I have never heard any muddiness. Perhaps uneven although the timbre is so exceptional you're not really concentrating on anything else except for the instruments and how natural they sound. To this day, I consider the HJEs my best purchase on Head-Fi and I am not even an IEM person. But YMMV and hearing is subjective afterall.
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #104 of 169
I'm with some of the others one here in that the Yamaha EPH-100 would be perfect for what your looking for.  It has deep and very clean bass with outstanding clarity as well as a good sound stage.  Amazon has them for $129 but you can get them from Audio Affair for $115 and at that price there an absolute steal imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back