IEM for metal music and hard rock - ultimate solution
Jul 1, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,921 of 2,105
Can anyone recommend a sub-600$ IEM that works great with metal and rock? Main constraint is that it should be bullet-style/cable down (not around the ear).

I had a Sony N3 and loved it, unfortunately I managed to lose it, don't ask me why. Only negative point was that despite trying several tip sizes, the left one always would come loose.

It would be used mainly while walking commuting, not while sitting at desk, so probably best if cable is MMCX and can be replaced (had to do that with the N3 because of microphones noise with stock cable).

Current ones I am looking at are from Final (but lots of mixed reviews), JVC (same and also seem heavy) and Etymotics ER series. Etymotics seem the most interesting sound-wise but not sure they are great for walking and not sure stock cable can really be replaced?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,922 of 2,105
Can anyone recommend a sub-600$ IEM that works great with metal and rock? Main constraint is that it should be bullet-style/cable down (not around the ear).

I had a Sony N3 and loved it, unfortunately I managed to lose it, don't ask me why. Only negative point was that despite trying several tip sizes, the left one always would come loose.

It would be used mainly while walking commuting, not while sitting at desk, so probably best if cable is MMCX and can be replaced (had to do that with the N3 because of microphones noise with stock cable).

Current ones I am looking at are from Final (but lots of mixed reviews), JVC (same and also seem heavy) and Etymotics ER series. Etymotics seem the most interesting sound-wise but not sure they are great for walking and not sure stock cable can really be replaced?

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Maybe you can find something here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-bullet-cable-down-iem-database-140-update.964041/
Sony N3 is, what I saw, more tuned mild v (my bad -not Harman), Etymotics are certainly very good, but bass tuning is completely different. And there is the deep insertion of the eartips. Why not again the N3? Maybe the Campfire atlas used, but never heard it ... Not bullet style but extremely lightweight, and you won't feel the original cable cause so thin, is the Beyerdynamics Xelento Remote (1st gen) used. I own this, it just needs EQ. -3db Lowshelf from 250 and +2db Highshelf from 10k- very nice for metal and everything else imo. Used marked sub 500, I'm from Europe, so only paid 320 Euro. Hope you will find a good one!!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,925 of 2,105
Maybe you can find something here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-bullet-cable-down-iem-database-140-update.964041/
Sony N3 is, what I saw, more tuned mild v (my bad -not Harman), Etymotics are certainly very good, but bass tuning is completely different. And there is the deep insertion of the eartips. Why not again the N3? Maybe the Campfire atlas used, but never heard it ... Not bullet style but extremely lightweight, and you won't feel the original cable cause so thin, is the Beyerdynamics Xelento Remote (1st gen) used. I own this, it just needs EQ. -3db Lowshelf from 250 and +2db Highshelf from 10k- very nice for metal and everything else imo. Used marked sub 500, I'm from Europe, so only paid 320 Euro. Hope you will find a good one!!

Well if the N3 was easily available maybe but it's discontinued, I don't really want the hassle of buying used. + as I mentioned it wasn't fitting 100% well, so I thought I would go with an upgrade.

However, the more I read reviews, the more I am at a loss. Etymotics really seems difficult while walking (and most of the time, I listen while walking...), and JVC and Final have lots of not very good reviews... I also really want something where I can replace the cable if needed because harmonics are very annoying to me.

I was hoping raising the budget would make things easier but maybe I should look at cheaper stuff?

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #1,926 of 2,105

Well if the N3 was easily available maybe but it's discontinued, I don't really want the hassle of buying used. + as I mentioned it wasn't fitting 100% well, so I thought I would go with an upgrade.

However, the more I read reviews, the more I am at a loss. Etymotics really seems difficult while walking (and most of the time, I listen while walking...), and JVC and Final have lots of not very good reviews... I also really want something where I can replace the cable if needed because harmonics are very annoying to me.

I was hoping raising the budget would make things easier but maybe I should look at cheaper stuff?
Really not easy to find something with bullet style. Hope that you get more replies of people who own a bullet style one and listen to metal too. Maybe the Tanchjim darling could be interesting, at least I was interested in it cause I own the tanchjim oxygen, which is a very nice iem, but not really for metal imo. Think the darling could be better for this genre. https://www.headfonia.com/tanchjim-darling-review/2/

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,927 of 2,105
Really not easy to find something with bullet style. Hope that you get more replies of people who own a bullet style one and listen to metal too. Maybe the Tanchjim darling could be interesting, at least I was interested in it cause I own the tanchjim oxygen, which is a very nice iem, but not really for metal imo. Think the darling could be better for this genre. https://www.headfonia.com/tanchjim-darling-review/2/
No, I doubt the Darling will do it.

graph - 2023-07-02T171125.490.png

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,928 of 2,105
No, I doubt the Darling will do it.

graph - 2023-07-02T171125.490.png
When you see the graph o.k.- not really. Could you add the Etymotics (er4xr, 2xr) to the graph please, cause he mentioned them before. Thanx! Sometimes I read the 2xr are great, except the insertion depth. But Etymotics instead of Sony.. hmm.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,929 of 2,105
When you see the graph o.k.- not really. Could you add the Etymotics (er4xr, 2xr) to the graph please, cause he mentioned them before. Thanx! Sometimes I read the 2xr are great, except the insertion depth. But Etymotics instead of Sony.. hmm.
https://squig.link/

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,930 of 2,105
Jul 2, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #1,931 of 2,105

Some people like myself don’t mind the insertion depth. So it’s not an “issue” for everyone. The isolation you get is also definitely worth it if you want or need isolation.

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,932 of 2,105
Did anyone listened to the Penon 10th anniversary, cause I saw the reviews of tonedeafmonk and akros and I'm really interested in this one, but I'm not sure if it's good for metal (melodeath), for something like Metallica tdm said yes.. thanx!!

Update 21.07.23:....o.k., Redcarmoose made a review about it and said the 10th is a joy to listen to metal (and very good for all genres). Full review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-10th-anniversary.26501/reviews

Already ordered, you can get the 10th from Penon directly with a free gift, in Europe from Hifi Passion

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #1,933 of 2,105
Some people like myself don’t mind the insertion depth. So it’s not an “issue” for everyone. The isolation you get is also definitely worth it if you want
True, can surely be something really good too! I just wanted to mention it. I nearly ordered them once cause of the affordable price and the high quality (2xr). So you would recommend them for metal?

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #1,934 of 2,105
Some people like myself don’t mind the insertion depth. So it’s not an “issue” for everyone. The isolation you get is also definitely worth it if you want or need isolation.

Do you use them while walking or only while still at desk/home or so? I've really read some reviews saying they were impractical to use while walking. But I can ask in the Ety motic thread of course.

Regarding the graph, what I liked when I had the N3, more than the sound signature (which is an bit of an obscure concept to me to be honest), was how detailed the sound was compared to the average 50$ Sennheiser/Shure you usually see in retail shops. And it's that detail that I would like to keep or improve with my next purchase.

Jul 2, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,935 of 2,105
True, can surely be something really good too! I just wanted to mention it. I nearly ordered them once cause of the affordable price and the high quality (2xr). So you would recommend them for metal?
I’ve only used the ER4SR. They are good for metal but will be bass light to most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back