IEM sub $30 question: Dunu Trident vs. Brainwavz Delta vs. CW31 vs. M9-SL
Nov 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

NuclearZro

New Head-Fier
I've found all of these within the $15-25 range, and really can't figure out what to do. While I'm not really a bass head, I'm worried that since I've only ever had standard headphones I've grown accustomed to overdone lows. My current earbuds are CX200s which have survived longer than any other pair I've ever owned. I honestly love the deeper bass that I couldn't hear on my previous pairs. The downside is they really don't play my music well at all other than electronic/DnB. When listening to most music I just can't seem to get the right sound. It's pretty frustrating when my screamo music somehow sounds bland. I didn't think that was possible 'til I bought these. Muffled. Rock just sounds muffled. 

The music I listen to is really all over the board:

Artists:
White Lies
Framing Hanley
Tool
Mudvayne (not really, but similar stuff)
Swedish House Mafia
Bach

Songs:
Inner Universe - Origa
Icarus - Hopesfall
Last Resort - Papa Roach
Seven Devils - Florence + The Machine
Scheherazade - Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (I want this to sound good. It sounds really meh on the CX200)

I really don't have high standards. I've owned radio shack brand earbuds that I loved (other than the bass being ridiculous), I've just come to the realization that I'm not entirely satisfied when listening to my music. I was at Middlebury College a couple summers ago, listening to my iPod with a pair of Sony headphones the library let me borrow. As I left the library and put my earbuds in, the difference was depressing. I know I can't look for the same performance as over the ear, but I can at least aim for something reasonable, no? Even if I am a cheap person...

Of course any suggestions beyond what I mentioned would be great!

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 2
I had the Meelec CW31 until they broke (unfortunate accident) and then decided to get something different as replacement and got the Dunu Trident. As a non-audiophile, they sound pretty similar to me.

The Trident definitely has better build quality, and perhaps more punch, but both would be great choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back