IEM: Replacement for Ety ER4?
Jun 22, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #16 of 35
for me the triple.fi's are the ultimate iem. full, warm and expanded sound with amazing highs and extremely detailed bass is just peeeerfect : ) ! UE always have had a porblem with fit, but all you need to do is get the new black shure foams, remove the middle plastic part and voila! you got a comfy and nice fit !

been recomending these on many IEM threads and also regarding the fullsize cans, since I think the detail on these make them shine against almost anything..!

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #17 of 35
Whatever you choose, I think it's time to make a decision soon. When the new wave of IEMs come out before Christmas then older gen will lose much of its resale value (look at what happened to the Shure E.c series), so I think it's a good time to let them go if you're going to.

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 35
I know that when it comes time for me to replace my E4Ps the only direction I'll be going is a custom of some type. I'm hoping by the end of the year Westone might offer a custom 3 and that maybe there will be a few other competitors in the sub $500 custom range (not that the 3's would be in that range, although I'm hopeful).

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #19 of 35
Umkay, I AM an addict.

Ordered the Etys the other day along with another dock-mini stereo cable and a P to S adapter cable (all were in the same bag that the lost Etys were in). The Supermini is at the house of Xin getting an update. Thought I was allllllll set.

Then, I started reading the threads about the Atrios M5. Thought about it. Thought about whether or not I might be missing out on a different sound, one that might be be better for the type of music I mainly listen to... but mainly I just wanted to try them.

Couldn't stand it... So, I JUST submitted a bid for the Atrios M5.
icon10.gif

I AM AN ADDICT! Or, maybe not.
wink.gif

http://www.shirtaday.com/index.php

Thanks for the help all! Once again, Head-Fi has helped empty my already meager wallet.

Bruce
Bruce

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #21 of 35
Would you guys say that Ety's:IEMs::Grados:Cans?

I'm seriously considering getting some ER4Ps... I also saw ER4Ss... Difference?

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 35
My Atrios just came in, I'm burning them in right now. My impression is that they're a little too bassy for me, although the sound doesn't put me off like most bassy phones do. The M5 thread also has a lot of people who attest to those phones requiring burn-in, so I'm giving that a shot and will put up a real comparison with my Shure SE310 and Ety ER-4P sometime this weekend or early next week.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #23 of 35
Psyche... sort of, but not exactly... at least, not to my ears.

Grado (to my ears) sound is very up front, aggressive, fun. That sonic character is expressed differently in different Grado phones. I owned the 125s for a while (2 years or so) and enjoyed them a great deal, especially when paired with a nice tube amp. Have listened to and enjoyed a wide variety of Grado cans. Singlepower amps or Carlo modded Melos + upper end Grado = very, very nice combo to my ears for rock, metal, progressive, jazz.
rs1smile.gif

However, the difference for me between those and the Etys is quite noticeable. The ER4 are clean and detailed... everything that's in the recording comes out (good and bad). I'd describe the sound as neutral... meaning that you get less noticeable color or character from the headphone itself compared to the Grado sound. That difference isn't good or bad in and of itself, it's just different. One may sound better to you than the other.

While the general character of Grado is generally described as being up front, the way I would describe the Ety sound is pure detail (from the ER4s anyway... I didn't like the sound from the regular ER6...). If you are a detail freak, you'll probably enjoy the Ety sound.

BTW: the difference between the ER4P and S is simply impedance. The S version has an additional 75 ohms added to it. The cables are the same, the drivers are the same, just the ohms are different. And, remarkably, the sonic character is different! To me, it seems as if the entire sonic spectrum gets shifted slightly and extended... the P have a bit more mid-bass and the highs have slightly less sparkle and extension. Add the addition impedance (and drive them appropriately) and the sonic spectrum opens up just a bit wider. It's a remarkable thing to experience...plug an adapter into your ER4P and suddenly the sound changes... to my ears, for the better. That difference is one of the reasons that I went for the ER4P again. Can easily buy an adapter for $25 - $50 (or make one yourself for even less!) that in essence gives you another set of terrific headphones for a very modest price.

Good luck!!!

BTW: Just got notice that road dog accepted my bid ($130) for the M5s.
icon10.gif

Bruce

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #24 of 35
Trager: WOW! I have headphone envy.
wink.gif

Will look forward to hearing your impressions and comparisons between the ER4, SE310, LiveWires and M5s.

Bruce

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by frekvens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for me the triple.fi's are the ultimate iem. full, warm and expanded sound with amazing highs and extremely detailed bass is just peeeerfect : ) ! UE always have had a porblem with fit, but all you need to do is get the new black shure foams, remove the middle plastic part and voila! you got a comfy and nice fit !

been recomending these on many IEM threads and also regarding the fullsize cans, since I think the detail on these make them shine against almost anything..!

First things first: Skål and Happy Midsummers Day/Eve!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I'm wondering about the procedure for removing the inner tube of the Shure olives (sorry for the thread jack!). Is it easily done? I have like 3 pairs left since I purchased a couple for my ER4P/S. They're such a great fit and so easy to remove/insert that I'd love to have them for the triple.fi I have on (pre-)order. (From cdon.com so it'll be another three weeks, at least...)

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Atrios just came in, I'm burning them in right now. My impression is that they're a little too bassy for me, although the sound doesn't put me off like most bassy phones do. The M5 thread also has a lot of people who attest to those phones requiring burn-in, so I'm giving that a shot and will put up a real comparison with my Shure SE310 and Ety ER-4P sometime this weekend or early next week.

I am looking forward to hearing about this. Particularly with respect to accuracy of various instruments, which I find is the biggest problem with Shure's entry to the range - SE210s. Though more bass impact was present, the mids were boomy, recognized by the hollow piano reproduction.

If the atrios can some how have the low end and keep the accuracy, then I would be sold! the 4p's are a definite step in the right direction v. the 6's that I had, but I still finding myself straining to hear a bass strummin' away in certain recordings.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 35
Understand completely. I A/B tested the Etys and the Atrio and while I was rooting for the Etys, I just kept thinking, "Boy, those M5s sound fine. I like the sound more than the Etys." It was very unexpected, because I had been very happy with the ER4P sound. In the end, I just couldn't justify keeping them both, due to the cost. Do I regret the decision to sell the Etys? On occasion, I wish I had them to A/B test with the M5s again. I still have a hard time believing what happened. But the other day, I listened to the M5s during a full day of poker in AC and the train ride home, and they sounded so very sweet. And that was unamped. Living with the decision to sell the Etys hasn't been too tough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDA_ABAT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umkay, I AM an addict.

Ordered the Etys the other day along with another dock-mini stereo cable and a P to S adapter cable (all were in the same bag that the lost Etys were in). The Supermini is at the house of Xin getting an update. Thought I was allllllll set.

Then, I started reading the threads about the Atrios M5. Thought about it. Thought about whether or not I might be missing out on a different sound, one that might be be better for the type of music I mainly listen to... but mainly I just wanted to try them.

Couldn't stand it... So, I JUST submitted a bid for the Atrios M5.
icon10.gif

I AM AN ADDICT! Or, maybe not.
wink.gif

http://www.shirtaday.com/index.php

Thanks for the help all! Once again, Head-Fi has helped empty my already meager wallet.

Bruce
Bruce

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 35
I just received my E500s and have spent about an hour trying the different ear pieces and tweaking the eq with Rockbox. All I can say is that they are AMAZING!! I love my MS-1s, but the E500s are just a whole different level. Yes, there is a slight roll-off on the highs, but no problem with putting what I wanted with a little eq tweak. The entire sound spectrum is wonderful and I'm saying this with all my music at 192 cbr (soon to be 240vbr for listenening). I'm no serious audiophile like a lot of these members, but I will tell you that I am completely blown away by the Shure E500. Just my 2 cents.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphoner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use EQ to restore the highs on the E530. I did and I love the sound.

X2!!! If you do this, the E500's are Amazing! I absolutely love them.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJingles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my E500s and have spent about an hour trying the different ear pieces and tweaking the eq with Rockbox. All I can say is that they are AMAZING!! I love my MS-1s, but the E500s are just a whole different level. Yes, there is a slight roll-off on the highs, but no problem with putting what I wanted with a little eq tweak. The entire sound spectrum is wonderful and I'm saying this with all my music at 192 cbr (soon to be 240vbr for listenening). I'm no serious audiophile like a lot of these members, but I will tell you that I am completely blown away by the Shure E500. Just my 2 cents.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back