IEM for musician
Jan 19, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oneass

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

first post here, and I am already sorry about my wallet
biggrin.gif
!
I'm a semi-professional guitarist, and I've always had the usual monitor wedges on stage, but now I want try in ear monitoring. Can anyone point me in the right direction for IEMs to use on stage? Budget is around 200 euro, but I'm willing to stretch it a bit if it's really worth it...

BTW, I live in Belgium (my native language is Dutch), so off course it has to be available around here...
rolleyes.gif

I've already done some research, and a few contenders seem to be the SE310, SCL4, super.fi 5pro, C700, ... but I haven't found much info related to usage as a musician on stage.

thanks for your time!
Wannes (aka OneAss aka 1s
tongue.gif
)

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 11
All of those you listed can be used on stage, but most likely you will want to pair them with a wireless receiver (Check out Shure webite, profesional section). Since you are a musician, I will also recommend a pair LiveWires Custom IEM.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 11
I am an amateur musican and own a set of livewires and I could not be any happier. I did have some fitment issues as you do with any custom iem but I do believe the livewires are a perfect fit for a musician. One of my montiors is actually currently being worked on but the livewire team offers excellent customer service. Being a custom mold they do fit perfectly in your ear and the livewires produce a revealing, detailed, and flat sound which is great for musicians. There are a number of professional musicians who use liveswires and are extremely happy with them. I believe some of them are listed on their website.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 11
I play almost 2weekends a month for churhc services and the Livewires are definitely the best IEMs you can get for the price you pay. They are custom molded (a great plus for musicians as they isolate the best) and they're flat so you get accurate sound, and they've replaceable cables so no worries about snagging. And John is a great guy to deal with!

I monitor through a Shure PSM700 transmitter and receiver and the AVIOM system.

Jan 19, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks, everyone.
3 answers, and all three recommending the LiveWires! Must be good then... price is right, too!
But I'd have to send my ear impressions the US, plus I have no idea how much custom duties will be. And if they don't fit right, I'd have to send 'em back, and probably have to pay shipping and duties AGAIN...

I will be using a wireless system, by the way (from LD-systems).

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I have no idea how much custom duties will be. And if they don't fit right, I'd have to send 'em back, and probably have to pay shipping and duties AGAIN...

Send them an e-mail before you purchase and ask if they would be willing to undervalue them on the package for shipping and import duty purposes. It’s worked for me with products ordered from other countries.

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 11
In the worst case scenario, I'd have to pay 20% custom duties, so total 300 dollar. Including shipping to and from the US, grand total would be 250. Euro, that is.
So, that's slightly above my budget, but I'll think about it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send them an e-mail before you purchase and ask if they would be willing to undervalue them on the package for shipping and import duty purposes. It’s worked for me with products ordered from other countries.

I could do that... However, read this:
Quote:

You should be aware that although the foreign sender may have completed the customs declaration form on the parcel you are regarded (in law) as the importer of the goods and responsible for the information on the declaration, and any customs charges that may be due. This means that if you purchase goods from these suppliers and the declaration is found to be false or misleading you may be liable to financial penalties or criminal prosecution. Furthermore the goods themselves will be liable to forfeiture.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
……I could do that... However, read this:

Quote:

You should be aware that although the foreign sender may have completed the customs declaration form on the parcel you are regarded (in law) as the importer of the goods and responsible for the information on the declaration, and any customs charges that may be due. This means that if you purchase goods from these suppliers and the declaration is found to be false or misleading you may be liable to financial penalties or criminal prosecution. Furthermore the goods themselves will be liable to forfeiture.

You are correct, the laws are the same here. Although, I’ve received various things through the mail like that and delivered right to the front door. My guess is that law enforcement is more focused on drug smugglers or terrorism vs checking to see if you cheated import duties for $25.00

Jan 21, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 11
Yes, I guess you're right about that... so now I'm also considering the LiveWires (and FreQs). It doesn't get easier...
tongue.gif

At first I was leaning towards the super.fi, but maybe they're a bit too 'fun' sounding; I really want neutral IEMs (well, as neutral as possible given the budget, off course
wink.gif
)

Any idea which sub-200 euro (about 150 dollar, I suppose) IEM is the most neutral?

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by al217739 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one time customs asked me for a reciept for my ebay purchase!

i 'cough' 'edited it' 'cough' using word

Are you referring to 'word' being the software? If not, I don't understand your post...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back