IEM SQ Battle: Apple Dual-Driver IEMs or the Monster Turbines?
Apr 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a big fan of the NE-7M's but the other low-budget IEM's I keep hearing about on this forum are the ADDIEMS and the Turbines, which people say are better than the NE-7Ms by far.

However, I want to know what people think are better sounding overall.

Battle on!

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 17
I'd say around $100. Preferably $100 or below it, but if I really wanted to, I suppose I could possibly go a bit above, but it's highly unlikely.

I haven't heard them before unfortunately. So I can't make a decision based on that.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 17
As much as my curiosity wants me to buy a pair of ADDIEMS just so I can see what all the fuss is about I have to say I had to vote for the Turbines which I do own, anyway. The reason for me is simple. I like the NE-7M's I had but wanted more and the Turbines delivered in every way possible in regards to MORE. They have a stronger bass while being as controlled or better than the NE's, they have better midrange, they have as good as or better highs, they have better detail, and while they have a smaller sound stage width wise they have more 3 dimensional qualities. Plus they are WAY MORE COMFORTABLE. The only thing I lost was a mic I did not use and the switch which I only used occasionally. Now I do have to admit as a Touch 2G owner the thought of being able to adjust my volume from the ADDIEM switch does intrigue me but I do know the bass is not as strong so...

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 17
Is the 2nd poster asking another question aside from the 1st poster's survey??? I'm confused...

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the 2nd poster asking another question aside from the 1st poster's survey??? I'm confused...

Haha yeah, I got really confused too with that post.

But the Turbines are still around $30 more at the lowest price than the Apple's. Of course, the way I see it, what the Apple doesn't have in sound quality compared to the Turbine is kinda made up for by the functionality, like the volume/play and pause, if you use an iPod obviously.

I think tstarn06 has heard/owned both, I'm not 100% sure though, but maybe he can insert his opinion
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 17
I remember the ADDIEMs being far clearer than the Turbines. I heard the ADDIEM long before I got my Turbine. The Turbine has a lot of bass but lacks clarity. The soundstage/imaging is distorted in more ways than one. I noticed another distortion which might come from mismatched left and right. In one of the songs there is an echo mixed into add depth to the vocals. In everything but the Turbines the echo is coherent with the voice. But on the Turbines I heard the voice and echo separately as if the echo is to the right of the voice.

I am not too happy with the Turbines. They are OK but have too much distortion and the bass muddies up detail. I got them for free so I am converting them to my gym phones.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you like the ne-7m, its hard to imagine you liking the addiems.

so i would say turbines.

Just to be clear, I want to know what people prefer regardless of my current IEM choice. Between those two, ignoring everything else, I'm just wondering what people think is superior overall in terms of SQ.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to be clear, I want to know what people prefer regardless of my current IEM choice. Between those two, ignoring everything else, I'm just wondering what people think is superior overall in terms of SQ.

Like he said. People who prefer the NE-7M style bassy sound signature would prefer the Turbines more. People that prefer clarity would prefer the ADDIEM.

If you want shake your head bass the Turbines will deliver. If you want to get a balanced presentation and enjoy detail the ADDIEMs will.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like he said. People who prefer the NE-7M style bassy sound signature would prefer the Turbines more. People that prefer clarity would prefer the ADDIEM.

If you want shake your head bass the Turbines will deliver. If you want to get a balanced presentation and enjoy detail the ADDIEMs will.

Is there anything that can provide both? I don't need "shake your head bass" I just want the most accurate sound for my money and so far, the NE-7m's have done that for me.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything that can provide both? I don't need "shake your head bass" I just want the most accurate sound for my money and so far, the NE-7m's have done that for me.

Accurate sound?

if comparing the two, then addiems. That is not to say the addiems are accurate sounding. relative comparison...

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha yeah, I got really confused too with that post.

But the Turbines are still around $30 more at the lowest price than the Apple's. Of course, the way I see it, what the Apple doesn't have in sound quality compared to the Turbine is kinda made up for by the functionality, like the volume/play and pause, if you use an iPod obviously.

I think tstarn06 has heard/owned both, I'm not 100% sure though, but maybe he can insert his opinion
biggrin.gif

I also got the Turbines for free, and on balance, thought they were pretty good and gave them an overall positive review (not as rough a review as Oarnura). But I had no use for them and sold them to a happy buyer in DC. I also had the 7s, but one pair broke (the mic thing) and I always felt they were uncomfy and I could not get a good seal with standard tips, so I had to use T400s and that made them muddy. The ADDIEMs could use a tick or two more bass, but what they have is clean and clear, not bloated. I use them with the T4, bass boost on, and I really love the functionality with the Touch 2G. Sometimes with the Touch, I also use the bass booster EQ, which does distort on some tracks but not all.

Anyway, for $35 via ebay, to me, the ADDIEMs are a much better value than the either the Turbines or the 7s. Now, some folks using the E2C tip swear that is when the NuForce phones sound their best, but I didn't want to spend $15 on sleeves for a $50 phone. Oh, I use the Sony Hybrids with the ADDIEMs, which did cost $9, but I also use them with my PFEs and the IE7s (as long as I keep them. I might not). Oh, the Sony Hybrids also mesh well with the Turbines, if you are having any fit problems with them.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 17
I have them both and while I will agree the ADDIEM are very clear and detailed, they are far too thin sounding for me. The Turbines, though they are not fully broken in, sounds very full and fairly clear considering all the bass they produce. The nice thing about the Turbines is while they do have great bass, it is not exaggerated. Only if the music has it, will you hear it, unlike ,say the Bass freqs, which will make everything sound bassy. Really a matter of preference as the sound of the ADDIEMs is really nice. Still, those I gave to my daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back