IEM Recommendation: Replacement for Radius HP-TWF11 (DDM)
Aug 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

OutTheOther

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations for IEMs to replace my rapidly dying Radius HP-TWF11s (known as DDMs to some). I absolutely love the sound signature of them, but after ~3 years of constant use they're literally starting to fall apart.

I listen mostly to progressive/technical metal, so want something with decent bass, but nothing too muddy that hides the technical details (I'm no bass head, but a flat response leaves metal sounding quite tinny and dull without the strongish bass to balance things out). I want something fairly fun and warm, ideally with a wide sound stage, and obviously with the aforementioned bass. As I said, the Radius' are pretty ideal in terms of the sound I'm after.

I've currently been looking at the Atrios M5 (MG7) and VSonic GR07 Bass Edition. The other option is to just buy a new set of Radius', but they appear to have become quite hard to track down and I also figure now is a good chance to see if there's something even better around.

Budget is ~$150, but I could stretch it up a bit if something was really worth it.

Any suggestions?

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Do you mind lacking isolation? If not, EX600 is also a great choice. It has one of best bass I've heard under $200. Also very comfortable(most comfortable iem I've heard) and durable.

Isolation is pretty far down my list (any IEM is going to be "good enough" for my needs), so that's fine. I'll definitely add the EX600 to my list. Don't suppose you've used the Radius DDM? Know what the EX600 is like in direct comparison?

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Isolation is pretty far down my list (any IEM is going to be "good enough" for my needs), so that's fine. I'll definitely add the EX600 to my list. Don't suppose you've used the Radius DDM? Know what the EX600 is like in direct comparison?

Nah I haven't used Radius DDM. I just based my recommendation on your sound preference.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 11
The GR07BE is a good choice. If you can, try auditioning the T-Peos H-100. They have good bass and are better rated than the Atrios by ClieOS. 

• TPeos H-100 is rated 9th in his list,
  • The Atrios is rated 29th.

Maybe you can take that into consideration.You will like it if you like a V shaped signature. I bought it and then realized I didn't like the V shaped signature. It's built quality is very good and it comes with a lot of accessories too.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 11
I bought the H-100 from lendmeyourears too. The package didn't include the airline adaptor and the carabiner. They apologised and is on the way now. They also have the GR07BE and GR06 sold as a bundle for a good price. Probably I should have got that.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 11
Just a note......If you want to get them from lendmeyourears, get them from their ebay site. They are priced cheaper there than their own site (odd). I wasn't aware of it until I bought mine.

EDIT:

I just checked their ebay site but now it is listed at US$179.00.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Just thought I'd update this post in case any other people come stumbling across it in the future looking for DDM replacements/upgrades...

I ended up purchasing the VSonic GR07 Bass Editions and, although not identical signature-wise, are a worthy replacement.

Some observations on the GR07BE (as compared directly to the DDM):
 - They're a little more technical and detailed, but as a result not quite as warm/laid back (but not in any way extreme, just the DDM is very relaxed)
 - There's not quite as much fullness/extension in the bass end, but what is there is very clear/detailed (again, they're far from a flat sound signature and bass is still rich & very nice, just that this was the DDM's key strength)
 - Similar levels of separation and sound stage
 - In my ears at least, they're a lot more sensitive to positioning, especially initially until you find the right fit/position. There are 15(!) different ear buds of different sizes/materials/shapes included and the angle of the nozzles can be adjusted meaning you need to do quite a bit of experimentation to get the best sound. The DDMs I could just shove in my ears and they were comfortable and consistent, whereas the GR07BE can sound a little flat if they're not positioned quite right. After a month or so of use, this is no longer really an issue now that I've got used to positioning them.
 - People talk about them needing burn the GR07BE in quite a bit and it definitely seems to improve the overall balance, filling out the bass and taming the little bit of initial sibilance

In summary, I loved my DDMs (literally to death), but am very happy with the GR07BE as a replacement/upgrade. They trade a little of the warmth & "fun" for a touch more detail & clarity, making them a different beast, but still very satisfying to listen to.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 11
I would think the SQ will improve further because Vsonic recommends an extensive burn-in period. I've the same problem with H-100. The perfect fit is hard to get and if it is not perfect, the SQ is terrible.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 11
  I would think the SQ will improve further because Vsonic recommends an extensive burn-in period. I've the same problem with H-100. The perfect fit is hard to get and if it is not perfect, the SQ is terrible.

Yeah, before having these, I was a bit dubious of the need for burn-in in general, but even to my relatively untrained ears, the sound has improved vastly since that first listen. Initially they were surprisingly weak in the bass (especially given the "bass edition" moniker) and had a fair bit of sibilance/forwardness in the high end. They now have a fuller/richer bass and more balanced top end making for a very nice sound overall... not that I'd complain if they continue to improve :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back