IEM: Replacement for Ety ER4?
Jun 19, 2007 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Would appreciate suggestions from folks here for IEMs to possibly replace Etymotic ER4P. I've been using the Etys for the past ~ 5 years and LOVE them! They ended (OK, how about tamed?) the case of upgraditis that I'd had. Unfortunately, they've gone missing. Am hoping that they will turn up, but am already feeling nervous and itchy after two days without them.
blink.gif

Since I've been happily listening for the past several years, I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest on IEMs. Seems like the market has exploded! What's the verdict?? I'd be perfectly happy getting another set of Etys... just would appreciate feedback from others about the strengths and weaknesses of the other options.

Use: primarily for the portable rig... iPod + SuperMini (with additional resistance to make them ER4S) connected via Sik DIN. Home use is with MAD Ear + and Philips 963. Type of music is generally rock, metal, progressive, jazz, some classical.

I enjoy the Etys sound... LOVE the detail they provide. The only thing that I don't totally enjoy about them is the imaging... they provide an in-your-head experience rather than positioning you in the concert hall.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 35
I'd wait for Westone 3s to come out, which should be shortly Also an Ety 4p user and have been told the shure 500s won't please, but to wait for these new Westones, particularly if you're running amped

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 35
E530.

I used ER-4P for a year, went to E530 and could never go back. That bigger, fuller(soundstage) more dynamic sound is like wearing full size headphones. It took me about 10 minutes to get over the rolled off upper high end but the upper mids are so pristine overall detail still really comes through. Incredibly non-fatiguing.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd wait for Westone 3s to come out, which should be shortly Also an Ety 4p user and have been told the shure 500s won't please, but to wait for these new Westones, particularly if you're running amped

Good advice. The Shures I've heard have a laid back sound in comparison which may or may not be your taste. I think the Westone 3s are supposed to be the opposite. At least give it some time to see what people think when they start shipping.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 35
As a personal devotee to the Etymotic house sound, I don't think the SE530 would be your best bet. IMHO the ER4 was a lot snappier and much more crisp than the E500 in particular; it was like celery versus sliced apples. Celery (the ER4) just gives the far crisper snap. I also really enjoy treble reproduction, and the Shures pretty much failed me on that aspect. You should look into the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10, or if you want to side-grade, check out the iM716 for less. I haven't heard the Westone 3 so I can't comment, but you could look into that (if it's anything like the UM2 though, don't).

But in my experience, nothing is quite as Etymotic as Etymotic (and their respective derivatives). By this I mean nothing's quite as good.
etysmile.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 35
Just my POV, but I recently sold my Etys after completing extensive A/B listening against the Atrio M5s. I find the Atrios, using foam tips (Comply or Shure olives) a much more pleasing sound, mainly due to the bass punch the M5s offer. I really thought the Etys were the end of my IEM search, as you did, but I had an old pair of EM3s and figured I would give FutureSonics another shot after reading some early positive reviews of the M5s. I also had custom sleeves for the EM3s, so I figured why not try them. Ironically, the custom sleeves, while they do work with the M5s, dilute the sound. So I use foamies.

I had bought the FS1s, and but didn't like them and returned them. But the M5s are it for me. I kept switching between them and Etys, and every time, the vote was for the M5s. Amped, unamped, didn't matter. Now I don't have a fancy amp, just a PA2v@ and a Penguin, and I know I read the Etys shine with a more pricey amp. But bottom line, the test for me was will the M5 high-end hold up. It does in my view. And the overall sound is smoother, thicker and more suitable for long-term listening (which is how I use IEMs, on planes, trains, etc,). At home, I use SR80s unless the TV is on to Grey's Anatomy or Lost. Just my two cents. You can get the M5s for $130 on ebay. Just last night, on a two-hour train ride, I listened to the M5s and didn't miss the Etys one bit. Plenty of iso, and a wonderful sound.

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 35
For those of you who are wierd like I am and dislike strong bass. Ety is for you. Detail is definitely the most important aspect for me now after getting my er6i's. I can't even imagine how great 4's sound like. For now I'm content for a few more years. Theres no denying it though... after using IEM's you just can't go back to anything else. I remember trying on a roomates high quality Sennheisers, while they sounded nice, just couldn't compare in detail and I couldn't help but to find it dissapointing to lose what I essentially consider part of the music.

Anyway thats my thoughts.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 35
Well, the headphones have still not turned up. I started getting really antsy. After the feedback from folks here (thanks!) and reading reviews of the different headphones suggested, and consulting with my wallet, I went for the ER4P again. I know and love these headphones. I don't know the others. I know these are comfy in my noggin. I know they mate well with the SuperMini and Ear +. I know they work well for me straight out of the iPod.

Should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Thanks!
Bruce

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E530.

I used ER-4P for a year, went to E530 and could never go back. That bigger, fuller(soundstage) more dynamic sound is like wearing full size headphones. It took me about 10 minutes to get over the rolled off upper high end but the upper mids are so pristine overall detail still really comes through. Incredibly non-fatiguing.

Use EQ to restore the highs on the E530. I did and I love the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back