IEM recommendations - 200€ budget
Mar 8, 2023 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pathways

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I need some help chosing the right IEM for my use case. I mostly listen to electronic music, some rap and some classic rock/metal. I'll also use them for voice calls and other voice related content (podcasts, narrated videos). I'll generally wear them for very long periods of time so condensation can be an issue.

I recently bought the SHUOER S12 and while they are amazing for listening to electronic music (or rather music in general), imo they are pretty bad when it comes to vocals/voices in general. I'm not sure if that's just how planar IEM's sound or if it's a sealing issue (already ordered some bigger tips, so will find out soon), but voices just sound "distant" and weak. It just feels like the mids get drowned out by everything else. Is this an issue on my end or just how the S12/planar timbre sounds?

I currently use the KZ ZSX, but they are pretty bad in comparison to the S12 especially when it comes to soundstage and actual detail. The only upside of these are that they sound more "balanced" and I can actually hear the mids and vocals very clearly, but the S12 are miles ahead when listening to music (obviously).

I'm currently considering/thinking about the following:

1. Truthear Hexa
They seem to be the "king" in that price range and I'd like to give them a try. I've read that the bass can be somewhat lacking though so I'm not sure wether or not I'll enjoy them while listening to electronic music. They are also pretty low-priced, but I don't mind using up all of my budget so I can probably get something better?

2. Dunu Kima
Same as the Hexa, while slightly better on a technical level? Not sure if they are actually any better than the Hexa.

3. Ikko OH10
V-Shaped might be what I'm looking for, but I've read that the mids are a bit weak so I assume they have the same weakness as the S12; not so great for vocal content with recessed and "distant" mids? Other than that they seem to be very good.

4. Moondrop Kato
Somewhat lacking low ends but pretty good overall. I've read that some people seem to have condensation issues so probably not the best choice for me.

5. Tripowin x HBB Olina SE
They get recommended quite a lot and I do like what I've read about them, but the cloth filter is a dealbreaker to me. I can only imagine how bad the condensation will be after I wear them for 10 hours.

There are dozens of other options and I've read many reviews over the past few days so I'm really overwhelmed in general. I'd apprecieate any suggestions/input to help me figure out what's best for my use case. Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 9
Since you already have a KZ ZSX and Shuoer S12, check out the JVC HA-FW01 for a smoother wooden all-rounder departure from those two workhorse IEMs with lusher mids/vocals to boot.

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Hey everyone,

I need some help chosing the right IEM for my use case. I mostly listen to electronic music, some rap and some classic rock/metal. I'll also use them for voice calls and other voice related content (podcasts, narrated videos). I'll generally wear them for very long periods of time so condensation can be an issue.

I recently bought the SHUOER S12 and while they are amazing for listening to electronic music (or rather music in general), imo they are pretty bad when it comes to vocals/voices in general. I'm not sure if that's just how planar IEM's sound or if it's a sealing issue (already ordered some bigger tips, so will find out soon), but voices just sound "distant" and weak. It just feels like the mids get drowned out by everything else. Is this an issue on my end or just how the S12/planar timbre sounds?

I currently use the KZ ZSX, but they are pretty bad in comparison to the S12 especially when it comes to soundstage and actual detail. The only upside of these are that they sound more "balanced" and I can actually hear the mids and vocals very clearly, but the S12 are miles ahead when listening to music (obviously).

I'm currently considering/thinking about the following:

1. Truthear Hexa
They seem to be the "king" in that price range and I'd like to give them a try. I've read that the bass can be somewhat lacking though so I'm not sure wether or not I'll enjoy them while listening to electronic music. They are also pretty low-priced, but I don't mind using up all of my budget so I can probably get something better?

2. Dunu Kima
Same as the Hexa, while slightly better on a technical level? Not sure if they are actually any better than the Hexa.

3. Ikko OH10
V-Shaped might be what I'm looking for, but I've read that the mids are a bit weak so I assume they have the same weakness as the S12; not so great for vocal content with recessed and "distant" mids? Other than that they seem to be very good.

4. Moondrop Kato
Somewhat lacking low ends but pretty good overall. I've read that some people seem to have condensation issues so probably not the best choice for me.

5. Tripowin x HBB Olina SE
They get recommended quite a lot and I do like what I've read about them, but the cloth filter is a dealbreaker to me. I can only imagine how bad the condensation will be after I wear them for 10 hours.

There are dozens of other options and I've read many reviews over the past few days so I'm really overwhelmed in general. I'd apprecieate any suggestions/input to help me figure out what's best for my use case. Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

If you find vocals lacking on the S12, it is probably cause of the V shaped signature which depresses the midrange. Nothing much can be done there unless you wanna play with EQ. You might have to find a set that has not so depressed mids.

Hexa is neutral with a subbass boost. It is way less technical than the S12, but isn't as fatiguing and has better timbre. Hexa has midbass scoop, so it doesn't fare well for bass forward music genres, but the midrange is thicker than the S12.

Kima is a harmanish very safely tuned IEM. Good timbre, technically below average. It is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none IEM. Honestly the tripowin olina SE and other single DDs might do better.

Ikko OH10 is a V shaped set with good bass quantity and soundstage. Fun sounding. Can be hot in the upper mids/lower treble. It is a downgrade in technicalities to the S12, plus it is also V shaped, so you won't be addressing your vocal issues on the S12.

Kato follows moondrop's VSDF curve. Pretty good technicalities and timbre, an upgrade to the KIMA but more expensive. Vocals should be better than the S12, but S12 wins in technicalities.

Tripowin Olina SE is harmanish, and is a better set than the KIMA in technicalities, though it does suffer from condensation issues unfortunately.

Do you have a rough budget in mind?

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 9
If you find vocals lacking on the S12, it is probably cause of the V shaped signature which depresses the midrange. Nothing much can be done there unless you wanna play with EQ. You might have to find a set that has not so depressed mids.
I've already played around with an EQ and while it does improve things, it also changes the overall sound of them too much for my liking.
I'm not sure if I dislike V shaped signatures in general, but you are right that I have to find a set with less depressed mids. Still debating wether or not I should return the S12; they sound pretty amazing in the right genre, I just don't enjoy them as a daily driver for anything but music.

Hexa is neutral with a subbass boost. It is way less technical than the S12, but isn't as fatiguing and has better timbre. Hexa has midbass scoop, so it doesn't fare well for bass forward music genres, but the midrange is thicker than the S12.

Kima is a harmanish very safely tuned IEM. Good timbre, technically below average. It is kind of a jack of all trades, master of none IEM. Honestly the tripowin olina SE and other single DDs might do better.

Ikko OH10 is a V shaped set with good bass quantity and soundstage. Fun sounding. Can be hot in the upper mids/lower treble. It is a downgrade in technicalities to the S12, plus it is also V shaped, so you won't be addressing your vocal issues on the S12.

Kato follows moondrop's VSDF curve. Pretty good technicalities and timbre, an upgrade to the KIMA but more expensive. Vocals should be better than the S12, but S12 wins in technicalities.

Tripowin Olina SE is harmanish, and is a better set than the KIMA in technicalities, though it does suffer from condensation issues unfortunately.

Do you have a rough budget in mind?
Thanks for your insight, this is very helpful. According to your describtion I probably wont enjoy either the Hexa or the Kima.
I've heard very good things about the OH10 and I was pretty close to ordering them over the S12, but it seems like they are just too similiar to the S12 (with different pros/cons). Kato seems more up my alley, can you tell me more about them compared to the S12 (seeing that you own both)? Would you say they are worth the price or are there "better" alternatives?

My budget is around 200€. Something I should note is that I don't own a proper DAC so I'd use them plugged directly into my mainboard.
I don't know if it's worth getting a DAC for the IEM's I'm considering, so I'd appreciate any input in that regard.

Mar 10, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for your insight, this is very helpful. According to your describtion I probably wont enjoy either the Hexa or the Kima.
I've heard very good things about the OH10 and I was pretty close to ordering them over the S12, but it seems like they are just too similiar to the S12 (with different pros/cons). Kato seems more up my alley, can you tell me more about them compared to the S12 (seeing that you own both)? Would you say they are worth the price or are there "better" alternatives?

My budget is around 200€. Something I should note is that I don't own a proper DAC so I'd use them plugged directly into my mainboard.
I don't know if it's worth getting a DAC for the IEM's I'm considering, so I'd appreciate any input in that regard.

KATO (single DD) has better midrange than the S12 (planar), but the former isn't as technical, with inferior micro-details, soundstage, imaging and instrument separation. The KATO has a more natural timbre though.

The KATO is one of the benchmark $100ish single DD sets, but there are arguably other single DD with better price-to-performance ratio, eg Tripowin Olina SE, Tanchjim Hana 2021.

The DAC of some mainboards in laptops/desktops can be noisy or you may get a hiss with sensitive IEMs. Otherwise, it should be okay. Unless you need an amp component for harder to drive gear (eg transducers with low sensitivity/high impedance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back