IEM - Similar to IE8's but with more foward vocals. Any suggestions?
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 31
This was actually my initial plan but from what I've read the IE7 has less treble extension than the IE8.  I'm pretty happy with the treble from the IE8s, anything less seems like I would be losing some detail.  Do you think the treble is pretty similar between the IE8 and IE7?

Maybe I'll give them a try though, refurbs on Amazon are only $100 so it's a far cheaper option that the others I'm considering.

Quote:
erm the obvious answer is the IE7

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
 Do you think the treble is pretty similar between the IE8 and IE7?

I prefer the IE7 over the IE8 myself.

You aren't missing any highs with the IE7, but they can give the impression that they are limited compared to the IE8.  There is no sparkle or anything special about he IE7 highs.  They are very plain.  Unless you are a treblehead or love the sparkly highs, you should be happy with the IE7 highs once your ears adapt.  I know I am happy with them even though I listen to Westone3's as well.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:

Are the UM3X really analytical?  I know they are fairly balanced but I thought I saw people describing them as lush and full.

no, um3x is not analytical.....far from it imo.
but i would say if you like the ie8,you will like um3x.small soundstage,forward mids,warm,a bit more detailed than ie8 and very comfortable.you can also fall asleep on your side with it because it sits flushly with the ear.
i didnt like the um3x personally,but its what you are looking for.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #20 of 31
you're getting way too many responses that are nowhere near accurate. just people throwing in anything from the eq7s to the monster miles davis tribute...
By complementing with a different headphone with intimacy and more forward vocals you are going with something completely different. I would say go with the dba-02 for vocals and the price. But if you really are picky then use the money for a high-end universal and purchase a 1964 dual custom.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:
you're getting way too many responses that are nowhere near accurate. just people throwing in anything from the eq7s to the monster miles davis tribute...
By complementing with a different headphone with intimacy and more forward vocals you are going with something completely different. I would say go with the dba-02 for vocals and the price. But if you really are picky then use the money for a high-end universal and purchase a 1964 dual custom.

So you surely have heard all of these phones to judge people's posts as inaccurate? And according to your superior experience the DBA-02 are more mid forward than the e-Q7?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 31
 One other suggestion: The ATH-CK100
 I have only demoed these a little bit, but from what I remember they had beautifully forward mids, as well as a clear and very distinct sound. I am so curious about this in fact, I am thinking about giving them another try!
  They are known for being picky with sources, but also very potentially rewarding!

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 31
You could try out the MDs or even the radius, cheaper option. If your looking for similar sound signature with ie8, i don't really think armature drivers can provide you with this need as the bass impact on BAs are entirely different from dynamics. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 31
I wonder if people read the initial comment on a thread before posting.

The OP says he likes his IE8s but he wants something else with "more foward vocals and a more intimate soundstage" ... so in other words not something with the same sound signature as the IE8s.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #25 of 31
Agreed. "More forward vocals" and "intimate soundstage" sound pretty much like BA to me... :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #26 of 31

I think what I'm looking for is the warmest BA IEM that has ergonomics similar to the IE8 (shallow fit, doesn't stick out, good cable).  That's probably the most concise, least confusing way to put it.

Sorry for all the confusion I've caused.  Naming a thread "Similar to IE8s" and then asking for something that doesn't sound too much like the IE8 probably wasn't the way to go 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Agreed. "More forward vocals" and "intimate soundstage" sound pretty much like BA to me... :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 31
I hate to say it but I can't help keep thinking the Final Audio FI-BA-SS sounds exactly like what you are looking forward. A warm BA (technically MA) with good but somewhat shallow fit (vented), warm signature, beautiful mids, and still has good bass and treble extension! Like a MUCH more aggressive, exciting SE530.
   Just don't look at the price!
bigsmile_face.gif

Haven't tried them but the cheaper A1 and SB models might be good for you then...

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #28 of 31
The A1 actually might be a good bet for you, or the EQ-5. I don't think you'll get exactly the same bass presentation with them (the A1's move quite a bit of air but still don't have that 100% dynamic driver feeling) but are still surprisingly bassy, and the vocals are more forward, clarity is sweet and crystal. I'm not sure about a direct comparison to the IE8; I'm mostly comparing to the DDM which is as I understand it has a little less mid-bass bloat than the IE8 but less treble sparkle. 

The cable on the A1's is very flexible indeed (unless you live in a place with sub zero weather, which unfortunately I don't so I can't report on this) and extremely soft, so microphonics are virtually nil. I can't say for sure how durable the cable is in the long term though.

Either that or, I'd say wait for the next version of the DDM's.

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #29 of 31

Quote:
Quote:

So you surely have heard all of these phones to judge people's posts as inaccurate? And according to your superior experience the DBA-02 are more mid forward than the e-Q7?
rolleyes.gif

Actually I have heard all of those. Except the moving armatures and the eq-7. 
Please don't think I meant anything personal and I don't really appreciate your comment "dripping" with sarcasm.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #30 of 31
Hmm, I never found the vocals on IE8 to be recessed, just not quite as defined and detailed as on some other great IEMs. If you want better quality vocals than IE8, you have a few options. Out of the ones I heard, I recommend SM3, e-Q7, SE530, UM3X and RE252 in no particular order. My personal favorites however are SE530 and RE252 and I don't really like UM3X much at all - I find it too forward and analytical overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back